PDA

View Full Version : A treatise about cell phones

Meteora
17-03-2005, 02:39 AM
They are to be used for communication and, occasionally, as a clock. Fancy ones with cameras, text messaging, and the like are for giggling schoolgirls and spoiled rich kids.

Proof:
http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/zekemeteora/schoolgirl.jpg http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/zekemeteora/richschoolgirl.jpg

SimplyKnightley
17-03-2005, 03:04 AM
i use mine as an organizer. i'm no schoolgirl. but i still giggle.

Ashley
17-03-2005, 03:15 AM
I giggle with glee as I take pictures of my Uggs with my camera phone.... :icon_err: I do see people like that though.

Scott
17-03-2005, 04:25 AM
I've got a phone, but I never use it. It's a Siemens A35 and I got it about 4 years ago and haven't upgraded since. The reason why I don't carry my phone with me, is because if I need to make a call or someone needs to call me, it can wait until I get home.

Liam
17-03-2005, 04:45 AM
First point - you cant use an old english word like 'treatise' in combination with the American term 'cell phone'. Its a 'mobile phone'. You lot have gone to great lengths to 'customise' the English language, so you cant chop and change. You've brought it on yourself :p

Second point - any and all mobile phones have text messaging and cameras are becoming standard features. My phone has both for the simple reason that my old phone died in the arse and needed replacing. I had some cash at the time so I bought a good phone. Do I use the text messaging and camera? Yes. Not using it would be like buying a DVD player, then putting it on a shelf and admiring it.

Dionysus
17-03-2005, 04:50 AM
I'm the only person i know who doesn't have a mobile phone
i fucking hate them, those ring tones people have make me want to tear their eyes out, and people are amways SMSing and talking on them in public, and in cinemas it drives me crazy, i was watching a movie an while ago and a guys mobile rings, he answers it and starts talking in the middle of a movie, i threw a lighter at him and nearly got into a fight :D

Ashley
17-03-2005, 06:01 AM
I'll admit it. I couldn't live without my mobile/cell phone.
1. I'm hardly ever home.
2. I don't really use my home phone anyway. It's more for telemarketers and annoyance calls.

Cameras are standard here now... well just about. I'm still one of the few who doesn't have one. I use my friends though and we take pictures of unsuspecting people... it's weirdly fun.

Leonie
17-03-2005, 06:19 AM
Hmmm - I've got a mobile phone yes. It's the size of a fridge, and you can drop kick it without breaking it. What more could I ask for :icon_razz

I have never ever *bought* a phone, because I just don't feel like spending a load of money on the latest coolest phone, only to be totally uncool after three weeks, because there is now an even newer, cooler phone out there. Bit of a waste of money. So I wait for friends to get a new phone and nick their old ones :D

Since I moved out I've also actually started to use my mobile for other purposes than just ringing mum to tell her that I'm getting on my bike and should be home in half an hour provided nothing happens. We don't have a house phone here you see...

deviljet88
17-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I just got a phone (Nokia 3200), and since I don't have a proper digital camera yet, the camera inbuilt is handy. So is its radio function since I don't have a mp3 player or the like.

Scott
17-03-2005, 10:39 AM
i fucking hate them, those ring tones people have make me want to tear their eyes out, and people are amways SMSing and talking on them in public, and in cinemas it drives me crazy, i was watching a movie an while ago and a guys mobile rings, he answers it and starts talking in the middle of a movie, i threw a lighter at him and nearly got into a fight :D

ASSHOLES!
And they always act like they're the fucking victim. They even have messages before the movie starts to turn off your damn phones, but these brain dead fuckwits think they're an exception to the rule.

Andrew
17-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Text messages are a good way of telling someone to Fuck Off without actually having to speak to them aswell :)

What does everyone currently have as their ringtone then?

Liam
17-03-2005, 11:28 AM
A phone ringing.

Musical ringtones drive me fucking mad.

Andrew
17-03-2005, 11:35 AM
A phone ringing.

Musical ringtones drive me fucking mad.
lol, I have The Strokes 12:51 mainly because it gets all of my friends angry.

Leonie
17-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Sunburn, as of yesterday night :icon_bigg

hasselbrad
17-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I got a new one recently, mainly because a new battery for the old one would have cost me $20 more. It's a Motorola something-or-other. It flips open. It has a display on it so I can see who's calling, which I find very handy.
Sorry Liam, but I have a different ringtone set so I know it's my phone.

Meteora
17-03-2005, 10:54 PM
First point - you cant use an old english word like 'treatise' in combination with the American term 'cell phone'. Its a 'mobile phone'. You lot have gone to great lengths to 'customise' the English language, so you cant chop and change. You've brought it on yourself
If you were going to criticize my word usage, you should have at least brought up the fact that a treatise must include a methodic explanation of logic used to come to a conclusion, which I 'accidently' omitted. ;)

any and all mobile phones have text messaging and cameras are becoming standard features.
It doesn't matter whether your phone has the features, it only matters whether you know it exists or not. For example, my phone has text messaging, but I don't know it exists. Thus, I can own my phone without being a spoiled rich kid or a giggly schoolgirl.

I only have one because my parents think I need it for emergencies whilst driving.

Mags
18-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I got my first phone when I turned 16 and started driving, mostly for safety purposes, and that was 4 years ago. Christ that makes me feel old. I have a Sanyo SCP 8100, which hopefully I will be getting rid of in September when my contract's up. It's a crap phone, and has completely broken twice, to the extent where I can't charge it and it won't even turn on, meaning I lose all the stuff I had on there, like Tetris and some various Muse ringtones. I'm hoping to get a standard Samsung come September...I don't need the camera or fancy stuff.

My current ringtone is the original Alias themesong...shutup, it's awesome.

My phone does have a camera, which I don't use at all since I got my digital camera for Christmas, and I often receive text messages, but I never really send them because it bothers me and it's easier to just call someone.

acliff
18-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I have the most beautiful mobile phone in the world.
Currently with the final fantasy VII battle theme.

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/images/motorolav3.gif
I am a bit of a gadget fiend.

Keyser_so_so
18-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I have a plain old Nokia 3310. I plan to get one that does videos, but only because I've found one that is focking cheap (on 3, £65 I think. And using the top up things, which is what I want). And I can use it with all my friends.

The other thing is, is that I spend £10 in about 3 months, so it's not like I need a credit card monthly tariff phone, and then I'm not going to spend anything more than £80 on a phone. It's a phone, for fuck's sake! Spend that money on something decent! I think mobiles are only useful for when I'm out, they provide safety and help when I'm out without my parents- but to use them as a main communication source is absolutely ridiculous.

Try talking to people, it's much better than texting. I'm sorry, what? I spelt it wrong? Fuck off and learn how talk you abbreviating fuckmook. Also, if you have that thing where it complete your words, then you can stop writing like a fucking retard.

That is all.