PDA

View Full Version : Over-rated actors? Under-rated actors?

Kyle_West
06-07-2004, 06:52 AM
I wanted to take credit so someone couldn't copy and have two seperate threads.

Over-rated

Personally:
1) Elijah Wood; Wow what a puss, worst actor in every movie he has been in, even orlando was better as Legolas.

2) Orlando Bloom; Such a Drama queen, everything has to be a funeral to him, watch a movie he is in and watch his facial expressions. Almost every scene in the Two Towers, Return of the King, POTC. (I can't say Troy since the movie was so shitty I fell asleep. Excluding Eric Bana, "Troy" was a disaster)

3) Adam Sandler; Other than "PunchDrunkLove" He hasn't proven himself worthy to eat out of a dumpster. All of his pointless comedies are the same. They're boring, and he is a shitty actor....other than "PDL" as I repeated myself like a twat.

4) Owen Wilson; WOW! I hate him. Zoolander, Shanghai noon/knights. Thats enough to prove my point of him being an idiot.

5) Jackie Chan; Just stop making movies. Please. They've been the same for 20 years.

Under-rated

1) John Turturro; When he isn't in an adam sandler movie he is a good actor, he seems to be over looked to me. In "O'brother where art thou?" I thought him and Tim Blake Nelson stole the show. He was spooky in "The Secret Window" also. He gets some recognition, but he is better than alot of these big time movie stars.

2) Sean Patrick Flanery; He was Bad ass In "The Boondock Saints" His Irish I thought was quite impressive. But he really doesn't get alot of stuff when I think he should. He was better than Norman Reedus in that movie. "Powder" ruined him.

3) The Entire Broken Lizard Crew; They are absolutely hilarious "Super Troopers" and ''Club Dread'' made me almost fall in the floor laughing. Club Dread actually did make me shat myself.

4) Jason Lee; He is my favorite actor and he gets roles believe me. But I think he is better than all these other 100 million dollar men. He can act, dont put him in another "A Guy Thing" I don't think his career can handle it. I own a guy thing.

5) Selma Blair; Other than Hellboy she has done things I liked. ''A Guy Thing" Wahoo!

I'm bored so make comments and yell at me for thinking Orlando Bloom is the worst actor in recent history for his shitty dramatic (my best friend just died) acting. O wait, Elijah Wood is worse. Nevermind. It's early in the states 3:00 I think. So tomorrow I can edit this to where these 10 word summaries can turn into 15 or maybe even 20 words! Don't hold your breath though

DragonRat
06-07-2004, 07:54 AM
Isn't it necessarily true that many so-called "underrated" actors and actresses are ones who never win the awards they actually deserve? And the overrated ones are those who win the awards, but aren't deserving of them anyway?

I think Gwyneth Paltrow is an overrated actress. I really think that her Oscar for Shakespeare in Love was really undeserved. I remember watching that film like two or three times, and she was simply average in that film. They didn't even nominate Joseph Fiennes for his role as the Bard himself.

Liev Schreiber is probably my favorite underrated actor. He played Orson Welles in the HBO movie RKO 281, Cotton Weary in the Scream movies (yes, the movies did get crappy, but I think his performances were quite the opposite), and currently is the double agent character in the new Manchurian Candidate movie.

Kelsey
06-07-2004, 08:45 AM
Owen Wilson is not overrated; I love him:) But whatever, you liked A Guy Thing...:)

In my opinion:
*Overrated*
- Ben Stiller...he has a few good roles, but it seems like for every "Dodgeball" he comes out with, he comes out with two "Envy"s. He needs to slow down.
- Jessica Simpson...can't sing for crap, and talk about dramatic. Oh my god. Plus, she's famous for coming off as an idiot. Wow...score.
- Ben Affleck...he's hot, but I get the impression the guy has major personal problems. And the acting thing is doing downhill. I wish he'd write something again.
- Orlando Bloom....he can't act and he comes off as weak.

