PDA

View Full Version : Drug laws

mike
19-03-2005, 09:31 PM
whats peoples opinons on laws to do with canabis around the world? Is it legal or not in your country and do you agree with the laws of your country?

Liam
19-03-2005, 09:48 PM
Depends on which country. Illegal in Australia, legal in the Netherlands. Sort of. Or something.

I couldnt care less about the laws, cause I dont use it. Its not like the law stops many people from doing it anyway.

johnnyboy
19-03-2005, 10:24 PM
It's legal in my native country. Don't understand why it isn't everywhere, but whatever, about 1/4 of my school smokes up regularly, so it doesn't make much difference whether its illegal in the States or not (I live in the States you see). There is a smaller percentage of highschool students that smoke weed in the Netherlands than in the United States, funny, thinks I.

mike
19-03-2005, 10:32 PM
would u say it easyer to get hold of drugs in america rather than alchole if your under 21 (sorry about spelling i am dyslexic)

johnnyboy
19-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I suppose it all depends on who you know.

If you know some people in college, you can almost bet you can get alcohol at any time, but there are always people who have it.

Drugs are easier I suppose, but I'd say its about equal, and pretty easy both ways.

hannahjane
20-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Drugs are f*cked. And they f*ck people up. Thus, we shut f*ck them off! Why; aren't we all able to get high off life itself? (What's that? )

mike
20-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Drugs are f*cked. And they f*ck people up. Thus, we shut f*ck them off! Why; aren't we all able to get high off life itself? (What's that? )

i agree

the reason i asked is because in the UK they lowered the clasifcation and the police all but stoped proscuting for personal use of the drug, but now after new research on the long turm afects of canabis using the govoment are making a complete U turn. I just wanted to guage other peoples opinons on the matter :)

hannahjane
20-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Fair do's....I hold nothing against you for it! I'm glad that you agree; you are wise indeed. :)

EDIT: Do I detect a hint of anti-Labour in your post?...

mike
20-03-2005, 01:08 AM
hmm i know this is spaming but here gose any way

im not so much anti labour as more anti 2 faced lying untrustworty good for nothing poloticians which i know basicly means the lot of them but mainly blair :|

i dont like drugs and i wont do them myself i do think they are fucked up but i have alot of friends that do them!

What realy pisses me of is that a govoment will compromise important laws like drug controll to win votes from young people, and to alow them to hit crime prevention targets by just decriminlising things rather than put more money into the right areas and takling the problems head on!

Bait
20-03-2005, 01:38 AM
alcohol is extremely easy to get as well as weed. where i am at though and because i only know a couple people that smoke weed regularly it s harder to get.

yesterday i offered someone $5(only to bums walking around...a lot of people do it just to be nice i guess :P) to buy me a bottle of vodka and they did...thats how easy it is, just one question away. weed...well that is a phone call away too for me, now. before though it was rare to get anything worth smoking unless i called my friend that got some shit that you take 7 hits and quit feeling nothing :P

im sure it was grass with little weed for smell...anyways they are easy to get underage so i dont care about the law, lowering the limit to 18 for alcohol would make it even easier (i wish it was 18 here...that $5 could have gotten me the bigger bottle ;) ) but i can deal with what we have here...

hannahjane
20-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Hmm...I'm not a big drinker either. I mean, I drink...and I'll get rat-arsed, but not on a consistent basis. I hate the way it's expected of the younger generations - it's degrading almost. Or, am I being a tit now? I completely agree with what you're saying though, Bait, it's incredibly easy to get hold of both weed and alcohol. It's like attempting to stop kids having sex before they're sixteen - it's just not gonna happen (propoganda all you like but if people wanna shag then people are gonna shag). But that's another topic, because that really would be spamming of the highest order!

mike
20-03-2005, 02:06 AM
im 18 now but i have easily been getting served in tescos (like wall-mart) since i was 14 so i cant realy critisise young drinking to much because i did do it alot myself altho i didnt feal it was expected of me i just wanted to give it ago and liked it lol

i like to have a drink nd a gd laugh with my mates but i much prefer a quiet night in still an experianceid recoment to try at least once to any 14yr old is to come home at stupid o'clock in the mornig completly ratarsed after a realy funny night lol

and just to add something interesting the best thing bout drinking, in my home town atleast is its cheep theres a club that charges £9 so thats aprox $4.40 for entry then its a free bar for the whole night from 10pm-2am

Scott
20-03-2005, 08:39 AM

Pull your head out of your ass. Drug users are only hurting them selves, it's their choice. I smoke marijuana, and I don't see how me smoking is going to affect other people going about their own lives.

hannahjane
20-03-2005, 12:13 PM
I'd oblige to your request if my head were indeed up my arse, but it's not so... kindly piss off. I'm entitled to my opinion like everybody else on this forum (and in the world - including you); I think it's under Freedom of Speech or summit in the Human Right's Legislation.

