PDA

View Full Version : Things to do in Denver when you're bread.

duckula
28-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Do you have a signature dish? If you do, post it here. All other good recipes you have are welcome. Share your culinary genius with the W.

apoggy
28-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Want my recipe for Heinz tomato soup? :D

Meteora
28-02-2005, 10:25 PM
I can do hot dogs on the grill.

SimplyKnightley
01-03-2005, 01:59 AM
i'm really good at pouring hot water onto my instant cup noodles.

Charlie
01-03-2005, 02:46 AM
i'm pretty good at making a peanut butter sandwich

deviljet88
01-03-2005, 04:24 AM
I can make toast and cook noodles. Most of the time though, I'd just grab whatever's in the fridge after I come home from school.

Liam
01-03-2005, 04:31 AM
Frank - bring out the pictures of the chicken and bacon masterpieces we crafted. Its obvious these cretins have no appreciation for the finer side of the culinary spectrum.

I am the master of the BBQ. Naturally, wood fired is better, but gas will suffice in a pinch (or a fire ban). The trick is to cook each side of the meat for 15 seconds to seal it, then only turn once during the cooking period (adjust time depending on how you like it). This keeps the juices in and results in a more tender steak. You would think its common sense but the number of morons I see flipping steaks once every two minutes makes me think otherwise. The only 'meat' product that needs to be turned often is sausages.

acliff
01-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Special fried rice

Ingredients:
Handful of cashew nuts
coursely chopped red onion
1 egg
100g small cubed chicken breast
sesame oil
salt and pepper
pinch of hot pepper powder
freshly steamed rice (with peas in if you wish)
soy sauce

Method:
Heat wok to high temperature, pour in sesame oil till smoking.
halve the cashew nuts, throw them in, stir them about for a couple of seconds till golden. Add chicken, stir them about till they're just cooked.
Throw in coursely chopped red onion, briskly cook till red onion starts to sweat. If you've done it well so far, all of this should be quite dry, and there shouldn't be too much liquid out of the chicken or the onion. Salt and pepper slightly, and then start folding in the rice. Once all the rice is folded in, turn, until evenly mixed, add soy sauce, sesame oil, pinch of pepper powder to taste. Serve.
Should take no longer than 10 minutes. (except for the presteamed rice)

Jacoby
05-03-2005, 02:06 AM
I call this one "Pinching the Pepperoni Loaf"

Start with a large mixing bowl and place the following ingredients inside:

1 cup of flour
1 tablespoon of yeast (1 package, basically)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Add 1 cup of very hot (as hot as the faucet allows) water and stir well

Next, add 2 tablespoons of shortening

Stir with a wooden spoon and keep adding flour until it thickens into one great big ball of dough. You can tell when it's ready when you're able to lift the entire ball up with the wooden spoon without it falling apart.

Throw some flour on the table and then plop dough on said flour. Let it sit for five minutes. After that knead the dough for about 3 to 5 minutes. Once that's done let it rise until it's double the size.

Punch it down with the palm of your hand to get the air out and make it into a nice rectangular shape. Sprinkle shreaded mozzarella over the top and lay pieces of pepperoni over the mozzarella. Roll one end until it meets the other (make sure all the pepperoni and cheese stay inside the dough) and then pinch off the openings of the fold and the sides. Place this hunk of dough in a greased bread pan and let it double in size. After it's doubled, bake it in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Take it out.

Eat it.

Edit: I just made a loaf 5 minutes ago...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/devendra87/ovenloaf.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/devendra87/plateloaf.jpg

Digital_Ice
05-03-2005, 11:30 AM
make up some dough.
cook some bacon, sausage, (any meat) etc
get lots cheese cubes

knead the meat and cheese into the dough

half bake it so it is still doughy

enjoy the hot doughy liquid cheesy meaty.... thing.

trust me, it sounds gross but.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... *drools*

oh yeah and to accompany that, and cook two huge burgers and some bacon, get some plastic cheese and lettuce (and tomato/onion, except i dont like em).