*Underrated*
- Sienna Miller...She's going to be a big star, with or without Jude Law.
- Nicole Richie (even though she's not an actor)...Has ended up in the shadow of Paris Hilton. I think she's the funnier and more charming of the two, and I'm a Paris Hilton fan.
- Rachel McAdams...not much to say.
- Ryan Phillipe...given the right roles, but he always tends to take the type casted roles and he sucks at those.
- Neve Campbell...she's a talented person. After seeing The Company, I'm excited for her next project.
- Amanda Seyfried...tends to shine in the smaller roles.

mufiman
06-07-2004, 09:09 AM
overrated:
-as kelsey said, ben affleck. i just do not like him, mostly because of armageddon, paycheck, and pearl harbor.
-will smith...
-halle berry.... gothika was horrible, and then theres catwoman...
- vince vaughn...not very funny.. old school is overrated and stiller made dodgeball good.

underrated:
-John Goodman...just watch "the big lebowski"
-Jon Favreau... hes a good and funny actor, even in mediocre movies. movies like daredevil.
-guy pierce...he was great in LA confidential and Memento, but i havent seen him in anything recently.

Kyle_West
06-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Owen Wilson is not overrated; I love him:) But whatever, you liked A Guy Thing...:)

I thought that was pretty funny. Ben is really over rated. John Favreau is indeed under-rated. Swingers, pcu, Made. I thought he was good in all three of them. Ben Stiller I dont thing is over rated since I saw Dodgeball. Before that I thought he wasn't worth anything.

Elijahfan
06-07-2004, 03:57 PM
i'll give a few with reasons OVERRATED:

Gwyneth Paltrow...shouldnt of won an oscar, as already stated by DragonRat, i think Cate Blanchett should have won, could be just because i love the movie Elizabeth a lot more. and Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture that year too.

Jessica simpson, nicole richie, paris hilton, ashlee simpson, britney spears...all whores and stupid,complete waste of space and air

Orlando bloom, i love him and everything, but he can't act that well

UNDERRATED:
cate blanchett
eric bana...he was the best thing about Troy, the old guy, who played the father was good too
guy pearce...memento
edward norton...fightclub & the 25th hour
Jude law...wonderful in cold mountain even if he didnt say much, he didnt have to either
Christian Bale..he's going to be the new batman, with the memento director too, so hopefully now more people will notice mind. he's so awesome, especailly in American Pyscho, really creepy, and he was in Empire in the Sun when he was around 13 years old

cant think of more at the moment...but for all those who don't seem to like Elijah wood, i guess i can understand considering all his films and range of work, but i do love him regardless...as stated in my name, i am a fan

Kyle_West
06-07-2004, 05:46 PM
i'll give a few with reasons OVERRATED:

Gwyneth Paltrow...shouldnt of won an oscar, as already stated by DragonRat, i think Cate Blanchett should have won, could be just because i love the movie Elizabeth a lot more. and Saving Private Ryan should have won best picture that year too.

Jessica simpson, nicole richie, paris hilton, ashlee simpson, britney spears...all whores and stupid,complete waste of space and air

Orlando bloom, i love him and everything, but he can't act that well

UNDERRATED:
cate blanchett
eric bana...he was the best thing about Troy, the old guy, who played the father was good too
guy pearce...memento
edward norton...fightclub & the 25th hour
Jude law...wonderful in cold mountain even if he didnt say much, he didnt have to either
Christian Bale..he's going to be the new batman, with the memento director too, so hopefully now more people will notice mind. he's so awesome, especailly in American Pyscho, really creepy, and he was in Empire in the Sun when he was around 13 years old

Damn, Jude Law, Edward Norton, Eric Bana. They all get big blockbuster movies. They all 3 deserve them also, but I can't see them as being underrated. Only way they can be underrated as if they should win an academy award, which I think Jude Law may someday have a shot. But the other two I can't see winning one. Christian Bale is underrated. He kicked major ass in "Equilibrium"

Hazzle
08-07-2004, 01:19 AM
Well...I won't post "Oh I agree with this" or "I agree with that" and most people have said people I sort of agree with so...