Anyway the point is, it's absolutely ludicrous to say that "drug users are only hurting themselves". Your marijuana habit may be harmless now, but what about when you get so f*cking off your face that you decide it'll be fun to hijack a car, or some random shit, and you mow someone down? What about all the heroin addicts who get so addicted that they're stealing from me, and others, to pay for their habit? Burglaries, street muggings....What about the money that WE (law abiding folk) have to pay through TAX to pay for all the bloody health care it takes to wheen you idiots off the stuff. Everytime you fall off a building potted up to your eyeballs, we're gonna have to pay - and it's also draining the NHS' (in the UK) resources. No wonder we've not got any beds available ever, when there's drunken and drug-abusing fools taking them all up.

A lad who used to go to my school is lying in a coma at this precise moment (and I shit not - although I didn't know him so well), because he WAS hit by a car, which a group of 20 year olds had decided to rob when they were smashed on drugs. Then they ran off the nobheads. So I think it's utterly naive and ignorant of you to say that drugs don't hurt anyone bar the people that are using them. You selfish prick, why don't you take YOUR head out of your ass (where it so obviously is, if you can't see the damage drugs inflict on the world).

Leonie
20-03-2005, 09:01 PM
The Netherlands & drugs. Heh.

Legally, you're allowed to have a certain amount of softdrugs on you (wouldn't know how much), and there are coffeeshops where one can legally purchase said softdrugs. However, it's illegal to grow the happy plants. Or mushrooms. Drugs miraculously (and illegally) appear in the shops, after which they can be sold legally. Weirdness.

Softdrugs are illegal, but tolerated. It's what we call the 'gedoogbeleid', a word that has no translation because no other country was ridiculous enough to come up with this incredibly well thought out plan.
Harddrugs *are* illegal though.

We are also in the process of rounding up a failed experiment where marihuana was prescribed as a painkiller for cancer patients for example. Why did it fail? Nobody's going to buy pot at the pharmacy when they can buy it for far less, and still legally, at the local coffeeshop. Silly government :icon_bigg

Not that I care, I don't do drugs anyway.

A lad who used to go to my school is lying in a coma at this precise moment (and I shit not - although I didn't know him so well), because he WAS hit by a car, which a group of 20 year olds had decided to rob when they were smashed on drugs. Then they ran off the nobheads. So I think it's utterly naive and ignorant of you to say that drugs don't hurt anyone bar the people that are using them. You selfish prick, why don't you take YOUR head out of your ass (where it so obviously is, if you can't see the damage drugs inflict on the world).

I reckon you don't approve of drinking alcohol either?

I think there's a huge difference between soft and harddrugs. Softdrugs generally don't hurt other people. Sure, schizophrenia & random misbehaviour cakes, but I don't see how that's any different from getting pissed. And no, I don't think we should forbid the use of alcohol as well. God no :icon_bigg

Harddrugs are an entirely different story. They turn people into will-less examples of the phrase pathetic in my opinion.

Foeni
20-03-2005, 09:32 PM
All kinds of drugs are illegal in Denmark, which I think is fair since it's dangerous stuff. I know a lot think that marihuana and the soft drugs aren't dangerous. Scientists have already proved that wrong. First of all, you get addicted whether you know it or not. Secondly, many who do soft drugs get into socities where it's accepted to do hard drugs, too. At some point they will be doing hard drugs themselves. At least most of them. I've known people that did soft drugs, and talked to people who think it's allright to do soft drugs. Their best argument is that cigarettes and alcohol are as dangerous. First, yes it is, due to addiction, but it doesn't lead you to hard and far more dangerous drugs. Secondly, it's very likely that if tobacco and alcohol was discovered now, it would be illegal, too. The only reason that they don't make it illegal, is that it's a big part of hour life. People drink wine to their dinner. That the reason it's not prohibited.

Flightfreak
20-03-2005, 09:36 PM
i agree with Leonie's opinion.

What do you do with the people who use marihuana for medical purpose?
Yes indeed marihuana is used as medicine and its proved that it has healing powers.

