PDA

View Full Version : SATs

johnnyboy
13-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I just took the SAT yesterday, Saturday, March 12, 2005. It was 4 hours of fun.

Don't know what I got on it yet.

Anybody want to share their scores and/or stories from SATs?

Jacoby
13-03-2005, 06:43 PM
I got an 1100 the first, and last, time I took it. I took it in November, I think. It was really annoying and I was in a room full of what looked to be extras from the OC. They were also annoying. I forgot everything on the math section because I hadn't taken math in two years.

marine
13-03-2005, 06:50 PM
We don't have SAT over here, more something like A levels but we got them around 18 and it's about 7 subjects over a week, most of 4 hours, and if you don't get you "bac" you end up not going to college (though there are 2 or 3 other ways) and It was easier than what I expected, but I don't like the stress, I mean over a week, it's too much.

ps: it wasn't about SAT, sorry if it was spammig :)

and by the way I got them the first time with distinction even though I did screwed pretty badly two subjects (economy and german)

Meteora
13-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I took it twice; once last May and once last October. The first time I got 700 Verbal and 680 Math, and the second I got 710 Verbal and 670 Math. 1380 both times. :(

I hate math. I should have done better on Verbal.

frodo1511
13-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Quick question: since the addition of the essay makes the possible score go up to 2400, will scores taken before yesterday be converted to the new scale? Or will their be a little note saying "TAKEN BEFORE ADDITION OF ESSAY"?

Jacoby
13-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Quick question: since the addition of the essay makes the possible score go up to 2400, will scores taken before yesterday be converted to the new scale? Or will their be a little note saying "TAKEN BEFORE ADDITION OF ESSAY"?

When you get your scores back it says what you get in Math and then what you get in Verbal. On the new one it will have the writing section as well. So they'll know by that.

frodo1511
14-03-2005, 01:25 AM
^ Ok, that works. I've never taken the thing, so I didn't know.

Renegade
14-03-2005, 01:42 AM
Johnny & Richard, what'd you guys write for the essay?

I wrote something along the lines of 'We need more creativity by way of artists and free-thinkers because it helps promote individualism'. Something shitty like that. I only used up a page and a third.

Mags
14-03-2005, 02:25 AM
Holy Christ...you guys have to write essays now? Is that timed too? Man...that totally blows.

/me laughs the hearty laugh of someone who is already in university and has already taken the SAT.

I did quite crap on Math, I got a total of 1260 I believe...though I got 1110 the first time...then I got a study guide thing and it helped a bunch. The math though...I did terribly on it, but well enough to get into some decent schools. I did quite well on verbal, but I'd known I would on that. I believe I had...a 690 verbal I think? I can't really remember...nearly two years ago and what not.

haha...essays

Richard
14-03-2005, 04:41 AM
It was really annoying and I was in a room full of what looked to be extras from the OC. They were also annoying.

Growing up in my part of Long Beach it was a joy to see a room full of hot white girls.

Johnny & Richard, what'd you guys write for the essay?

I wrote something along the lines of 'We need more creativity by way of artists and free-thinkers because it helps promote individualism'. Something shitty like that. I only used up a page and a third.

The first thing I wrote for the essay was 'Creativity adds individuality to a person'. I was thinking of the word individualism but ended up using individuality instead. I only used up a page, because I didn't get to start on my conclusion. That essay stunk.

Kelsey
14-03-2005, 05:18 AM
I had to write an essay for the SAT IIs, and if your essay on the new SAT I is anything like that one, then I definitely don't envy you. I'm considering taking the new SATs though, just for fun and to see what happens. I liked taking them.

hasselbrad
14-03-2005, 12:38 PM
I did really bad on the SAT. I think I got something like a 960. I'm horrible at math, but neither score was really that high. I made a 24 on the ACT though, and that's what the University of Alabama looked at, so it was fine.
There was no essay portion of the exam when I took it, but then we had to chisel our answers into granite tablets. ;)

Ashley
14-03-2005, 02:58 PM
I never took the SATs I just took the ACTs. I got the minimum to get into KU... which is the only reason I'm in college now. Not something to be proud of but after sleeping through most of the test it was pretty remarkable.

What was the essay about?

Richard
14-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Is creativity needed more in the world today? Something like that I recall.

johnnyboy
15-03-2005, 12:44 AM
The essay proof was something like, "Is majority rule good or a poor guide?" They gave an example of the majority throwing Columbus in jail because he said the world was round. Then you had to set up your point of view and use examples from your experiences or your learning, in 25 minutes, wonderful.

Basically, its yet another part of school you can bullshit.

Liam
15-03-2005, 04:57 AM
I did some sort of a sample SAT online about a year ago cause there was a similar thread on KKW and I had nothing better to do. I scored pretty close to perfect. Not sure if this is a reflection on what the real exam is like, but I would hope that it is a fair bit harder than the sample I took. By 10th grade (or whatever grade you take it in - I was 16 in 10th/11th grade) you should be able to do everything in those tests quite easily.

Someone please tell me that the sample exams are a joke.

hasselbrad
15-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I did some sort of a sample SAT online about a year ago cause there was a similar thread on KKW and I had nothing better to do. I scored pretty close to perfect. Not sure if this is a reflection on what the real exam is like, but I would hope that it is a fair bit harder than the sample I took. By 10th grade (or whatever grade you take it in - I was 16 in 10th/11th grade) you should be able to do everything in those tests quite easily.

No...you are just incredibly brilliant. :p
Seriously, though, I have no idea about the online tests...because Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.
I took the PSAT, which is basically the same thing, and scored a bit higher than I did on the SAT. I wish they'd have had an essay portion when I took it. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit. That would be my motto...if I had a motto.

Meteora
16-03-2005, 12:49 AM
I scored quite a bit lower on the PSATs than on the SATs.

That is probably due to my not trying on the PSATs though.

Jacoby
16-03-2005, 07:12 PM

You took a 3 hour test? I bet it was just a few sample questions from the test. Not the entire, or even half, of the test. I don't think you'd take it just for fun. You might have got perfect on it, though.

My friend Tim's cousin is a genius. He got a 1600 on the test (which is a perfect score) when he was in 9th grade (I think) and then he took the test again in French and got another perfect score. That's amazing.

Liam
17-03-2005, 04:48 AM
No, it was meant to be a three hour test. The online thing I did even went as far as to stop me going to the next question if it didnt think I had spent enough time on it, regardless of whether or not I was correct.

I think I managed to get away with finishing in a shade over two hours. Trust me - when you are bored shitless in a university computer lab with 4 hours until your next class - you'll do nigh on anything.