I'll just take issue with a few. Ben Affleck...can act...proved it in Shakespeare in Love (FAR better than Gwyneth...he and Jospeh Fiennes stole the show) and just gets so many shit movies with big paychecks (no pun intended) that he can't turn them down...how many of you would, eh? ;) He's not good enough to save a poor film, but he's good enough to save an average one.

Oh and Ben Stiller > Owen Wilson without a doubt...sorry Kels :)

(but, surprisingly, I'm going agree with you <:eek:> on Ryan Phillipe <no, I don't fancy him before someone makes a smart alec remark :p> and Neve Campbell)

DefyingGravity
08-07-2004, 01:55 AM
Overrated:

Halle Berry: She's a great actress, but why's everyone saying that she's gorgeous? I think her acting surpasses her looks.
Winona Ryder: She's an alright actress... but...
Brad Pitt: Gee, in Troy, his accent only changed about 20 times. :rolleyes:

Underrated:

Danielle Harris: The girl's been in over 30 films, yet still goes unrecognized.
Macaulay Culkin: Have any of you seen him in Party Monster? His performance was dead-on.

Louie
08-07-2004, 04:35 AM
Halle Berry: She's a great actress, but why's everyone saying that she's gorgeous? I think her acting surpasses her looks.

What are you smoking? Halle's looks easily surpass her acting. Her acting is average; she gets good parts in movies because of her looks, not acting ability.

DefyingGravity
08-07-2004, 05:26 AM
That is YOUR opinion, and I'm not gonna waste time arguing with you about it. :)

deviljet88
08-07-2004, 06:22 AM
What are you smoking? Halle's looks easily surpass her acting. Her acting is average; she gets good parts in movies because of her looks, not acting ability.
I don't get how people call her gorgeous either, so meh to you louie :P Her acting surpasses her looks.

hasselbrad
08-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Keira Knightley. Very underrated as an actress. So much attention is paid to her looks and wonderful attitude, that her acting skills get overlooked. Once she starts starring in movies where she's not kicking someone's ass, I think we'll be looking at our generation's Audrey Hepburn.

Ben Affleck is a good actor. It's the shitty movies that he's in that makes him cartoonish. The stuff he's done with Kevin Smith, who's a master of smart dialogue, has been very good.

Kyle_West
08-07-2004, 02:23 PM
After seeing King Arthur I must say, Ioan Mcgruffed and Clive Owen are very underrated. Hopefully his will give them both boosts.

Ben Affleck, Chasing amy, Dogma. Thats about all I like.

gracie
08-07-2004, 04:47 PM

peter o'toole. i dont think many people underrate him...he gets all the credit hes due. Being lawrence and henry II really set him up well for the rest of his life

ryan
08-07-2004, 06:08 PM

In my opinion:
*Overrated*
- Ben Stiller...he has a few good roles, but it seems like for every "Dodgeball" he comes out with, he comes out with two "Envy"s. He needs to slow down.
- Jessica Simpson...can't sing for crap, and talk about dramatic. Oh my god. Plus, she's famous for coming off as an idiot. Wow...score.
- Ben Affleck...he's hot, but I get the impression the guy has major personal problems. And the acting thing is doing downhill. I wish he'd write something again.
- Orlando Bloom....he can't act and he comes off as weak.

*Underrated*
- Sienna Miller...She's going to be a big star, with or without Jude Law.
- Nicole Richie (even though she's not an actor)...Has ended up in the shadow of Paris Hilton. I think she's the funnier and more charming of the two, and I'm a Paris Hilton fan.
- Rachel McAdams...not much to say.
- Ryan Phillipe...given the right roles, but he always tends to take the type casted roles and he sucks at those.
- Neve Campbell...she's a talented person. After seeing The Company, I'm excited for her next project.
- Amanda Seyfried...tends to shine in the smaller roles.

nicole richie? oh god.
the girl is not only physically appaling, but her personality is that of a sack of garbage.

hasselbrad
08-07-2004, 07:36 PM
...to a sack of garbage? That's really unfair...

...to sacks of garbage.

