PDA

View Full Version : Mmk, I Need a Disease...Who Wants to Give me one?

Kelsey
29-03-2005, 05:03 PM
They say 'write what you know' right? Well, screw that for just a second. With the number of days until my important meeting steadily decreasing, I have 'stupidly' gone and decided to up the stakes in my screenplay. My character is now going to have some disease which makes reaching her goal a thousand times more important. So here is where I need *your* help.

After combing through various websites, books, and hounding writer friends, I have come up with very little ideas for my main character. Does anyone know of any kinds of diseases or something along those lines that match the following criteria:

* She's the hero of my story, therefore she cannot be in a hospital bed the entire time. She is active and throughout the script does extensive traveling.

* I've thought about the obvious cancer story, but that seems rather cliched, and I'm not sure I want it to be something as serious as cancer. Plus, I think that breaks the above criteria.

* It would fit right in if it required some kind of donation of some kind. Her freakishly small immediate family must not have what she is looking for, therefore finding her estranged mother who abandoned her at a young age becomes all the more important.

This isn't a main part of the storyline, just a driving force. I'm still at square one really, so anything anyone can offer would help greatly.

And, I know my audience here :), so if a silly answer could be paired with a serious one, that would be great :)

hasselbrad
29-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Hodgkin's Disease was the first thing that popped to mind. It's one of the most treatable forms of cancer, so it won't require some miraculous, bullshit cure. It sounds scary, and most people don't just think "cancer" when they hear it.
Here's a good starting place. Linky-winky. (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/hodgkinsdisease.html)

Meteora
29-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Psoriasis

Kelsey
29-03-2005, 05:51 PM
For this Hodgkin's Disease, I was going to ask if it affects younger people, but then I remembered - this is what 7th Heaven's Barry Watson had right? One thing I kind of want to steer clear of is a loss of hair.

hasselbrad
29-03-2005, 06:04 PM
Picky...picky. ;)

Try this. (http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/myelodysplastic_syndromes.html)

or this. (http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/aplastic_anemia.html)

acliff
29-03-2005, 06:14 PM
A bullet lodged near her medulla oblongata, a throwback from her years in a top secret goverment task force, she'd tell you how it got there, but then she'd have to kill you (highly likely, she's a tad unhinged, having a bullet lodged in your brain will do that to a person). This bullet moves closer and closer, and she has very little time to find the only doctor in the world who is dextrous enough, and insured for enough to perform the worlds first concious brain transplant. Unfortunately for her, this doctor is deaf and mute, and is currently under the iron grip of Darth Genocide, famous for his carefully planned assasinations of top world figures and relishing in his ability to mutilate female secret agents, after luring them into his unmistakeable charms. She must learn the ways of the Source, and craft her own laserRapier (tm), in order to challenge the evil, a little left of right wing emperor of all the known universe. Only then can she fight for her life under the operating table of a doctor prone to epileptic fits at crucial moments of operations....

And to make things more difficult, Darth Genocide, turns out to be a woman, is heroine's mother, and is the only blood type match, and said heroine must keep her own mother's decapitated head alive, until which point she can transplant it into her own cranium.

EDIT: All the while trying (not successfully) to control her cravings for sex with other unfeasibly attractive women...
EDIT EDIT: And also, because she is a genetically revved up super female, she is always really hot, and cannot wear many clothes, even in the coldest of climates.

duckula
29-03-2005, 07:14 PM
If you want to make it a transplant thing then you need to give her some obscure antigen combination (not sure of the exact mechanics of the blood type process). A good transplant needing disease is polycystic kidney disease (causes loads of cysts on the kidney), because its a kidney disease its easy for family to donate (one for each person).

seitanic
29-03-2005, 08:20 PM
Broca's Aphasia

it will save you the trouble of having to write lines for her for awhile ;)

barrington
29-03-2005, 08:59 PM
How about Obesity?

Mags
29-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Endometriosis. Ouch.

Kelsey
29-03-2005, 10:48 PM
If you want to make it a transplant thing then you need to give her some obscure antigen combination (not sure of the exact mechanics of the blood type process). A good transplant needing disease is polycystic kidney disease (causes loads of cysts on the kidney), because its a kidney disease its easy for family to donate (one for each person).

Ducky, I'm intrigued. Does this require major hospitalization?

Thankyou everyone for your input, please keep them coming. I'm considering making it some vague thing that is never fully explained, but I don't think that will pass.

duckula
30-03-2005, 12:22 AM
I believe the condition leads to complete renal failure. This is remedied with dialysis until a donor kidney can be found.

Edit:Link. (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000471.htm)

Bait
30-03-2005, 04:28 AM
ebola virus is always fun

duckula
30-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I think it's a bit more terminal than kelsey is looking for.

barrington
30-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Ebola Lite?

acliff
30-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Diet ebola, makes you lose weight fast.

frodo1511
31-03-2005, 12:43 AM
HIV. stays in your immune system for as long as a couple years before you actually know about it.

SimplyKnightley
31-03-2005, 12:53 AM
HIV is too tragic. i don't like to see the hero die in movies, or knowing they will die of some illness eventually. kidney failure requiring transplant is my choice. plus there are obvious symptoms for acting out ;P

Scott
31-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Testicular cancer

Kelsey
31-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Ducky and everyone, thanks. I'm trying not to have to include any kind of disease, but I am thinking that is what I'll definitely go with if this kind of thing proves to be necessary for my script.

Bait
31-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Testicular cancer

yes im sure that will fit the females role perfectly :icon_roll

PhoeniX
31-03-2005, 08:27 AM
She could be blind through some illness.

Scott
31-03-2005, 10:50 AM
yes im sure that will fit the females role perfectly :icon_roll

Ah but that is the brilliance of it!