then get a bun, and put (from bottom bun to top bun) bun-burger-lettuce-cheese-burger-cheese-bacon-lettuce-other salad-bun

mmmmm...

oh and you'll need a pint or two of guinness!!

i call this meal

"oh bugger, i may die young from clogging up my arteries with this crap, oh well, who cares"

(if arteries is spelt wrong, blame jet)

once_dreaded
28-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Meat-Tater pie, Brit's would call it "Sheperd's pie without the Veggies"

1/2 - 1 lb of hamburger (depending on how many people you're feeding)
8 potatoes
2 packets Brown gravy mix
Butter
Salt & Pepper
Round Pyrex dish
Preheat Oven 350 F, rack in the middle

Peel & boil potatoes. While that's going brown hamburger & drain, mix up brown gravy mix. Maked mashed potatoes with butter only (no milky milk) add salt & pepper to taste. Take half of the mashed potatoes & spread evenly over bottom of pyrex dish, place in oven until crunchy topped & slightly golden brown. Pour brown gravy over hamburger and mix well, pour this mixture over your crunchy tater layer in the pyrex dish. Spread the rest of the mashed potatoes over the top of the hamburger gravy mix and return dish to oven until top is crunchy & slightly golden brown. Tis very yummy during the winter time...mmmmm.

Sorry, can't tell you my Kung Pao Chicken recipe...I would have to kill you afterwards...tis a secret.

Al's Kick your booty salsa if cooking it/Pico de Gallo (proper pronunciation - guy-oh) if keeping it fresh & chunky **Caution this stuff is VERY hot and has been known to cause hallucinations as well as clear your sinuses if eaten too quickly in a short amount of time, thank you Logan for doing the research for me**

4 tomatoes
4 tomatilloes (they're little green things inside a paperish leaf)
1 large onion
1 bunch cilantro
3 cloves of garlic, roasted
4 Jalapenos (should be a tilde over the N but I can't figure out how to do it)
4 Cerano chiles
4 Yellow chiles
1 Lime
Salt & Pepper
Latex gloves (non-powdered, if allergic to latex use non-latex)...why? Cuz cutting up peppers burns the hell outta your hands...you won't notice until two hours later then you'll be crying like a....just trust me, m'kay?

Pico is easy breezy - cut up everything except the lime (you'll squeeze the juice over the mixture before putting it into the fridge) put it into a large tupperware container w/lid & shake it up + down then squeeze lime over the mixture and add salt & pepper, shake shake shake. Place into fridge for fermentation...recommended over night.

Salsa - put a 1/2 cup of water into LARGE pot (it looks like a small amount but the tomatoes have a TON of juice in them...no worries). Cut up tomatoes, tomatilloes, onion, cilantro, and roasted garlic...add to LARGE pot & place over stove burner set to medium heat. Roast all chiles in pan over medium heat, they're ready when you've got them sizzling & popping on all sides. Cut up chiles & add to LARGE pot. Squeeze lime over mixture & add salt & pepper. Let mixture heat to boiling stirring frequently. Once the mixture has boiled for 5 minutes transfer to a blender (I usually do three blendings due to the AMOUNT of salsa this makes) blend on low until the mixture is of sauce consistency. Place mixture into LARGE tuperware container with lid, place into fridge for fermentation...recommended over night. This is awesome to use as a sauce for chicken.

gotasmoke
28-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Packet and Tripe

Ok this is an dish from my home town. It's basically cows guts but it tastes good!

Boil you tripe in slted water until it is tender.
Then remove it and cut it into mouth sized pieces.
Cut your packet (blood pudding) into slices.
Now boil the packet and tripe in milk with onions and slices of bread for about 45 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Rob The BLack Douglas
29-03-2006, 02:43 AM
Recipes
Here are some recipes just to change things up a bit.

The following is my version of the traditional Scot dish Muesli.