Hazzle
08-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Ok...Keira Knightley...I don't think US lot on here under-rate her talent, and I think those in the industry clearly recognise her talent...but yes...the critics and media are talking bullshit as usual when they say she can't act :)

As for Halle Berry...she's not all that fit...good but not amazing...whereas her acting...wow...Monster's Ball...nuff said.

Ben Affleck is always at his best with Kevin Smith and Matt Damon involved in the project...they seem to work well together those three...amazingly so. Dogma speaks for itself...

Valerie
10-07-2004, 06:19 PM
Oh my god! so glad someone mentioned Ryan Phillippe. The man is a brilliant actor, its a shame he goes for all the indie stuff. I read he much prefers those types of films then the blockbuster ones, don't say I blame him really. Unlike his wife...

Now in Hollywood its not about talent, its about looks and how much money a film can make base on those looks.

Although I will keep my opinions to myself abour Mr.Bloom.

Overrated in my opinion, and please don't take offense is Nicole Kidman- I just don't like her, and to say she is beautiful gag me please. She is just so pale looking and skinny it makes me ill.

Someone mentioned Ben affleck or "asslick", very true. Keanu Reeves is another one who can't act either. Those actors appear stiff to me.

Underrated ones, someone mentioned Keira so true. I was really angry when a critic said that she couldn't act? Um, is he blind or something?

And I will have to disagree with your comment on Elijah Wood. I think his acting is very good. Grant it, he plays "sissy" roles but he really does make a believable character.

Kelsey
10-07-2004, 06:40 PM
Nicole Ritchie is cool.

Whoever said Keanu Reeves, so right. I can't stand him...he's a horrible actor.

Hazzle
10-07-2004, 10:28 PM
The only thing Keanu was ever good in was the Bill & Ted movies and only because the character was probably just him at a younger age :)

Speed was basically a great script ruined by a wooden leading man and leading lady...shame that...Dennis Hopper was excellent though.

Valerie
11-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Yep, I agree.

Oh and don't forget the Matrix, never really understood why he got that role in the first place.

Kelsey
11-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Speed was ruined by Keanu Reeves, and *only* Keanu Reeves. Haz. :)

Hazzle
11-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Speed was ruined by Keanu Reeves, and *only* Keanu Reeves. Haz. :)

Pfft...he was better than Sandra Bullock...and that's saying a LOT.

Keanu was alright in the Matrix in terms of the first film, where it's a lot more of a typical superhero type character, without the emotional depth that Neo is supposed to have in the latter films and which Keanu cannot deliver on.

Richard
11-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Why is everyone "always" saying Keanu ruined Speed? Everywhere I go, even far away from this forum is the same comment. It's been so long since I watched the movie, but I remember liking it. I am however too, noticing that Keanu's roles have been rather card-board(or too stiff as someone else pointed out). What else has Keanu been in?... "Sweet November"... "Hardball"... "The Watcher"... "The Gift"... "Chain Reaction". Anyways, I did however like his character in Hardball, and it's offical, the best work he probably ever did was the Bill & Ted movies, I'll agree. He may have ruined Speed, but I can't imagine anyone else playing Neo in The Matrix.

Over-rated actors:
Brad Pitt (I'm trying... but I'm never impressed.)

Under-rated actors:
Evan Rachel Wood
Kate Beckinsale (Is still not getting recognized?)
Alfonso Ribeiro (From "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air")
ok, sure... why not "Ryan Phillipe" (I've actually seen almost all of his films. "The Way of the Gun", best performance I think.)

DragonRat
11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Or Johnny Mnemonic.

Kelsey
11-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Sandra Bullock was good in Speed. Part of the reason why she's so famous now.

Kate Beckinsale is definitely under-rated. She's been one of my favorites for awhile now, and I can't believe she's still not getting the recognition she clearly deserves.

Hazzle
11-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Kate Beckinsale...gorgeous...but can't act to save her life. Worse than even Sandra Bullock. Difference is unlike the latter, Kate's gorgeous :)

As for Neo in the Matrix...not entirely convinced Keanu did it well...Neo had no depth to him because Keanu can't act...despite the fact I think there was potential for him to be a really likeable character with real depth.