Foeni
20-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Some people have a great use of it. If they get from a hospital where you are sure it's not some shitty stuff, it's allright. That way they can also control how much he/she gets. And make him/her unaddicted again.

mike
20-03-2005, 09:43 PM
i disagree with alchole being as dangerous

obviosly exseive amounts of it are but then that gose for anything, you can always have to much of something

however it has been proven that drinking a glass of red wine a day (i belive its only 1 glass) actualy helps prevent heart disease where as cigerets canabiss and any hard drugs have absolotly no health benafits at all whether they are used in moderation or not!

Leonie
20-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Some people have a great use of it. If they get from a hospital where you are sure it's not some shitty stuff, it's allright.

That's actually why it isn't totally illegal in the Netherlands in the first place - this way, the government has at least a little bit of control, and they're hoping that this way, at least the quality will be ok. It's our world famous 'we can't stop it, so let's condone it' approach.

As for marihuana being dangerous or not - marihuana nowadays is much more concentrated than it was back in the days, which is why it's more dangerous now.

I still stick to my alcohol argument. Drugs are bad because softdrugs lead to harddrugs? It's not like you can't make a transition from relatively harmless drinks too more hardcore stuff. Most alcoholics start with having a beer every now and then too.

however it has been proven that drinking a glass of red wine a day (i belive its only 1 glass) actualy helps prevent heart disease where as cigerets canabiss and any hard drugs have absolotly no health benafits at all whether they are used in moderation or not!

Not true. Marihuana has been proven to be a painkiller with few dangerous side effects. In the Netherlands it's actually been prescribed to people who'd normally be on heavy painkillers such as morphine. Take your pick. I know I'd rather be high.

Flightfreak
20-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Marihuana it self is not really a big problem, not more than drinking alcohol.
It becomes a problem because it’s pushed in illegality. The more governments push it away and make it illegal the closer you (as user) get with the danger of hard drugs, because you need to buy it an illegal circuits, with people in the underground of society.
Bad marihuana is not really a big problem either, you will know it that you smoked bad pot, but its not really as life threatening like taking bad XTC.
I don’t know what is better, make it legal but socially unaccepted, or make it illegal and push it back in a dark corner.
I personally prefer the first one.

Foeni
20-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I still stick to my alcohol argument. Drugs are bad because softdrugs lead to harddrugs? It's not like you can't make a transition from relatively harmless drinks too more hardcore stuff. Most alcoholics start with having a beer every now and then too.

True, but if you look at percentage. It's higher when you look at people going from soft drugs to hard drugs than going from beer to becoming an liqour addict.

Flightfreak
20-03-2005, 09:53 PM
thats not what the drugs centra told me.

Foeni
20-03-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm just saying how it is in Denmark. Almost every 30+ drinks wine to their dinner. Very very few of them are addicts.

Leonie
20-03-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm just saying how it is in Denmark. Almost every 30+ drinks wine to their dinner. Very very few of them are addicts.
And how many 30+ drug addicts do you know?

mike
20-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Marihuana has been proven to be a painkiller

very true i did forget that and i shouldnt have because my uncle used it alot (ilegaly) for his pain befor he died and it did him alot more good than any other legal perscribed drug he could have got

We are also in the process of rounding up a failed experiment where marihuana was prescribed as a painkiller for cancer patients for example. Why did it fail? Nobody's going to buy pot at the pharmacy when they can buy it for far less

Thats realy interesting because in britain we are lucky enough to have free health care so legalising canabis for persciption use ONLY might work here.

there would be no gain in the patient buying it ilegaly on the street because he would reseve it free from the govoment and we could still crack down on ilegal users

ps wow my fist 2 page thread started by me :)

Foeni
21-03-2005, 08:32 AM
And how many 30+ drug addicts do you know?

You see quite a lot of them. They are normally on hard drugs. The wine thing was an example. People below 30 just drinks something else (of course some below 30 drinks wine to their dinner, too). Maybe not for dinner, but then every weekend drinking 15 beers or something. And I might say that for a lot, the weekend starts thursday night.

hannahjane
21-03-2005, 12:28 PM
Mmm...I'm not liking the way we're linking drugs which are being abused socially, and drugs which are prescribed for medicinal purposes. It's a completely different thing. By all means use cannabis, and marijuana to ease the pain of ME (I know it especially helps ME sufferers) or whatever illness you have (if, it is prescribed by a doctor or whosever). I have no problem in the NHS (or whichever health service regarding your worldly whereabouts) prescribing the drugs as medication.