1/2 cup raw oatmeal
Vanilla flavored soy milk, enough to soak the oatmeal
Fresh fruit
honey

In a bowl add the oatmeal and slowly stir in the soy milk until all the oats are soaked. Cover and let stand for 45 minutes. Add fruit and a giant spoonfull of honey (I've added apples, peach's, strawberry's, blueberry's, and blackberry's to mine. I also like lemon creme tea honey from The Republic of Tea's). Mix all the ingredients well and refrigerate. Can be done the night before for breakfast the following day, also makes a nice desert.

Veggie Philly Style Sandwitch

Thin sliced Onion
Thin Sliced Red and Green Pepper
Sliced Mushrooms
Cheese
Steak Roll

In a skillet heat a teaspoon of olive oil and add the vegetables. Stir, heating quickly. Add cheese slices(I like PepperJack ,but swiss or sharp cheddar is also good) Melt cheeese and slide mixture onto steak roll. Top with green or red leaf lettuce, tomato, and your favorite condiment.

Simple Pasta

Leftover pasta
Leftover veggies
Olive oil
Cheese

In a skillet heat just enough olive oil to coat the skillet. Add pasta stirring constantly. Add veggies. You want the temp, t obe hot because you are heating the veggies not cooking them. When ready slide onto a plate and top with a little olive oil and grated cheese.

Summer Salad

Green Leaf Lettuce
Romaine Lettuce
Walnuts or Pecans
Feta cheese or cheese of your choice, preferably something like goat cheese
cherry tomato's
Pineapple or mandarin orange pieces
Raspberry Walnut Vinagrette Dressing (I use Newman's Own Light because it tastes is so strong a little goes a long way)

Toss all ingredients together in a bowl and lightly coat with dressing. Best if made with fresh product and eaten right away.

eggie Sandwich

2 slices sourdough bread
2 slices swiss cheese or pepperjack cheese
Freesh sliced mushrooms
Fresh washed bean sprouts
1000 island dressing

On a grill place the two slices bread buttered sides down, you want to grill them until they are a nice light golden brown. While grilling the bread place one slice of cheese on each slice of bread, thet start to soften and melt. When bread is ready, place sliced mushrooms and bean sprouts on one slice and spread a small amount of 1000 island dressing on the other, combine and slice in half.

Instead of using one of those protein patties make your own veggie burgers.

In a skillet add a small amount of olive oil heat so it is hot. Add thin slices of tofu, cook briefly add thick slices of onion, sliced mushroom, broccoli, red bell pepper seirring until veggies are heated thru. Pile veggies in center of skillet and place a slice of cheese on top to melt, I like an extra sharp cheddar or I'll toss in some crumbled blu cheese and melt it and mix it into the veggies. Place on a toasted bun and enjoy. Sometimes I add garlic and sprinkle some crushed red pepper or i use a flavored olive oil.

Spaghetti Sauce

1/2 cup olive oil
4 onions diced
16 pounds tomoto's peeled and diced
2-12 oz cans tomoato paste
2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley or flakes
2 tablespoons of oregano
2 tablespoons of salt
2 tablespoons of basil
3/4 teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper
1'2 cup of red wine

In a 12 quart dutch oven or pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and cook the onion until tender. Add tomato's and all the ingredients up through the pepper. Over high heat bring to a boil. reduce heat to medium low partially cover and cook several hours stirring on occassion. 30 minutes before serving had in red wine salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 10 pints

Rob The BLack Douglas
29-03-2006, 02:47 AM
A wonderful breakfast casserole that tastes even better the next day cold.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups fresh bread cubes, I use sourdough
1 cup grated cheese ,I prefer an extra sharp cheddar
8 slices bacon, cooked and drained, broken into pieces
8 eggs
Pepper
3/4 cup of half and half (Some recipes call for up to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream which is a little excessive)
Salt
Butter, I always use unsalted butter when I cook

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degree's
Butter a pie pan, the sides and the bottom, I use a stone pie pan, but a glass one works well.
Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread cubes in the pie pan, top with 1/2 of the cheese, and half of the bacon. Then take your 8 eggs and crack them over the ingredients spacing evenly. Top with the remaining, bread, cheese, and bacon. Season with a little pepper, preferably fresh.
Take the cream and pour it over all the ingredients until it is absorbed.
Bake i nthe pre-heated oven 20-30 minutes depending on how you like your eggs .Season with a little salt and serve at once.