Brad Pitt is twice the actor that Kate Beckinsale is Richard...and certainly a damn sight better than Keanu Reaves...sorry. Them's the facts :D

Richard
11-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Kate Beckinsale...gorgeous...but can't act to save her life. Worse than even Sandra Bullock. Difference is unlike the latter, Kate's gorgeous :)

As for Neo in the Matrix...not entirely convinced Keanu did it well...Neo had no depth to him because Keanu can't act...despite the fact I think there was potential for him to be a really likeable character with real depth.

Brad Pitt is twice the actor that Kate Beckinsale is Richard...and certainly a damn sight better than Keanu Reaves...sorry. Them's the facts :D

I think Kate did surprisingly well in "Serendipity" considering her other projects that were not so good... "Van Helsing", but "Underworld" was better.

While I do agree with what you said about the possibility of Neo being a likeable character with real depth without Keanu playing the role, my question would have to be "How more could the character of Neo be portrayed"? Perhaps I'm not seeing it the way you do. The character of Neo in the first film seemed to be fairly simple, that being he's put into a new world where he must master whatever the hell he needs to convince himself that he is "the one". I don't necessarily think there's much debate about the first film, but for second and third... I guess I was expecting more from the character. I still liked him, but that's where I think the real depth lacked.

Brad Pitt is better than Keanu Reaves, you're right. But I think we would all rather choose Kate over the both of them. Her attraction anyways...

Hazzle
11-07-2004, 10:57 PM
I think Kate did surprisingly well in "Serendipity" considering her other projects that were not so good... "Van Helsing", but "Underworld" was better.

While I do agree with what you said about the possibility of Neo being a likeable character with real depth without Keanu playing the role, my question would have to be "How more could the character of Neo be portrayed"? Perhaps I'm not seeing it the way you do. The character of Neo in the first film seemed to be fairly simple, that being he's put into a new world where he must master whatever the hell he needs to convince himself that he is "the one". I don't necessarily think there's much debate about the first film, but for second and third... I guess I was expecting more from the character. I still liked him, but that's where I think the real depth lacked.

Brad Pitt is better than Keanu Reaves, you're right. But I think we would all rather choose Kate over the both of them. Her attraction anyways...

Let's agree to disagree on Kate Beckinsale, eh? :)

As for depth of Neo...I'd agree with what you said...I think the "hope" message of the latter two films, and the love story, were just lost with Keanu as the lead.

As for Kate over the guys...for looks? Mmmmmmmmm

MC117
12-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Adam Sandler; Owen Wilson; Jackie Chan, c'mon now, these guys are cool

The Governator is the best of all

Sarika
12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
Overrated:
Ben Affleck
Hilary Duff
Lindsay Lohan
Leonardo DiCaprio
Brad Pitt - as much as I love Troy, he was the worse part

Underrated:
Jim Caviezel
Edward Atterton
Hannah Taylor - Gordon
Evan Rachel Wood

Jacoby
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Overrated:
Brad Pitt - as much as I love Troy, he was the worse part

:eek: What?!
Brad Pitt is a great actor, or at least that's what I think. True he was annoying in Troy, but nothing less than briliant in Se7en, 12 Monkeys and Fight Club.

Hazzle
12-07-2004, 11:46 PM
Brad Pitt MADE 12 Monkeys (which I loved) and was superb in Fight Club...Se7en I'm not so sure about...I think Morgan Freeman made that film...Kevin Spacey was good when he finally got in it...but before that Morgan made the film...legend...

Now HE'S an underrated actor...SOOOOO good. Morgan Freeman is awesome. Tim Robbins got all the praise for Shawshank but Morgan made it...Brad got all the praise for Se7en but Morgan made it...too good.

Jacoby
12-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Both Freeman and Pitt made the film. Freeman just played a more likable character. Pitt played his part very very well, as did Freeman. I say both of them made Seven. But yes, Morgan Freeman is a very underrated actor.

Richard
13-07-2004, 12:33 AM
Morgan Freeman is a great actor. I can't believe I didn't think of him before. He also made "Deep Impact" a really good movie... his voice is chilling.