But socially, I don't find them acceptable. None of my immediate friends do drugs, but I do know A LOT of people who do so called "soft drugs", and - in all honesty (sorry If I offend) - it's an aspect of them I really don't like. And perhaps I can't really explain it, because I'm not really abject to alcohol drinkers. Like I've said I'm not a consistent drinker, mainly because I don't need to pour chemicals down my neck to get a little happy (I'm that sort of person anyway), but if I do go out to a party, or clubs or whatever, I will have a bit to drink. I think I view drugs as a lot more serious than alchohol because that's how I was brought up, and always taught, by my school and by general government propaganda. As far as I'm aware I've always been dead-set against them. I just don't see that they do any good in the world (except to those who require them medically), and to be honest when I hear of someone doing drugs, I wonder why they feel they have to. In my opinion, being a drug addict/user (they're basically the same thing no matter what people say) is not a respectable thing at all. And I'm still adamantly against all with the opinion that soft drugs do no harm, read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4255741.stm) (then read this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4187007.stm) for the truly horrible details) and see if you change your mind.

It's not the drugs themselves I object too, I think it's the fact that most people who do drugs tend to associate with things/people I'm not really a fan of. I agree also with what people have been saying about how soft drugs can lead to hard drugs, that has been proven. If people mix in the same circles - and everyone has to have a dealer. And it's probably true to say that dealer will deal in both hard, and soft drugs. Urgh!! I'm getting stressed now I just hate them. I'm sorry. A lad called Adam was expelled in my school coz he was constantly stoned - like all the time, and he dealt and I can't stress the number of times he was fucked (beaten up); he used to come in black and blue all the time off his face. Now he's unemployed and has no qualifications because the school found his drugs on him and kicked him out. Where did that drug use get him?

I just feel it's a bit sad that people have to constantly look to drugs and excessive amounts of alcohol to have a bit of fun. What happened to a nice night in with a good film, and yer best mates? Or going out for a nice meal (granted with a glass of wine; I condone the use of alcohol. But condemn the absolutely excessive amounts some people drink these days), or I dunno, having a nice game of pool with ya mates (oh yes!). Y'know socially acceptable activities. Rather than going to hang out on a street corner and smoke some dope. It's just so unnappealing, as is the huge binge-drinking culture emerging in Britain these days (what the fuck are the government playing at with 24-hour licensing?).

mike
21-03-2005, 06:03 PM
what the fuck are the government playing at with 24-hour licensing

im on the fence with 24hr drinking altho i do think the bad points were hyped up abit to much!

i would give reasons for that opinon but i am getting very muddled with words, and it would just turn out looking like mindless drivelle altho i can asure you if i had a better grasp of my native toung i would put up a good agument :)

im my city i do know that alot of pubs are not actualy going to aply for the licence because they dont belive that the extra cose of buying the license will be worth it because they dont think there will be much intrest in the extra hours.

my job has a very strong drink culture, the brit army are proud of there reputaion arount the world as drinkeres altho me personaly im not a big drinker (comapred to some squdies i know but when i need to i can drink :))

a suprising fact maybe to some people is that 90% (something like that please dont quote me on exact amount) of british soldiers have tried drugs befor enlisting in the army. this suprising number has been put down to the general nature of the soldier as being a thrill seaking loony

altho it must be stresed that any drug use when enlisted in the army is absolutly unacepteble and can result in imidiate discharge. i had 6 random drugs test last yr and i do mean completly random! its bloody anoying they allways seem to get you just after you've had a piss and then you need to wait in a room for stupid hours with NCO's abusing you because you cant piss and they cant go home untill you do.

20 mins standing with your nob in your hand with anouther guy watcing to make sure you dont cheet isnt the most plesant experiance

hope you find that interesting :)

Andrew
22-03-2005, 12:12 AM
I reckon they should make it 24 hour drinking as like you said most places would only stay open for abit longer and not take full advantage of it which would mean that everyone would leave the pubs and clubs at different times which from my experience would help as the trouble can be quite big at chucking out time and should make any trouble easier to contain.

hannahjane
22-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I see your point, Andrew, but at the same time Labour are saying that they're gonna introduce loads more police onto the streets in preparation for the new license. If this is the case then it's obvious that they believe violence and criminal damage will go up, else why increase the number of police requirements? See my point? I don't know why they didn't think of anybody clicking onto that...

I still think your sig is fucking boss though.

Mike (Nash ;)), you make me laugh.

mike
22-03-2005, 05:43 PM
Mike (Nash ), you make me laugh.

i aim to please :)