PDA

View Full Version : The Pope on his death bed

Ashley
01-04-2005, 05:45 PM
As the title says, the Pope is dying, or as I see on the news now could be dead.

Personally, as a Catholic look at it as a sad sad event. He was a great Pope, going to World Youth Days and such. Travelling, and being seemingly very charismatic and having a big heart. And the bravery in which he's
dying now is just a testament to him.

I know we have a lot of different religions and beliefs on this board.What are your thoughts on it?.. Be respectful as well, please. Poking fun at someones religious beliefs can hurt as bad as a personal attack on their character.

marilynka
01-04-2005, 06:07 PM
I am from Poland, Pope is from Poland... We all here love him (even if we smb doesn't belive in God)... It's sad, I cry all the time. ;(

marine
01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
well I'm not into religion, he is said to have done a lot and what is sad is that he has to die in front of people, he's way too expose for a man about to die imo.

Kelsey
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I used to be Catholic, but he will still be missed.

Andrew
01-04-2005, 10:02 PM
His death will mean nothing more to me than the death of any other, but i hope he recovers because he seems a nice enough fella.

I think its quite insane how the vatican tries to keep an old dying man alive, at any cost. Thats the weird thing about being the pope. You cant decide your own actions. Even though now the vatican has respected his wish, and dropped taking him to the hospital. Just let old people die peacefully i say. IF they are dying because of age, as the pope is.

Louie
02-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Yeah it's pretty sad that he's dying...........when he dies when are they going to appoint a new pope?

Spire
02-04-2005, 03:45 AM
And the Catholics pull the best April Fool's Joke ever.

frodo1511
02-04-2005, 04:24 AM
This is a sad day indeed.
Who has the best chance of becoming the next Pope, if JPII dies?

Mags
02-04-2005, 04:39 AM
The thing is...the guys been dying for a while. Here's a quote from the BBC biography of him.

"He had a tumour removed from his colon in 1992, dislocated his shoulder in 1993, broke his femur in 1994 and had his appendix removed in 1996.

In 2001 an orthopaedic surgeon confirmed what had been suspected for some time - that the Pope was suffering from Parkinson's disease."

The first list just seems like bad luck, but Parkinson's is debilitating, and he's just been...on display the whole time. He's 84 years old...I mean...I dunno. I understand that's how the rules work, that they can't choose a new Pope until the current one passes, but it seems somewhat unnecessary. I dunno.

Oh well. Conclave will be interesting. I don't have any specific thoughts on his passing, as I'm not Catholic, and I don't agree with a lot of his beliefs, but I do believe he's served the world well and he will be missed.

deviljet88
02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
The man can't perform the full mass without feeling entirely exhausted. God wants him to go to Heaven. In his current state he can't exactly help the Church much. Good luck to whoever's the next Pope.

Liam
02-04-2005, 12:21 PM
In his current state he is helping the Church a lot. Think about the inspiration he is giving to people all over the world. The man is a fighter - he is more than partially responsible for the downfall of Communism in eastern Europe, he survived 3 gunshot wounds in an assassination attempt, and now he is providing a perfect example of how to die with dignity and grace.

The detractors should stop for a moment and think about what difference they have made to the world before they go on about how little they feel the Pope did. No, really.

Andrew
02-04-2005, 01:02 PM
In his current state he is helping the Church a lot. Think about the inspiration he is giving to people all over the world. The man is a fighter - he is more than partially responsible for the downfall of Communism in eastern Europe, he survived 3 gunshot wounds in an assassination attempt, and now he is providing a perfect example of how to die with dignity and grace.

The detractors should stop for a moment and think about what difference they have made to the world before they go on about how little they feel the Pope did. No, really.
I don't think there have been many that have questioned what the pope has done, there have just been a few people who don't share his beliefs who have said his death will mean nothing to them.

It is also alot easier for someone in his position to make an impact on the world or you could say about the impact he has had with his belief on condoms which hasn't helped the AIDS problem.

I wouldn't say that the way he is having to die shows dignity or grace with him having to die infront of everyone and until recently was having his decisions made for him by the vatican to get medical treatment.

seventhson
02-04-2005, 01:51 PM
His present situation saddens me. I am praying for his complete recovery, unless it is God's will to call the Pope from this life to the next stage of life after death. Then I pray for the Pope to have a peaceful transition from earth to Heaven.

Peace,
SeventhSon

Renegade
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
They announced he should be dying within the next few hours. I didn't really follow much of his campaign, but from what I heard, he was a great Pope. I remember an incident when he watched break-dancers dance at the Vatican.

Louie
02-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Well, it happened. It was on like 15 different TV channels.........

Digital_Ice
02-04-2005, 07:29 PM
yes, its official.
no moire rumours from italian news reports

this comes strait from the vatican.

im sure he will be surley missed.
he died at 1937 GMT

Ranman
02-04-2005, 09:54 PM
R.I.P. Pope JPII

deviljet88
03-04-2005, 04:00 AM
The only inspiration I can draw from it is an old man can manage to hold together such a worldwide organization. Before his recent state he was an inspiration. What name does the next Pope take up?

Ashley
04-04-2005, 03:43 AM
What name does the next Pope take up?

The next 9... well 8 days now, are a mourning period for Catholics, and those who want to mourn. He'll be buried between the 4th and 6th day after death, and then the 117 cardinals gather for the Conclave I believe 15 days after the death. In the Conclave the cardinals elect a new pope, they locked in the Vatican, no phones, no TV, no newspapers, no nothing except each other until they settle on a 2/3 +1 majority. If they vote and they don't get that majority the papers on which they write the name of who they voted for is burned and the smoke will come out black of the Sistine Chapel. If they get the majority the smoke comes out white and the new pope is introduced to the crowd. That pope picks his own name, taken from Saints.

Should be an interesting time for Catholics.

Adding to what Liam said, he also spread Christianity to Africa, helps with Christian/Jewish ties, was the first Pope to visit the the Wailing Wall, and started World Youth Day. Also, his suffering was very inspiring because it was graceful and dignified. He found suffering to be a gift from God.

deviljet88
04-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Since I go to a Catholic school, here's some stuff the headmaster rambled on about the Pope: Brought about the collapse of Communism in Europe, was the most travelled pope in all time (well technology does help), was the first Pope to help religious ties by praying in a synagogue and also a mosque along with Ashley's Wailing Wall example. The teacher also believed that the Pope publicly suffered in office to emulate what Jesus did suffering in public during his death. Just thought I'd add a bit of Catholic opinion.