Hazzle
13-07-2004, 12:34 AM
Morgan Freeman is a great actor. I can't believe I didn't think of him before. He also made "Deep Impact" a really good movie... his voice is chilling.

Truth...class actor...so good...and I'd even forgotten how good he was in Deep Impact...heck he even made Chain Reaction bareable. And that was a shit film...

Ardnax
13-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Morgan Freeman who?

Hazzle
13-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Morgan Freeman who?

Quite...I think you made our point.

Oh...and Brad Dourif was one of the most under-rated in the LOTR cast, as was Andy Serkis (who's done some other impressive work too)...and Sean Bean is just plain under-rated in anything he does...despite being one of our best exports.

Kelsey
14-07-2004, 01:21 AM
I totally forgot...
*Under rated*
Maggie Gyllenhaal

The whole Gyllenhaal family even; they are such an amazingly talented family - every single member of it. Jake seems to be doing quite well, though Maggie still seems to be the lesser known. Her performance in Secretary (along with basically everything else shes in) was fantastic.

slimgopey
14-07-2004, 04:10 AM
Overrated actors - Tom Cruise! He's played the same character over and over again in each of his last five films.

I would say Bradd Pitt, but he made the great Snatch, and that was a great flick.

Underrated Actors - James Marsden, Thomas Jane, Vince Vaughn (deserves more respect!) and Jake Gyllenhall (deserves more hype :p)

Hazzle
14-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Yah...both Gyllenhaal siblings...can't believe they weren't mentioned earlier. Jake's only now getting the praise because he did a blockbuster (The day after tomorrow) but he's done great stuff before...and not just Donnie Darko...as for Secretary...mmmm...Maggie is rather sexy in an odd sort of way...hard to put my finger on why...but yah...in Secretary...muchos sexy, and a stunning performance to boot. It's a shame she didn't get that much praise for Mona Lisa Smile. I mean it wasn't quite as good as I was lead to believe it would be, a little formulaic but the art direction was so good. Below par acting by everyone in the cast bar Maggie really showed how good she is...in that all-star cast she stood out as the best actress of the bunch, quite a compliment when one of your co-stars is an oscar winner (though this was not one of Julia Roberts' better performances).

Elijahfan
14-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Yah...both Gyllenhaal siblings...can't believe they weren't mentioned earlier. Jake's only now getting the praise because he did a blockbuster (The day after tomorrow) but he's done great stuff before...and not just Donnie Darko...as for Secretary...mmmm...Maggie is rather sexy in an odd sort of way...hard to put my finger on why...but yah...in Secretary...muchos sexy, and a stunning performance to boot. It's a shame she didn't get that much praise for Mona Lisa Smile. I mean it wasn't quite as good as I was lead to believe it would be, a little formulaic but the art direction was so good. Below par acting by everyone in the cast bar Maggie really showed how good she is...in that all-star cast she stood out as the best actress of the bunch, quite a compliment when one of your co-stars is an oscar winner (though this was not one of Julia Roberts' better performances).

totally forgot to say the gyllenhaals, good thing you and others mentioned them. i like the part in Donnie Darko where the family is sitting down for dinner and they start bickering! it's funny, and even more so since they're really brother and sister. i saw the secretary too, strange movie but i loved it

Kelsey
14-07-2004, 07:46 PM
In Mona Lisa Smile (even though I actually really liked the movie, and own it), Maggie was the best. Julia Stiles was fake, and Julia Roberts had two stand out scenes and I was expecting a lot more.

Which reminds me....Kirsten Dunst is over rated. I can't stand that girl; I just want to slap her. Mona Lisa Smile is one of the few things I can stand to watch that she is in. The only other thing is Bring It On.

Richard
14-07-2004, 08:01 PM
In Mona Lisa Smile (even though I actually really liked the movie, and own it), Maggie was the best. Julia Stiles was fake, and Julia Roberts had two stand out scenes and I was expecting a lot more.