Category: Side Dishes & Condiments
Style: Other
Special Consideration: Vegetarian
Servings: 1+

Description:
This is a variotion of several Mexican/Thai recipes I know.

It makes a great dip for chips or a dressing on salads, is excellent on a hamburger with a slice of cheddar cheese as well as a topping for grilled chicken breast.

Ingredients:
1 tomato
1 20 oz can of pineapple chunks or bits
3 fresh jalapenos
small handful of cilantro
3 oz red wine vinegar
1 oz extra virgin olive oil

Directions:
FInely dice the tomato
if using pineapple chunks cut them smaller
chop the jalapeno's I cut them large for those who can'thandle them to be able to pick out also you can add more peppers to taste, this is the recipe I use at work
chop the cilantro fairly well, I like to keep everything chunky, big pieces because of the look.

Mix in a bowl well and add the red wine vinegar and olive oil, allow to sit for at least one hour to let the flavors meld.

Style: Thai

Description:
This thai salsa with a south of the border twist defies convention.

Note: The number of peppers can be changed to suit ones taste, this is the recipe I use at work based on what my customers can handle and like.

Ingredients:
1 cucumber
1 large fresh mango or 1 jar mango juice drained
1 avacado (2 if they are small)
3 oz orange juice(preferably not from concentrate)
2 oz red wine vinegar
2-3 jalapeno peppers

Directions:
Dice the cucumber into small pieces
Dice the Mango into small pieces
Cut the jalapeno keeping the seeds and vein
Cut the avacado into pieces
Add ingredients to bowl and mix in the orange juice and red wine vinegar stir well and let sit for at least one hour to let flavors meld.

hasselbrad
30-03-2006, 05:24 PM
A wonderful breakfast casserole that tastes even better the next day cold.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups fresh bread cubes, I use sourdough
1 cup grated cheese ,I prefer an extra sharp cheddar
8 slices bacon, cooked and drained, broken into pieces
8 eggs
Pepper
3/4 cup of half and half (Some recipes call for up to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream which is a little excessive)
Salt
Butter, I always use unsalted butter when I cook

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degree's
Butter a pie pan, the sides and the bottom, I use a stone pie pan, but a glass one works well.
Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread cubes in the pie pan, top with 1/2 of the cheese, and half of the bacon. Then take your 8 eggs and crack them over the ingredients spacing evenly. Top with the remaining, bread, cheese, and bacon. Season with a little pepper, preferably fresh.
Take the cream and pour it over all the ingredients until it is absorbed.
Bake i nthe pre-heated oven 20-30 minutes depending on how you like your eggs .Season with a little salt and serve at once.

Style: Other

Is bacon a vegetable? :D Kidding.
That actually looks like something I might try.

Rob The BLack Douglas
31-03-2006, 07:41 PM
[i]

Is bacon a vegetable? :D Kidding.
That actually looks like something I might try.

It is if your scottish ;)

dave
07-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Meat-Tater pie, Brit's would call it "Sheperd's pie without the Veggies"

OK, but what I really want is a recipe for "pasties," Cornish or Australian. I believe the Australian ones are probably better, (less potatoes, more meat.) So how about it?

once_dreaded
07-04-2006, 07:21 AM
^Just for you I looked on the net to find a recipe for pasties. Since it wasn't for ME I only went so far in my search *mwah*. Apparently there aren't many "Australian" recipes but plenty of Cornish. So *ahem*

Ingredients:
1 pie crust
1/2 lb ground beef (raw)
1/4 cup onion (chopped finely)
4 large potatoes (sliced 1/8" thick)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Instructions:
Roll out pie crust until it is approx 1/8" thick & 14" round, put in bottom of 9" pie pan. Add 1/3 of onions, all potatoes, 1/3 onions, salt & pepper, ground beef, last of the onions, and more salt & pepper. Add top crust, pinch edges together and put 2 slits in top to let steam out while pastie cooks. Back at 375 for 1 hour.