Which reminds me....Kirsten Dunst is over rated. I can't stand that girl; I just want to slap her. Mona Lisa Smile is one of the few things I can stand to watch that she is in. The only other thing is Bring It On.

I liked her in "Dick". :rolleyes: You know that movie about President Nixon that co-starred Michelle Williams about the whole Watergate scandel. Hilarious. I can't really remember her performance in "The Virgin Suicides", but I know that it was a great movie. "Bring It On" was unforgettable... unfortunetly I can't say that about the sequel.

Spire
14-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I would say Brad Pitt too, but he was in Fight Club, Snatch, and Se7en, so he deserves his respect.

breathein
14-07-2004, 08:15 PM
here's my list:
over-rated:
1) ben affleck (except in dogma i love that movie)
2) jennifer lopez (until gigli i thought she was pretty good)
3) orlando bloom (hot, but he only has about three facial expression, confused, angry, and happy, the rest are inbetween faces)
4) cameron diaz (she's awesome in funny movies, but i haven't really seen her in a movie to define herself as a person rather than a ditzy blonde, if she has, i probably haven't seen that movie)
5) hillary duff (i'm sorry to all her fans but she's a tinsy bit on the annoying factor
6) paris hilton (i don't even know why some people say she's an actress. all i saw her in was zoolander and all she said was "hey derrick" however i'm sure much more people, not me, have seen her performance in that home-video)
under-rated:
1) johnny depp (until pirates of the caribbean and secret window but now he's getting more appreciation)
2) both the gyllenhaals (as previously stated, they both are awesome in donnie darko and all the other movies i've seen them in)
3) keira knightley (dur, she's becoming a lot more popular and recognized more though)
4) anyone else i forgot lol

Spire
14-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Cameron Diaz was in Gangs of New York, and she didn't play a completely ditzy blonde. She's still over-rated though.

Kelsey
14-07-2004, 09:39 PM
How can I forget....yes, I liked Kirsten in "Dick". That is one of my favorite movies, I seriously can't believe I forgot about it (I was just talking about it yesterday too). That movie is a freakin classic. Michelle Williams is a bit underrated too. She was good in The Station Agent, and her new movie with Emile Hirsch should be good.

Jacoby
14-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I think Jena Malone is under-rated. She's great, and she's going to be with Keira in P&P.

Pygmalion
14-07-2004, 11:29 PM
Hilary Duff is a SHOCKING actor. Honestly, the Lizzie Maguire movie is the WORST movie ever.

Hazzle
15-07-2004, 01:06 AM

Oh dear...me and Kelsey agreeing...on MOVIES of all things...dear Lord!

How can I forget....yes, I liked Kirsten in "Dick". That is one of my favorite movies, I seriously can't believe I forgot about it (I was just talking about it yesterday too). That movie is a freakin classic. Michelle Williams is a bit underrated too. She was good in The Station Agent, and her new movie with Emile Hirsch should be good.

Yah...Dick was excellent...Michelle Williams is awesome. Oh dear...this agreeing thing is disturbing.

Hilary Duff is a SHOCKING actor. Honestly, the Lizzie Maguire movie is the WORST movie ever.

Meh...to even class her as an actress is a disservice to the craft.

Richard
15-07-2004, 02:30 AM
I seriously think that Milla Jovovich is so under-rated. I like her work. Anything from "The Fifth Element" to "The Million Dollar Hotal". And her work in "Dummy" is awesome. Come on... is there no one else?

I'm not going to rant about how "Resident Evil" is a spectacular movie, it's average. But I've seen better in the "dead" genre. Milla made it good.

breathein
15-07-2004, 09:03 AM

I think if you put a blonde wig on a potato it would act better than her. She' DEFINATELY over-rated as and actress and singer.

Pygmalion
15-07-2004, 09:06 AM
Lol love the thing about the potato-people only like her cause shes hot.

And I agree completely about Milla, I liked Resident Evil-but then I like undead movies and used to play the game-Milla made it twice as good...I watch it now for her lol.

ChocolateMoose
15-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Over-rated: Hugh Grant (He plays the same character in all his films...), Orlando Bloom (He continually looks confused and concerned, thats about it).

Under-rated: Eric Bana (he was AMAZING in Troy), Johnny Depp (he plays such a wide range of characters, and they are excellent each time).

gracie
15-07-2004, 03:22 PM
the thing thats weird about hillary duff is she cant sing. I mean seriously nothing there, and she cant act. who is it whos buying her albums and going to her concerts. Tweens these days are stupid. When i was young we had the spicegirls. That is a solid girl group. They could sing and it was fun and their movie was fabulous! hillary duff is robbing preteen girls.

DragonRat
15-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, many tweens nowadays are medically diagnosed as tone-deaf, so you can understand the circumstances, by which they buy Hilary Duff albums, thinking she is the greatest thing to happen since sliced bread.

Comparatively, in that age range, I would probably consider Jena Malone in a class above everyone else. A lot of people rag on Lindsay Lohan for her off-screen activities, but she is a much better actress than Hilary Duff.

Jacoby
15-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Under-rated: John and Joan Cusak. Jason Lee is underated too I think, he's great. Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest especially, I thought he was better than Jack in that one) and as Wormtounge in LOTR.

Kelsey
15-07-2004, 07:46 PM
the thing thats weird about hillary duff is she cant sing. I mean seriously nothing there, and she cant act. who is it whos buying her albums and going to her concerts. Tweens these days are stupid. When i was young we had the spicegirls. That is a solid girl group. They could sing and it was fun and their movie was fabulous! hillary duff is robbing preteen girls.

The Spice Girls...exactly. I still love the Spice Girls, and put "Wannabe" on repeat every once in awhile. In fact, I think they're one of the CDs in my CD player right now. Sad, but true.

Hilary Duff is extremely annoying. Under-rated (even though I specifically remember Gracie not particularly liking her):)- Kate Bosworth. She was good in Win a Date With Tad Hamilton. Very likeable.

Hazzle
16-07-2004, 02:44 AM
Under-rated: John and Joan Cusak. Jason Lee is underated too I think, he's great. Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest especially, I thought he was better than Jack in that one) and as Wormtounge in LOTR.

Arrr...as always...taste...the Cusacks...I always love their work...especially together...High Fidelity was SOOOO good largely because those two, as real life siblings, looked entirely natural in their roles.

Milla...hmmm...yeah...I'd have to say she surprised me by having talent...gorgeous, of course...but I always was worried she'd be a typical model turned actress, and it wasn't like that at all.

Richard
16-07-2004, 02:57 AM
Milla...hmmm...yeah...I'd have to say she surprised me by having talent...gorgeous, of course...but I always was worried she'd be a typical model turned actress, and it wasn't like that at all.

Brad Dourif, the voice of Chucky. That's all anyone needs to know. :p

I knew you'd agree with Milla. I for one thought her personality was kinda wild. I don't know if you've seen a lot of interviews with her, but a while ago(that being in terms of years) she seemed to be always "drunk" when she appears on Late shows like Jay Leno and Letterman. Yeah, she seems to be "you only live once, so I'm going to enjoy life and do everything" kind of girl. Not to bad I don't mind. Stands out...

Luthien
20-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Over-rated:
Orlando Bloom: he can't act. simple as that. he has four facial expressions, then a couple variations on #2. (I counted.)
Elijah Wood: I don't know why, there's just something about his acting, I can't place what, that drives me insane.
Russell Crowe: only slightly over-rated, good actor, but not enough feel for his character. You don't exactly feel what his character is feeling. (if that makes any sence at all.)

Under-rated:
Bryan Dick: very under-rated. I felt for his character, he played death scenes well, action well, and all the stuff inbetween too. Stayed very in-character too.
Paul Bettany: really gets a feel for who and what his character is, somehow truly *becomes* that character.
Christopher Lee: no one cares about his acting cause he's always evil. very good actor.

Richard
20-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Under-rated:

- Harry Dean Stanton
- Adrienne Barbeau
- Kurt Russell

Dyce_Blue
20-09-2004, 11:25 PM
Thanks for waking this one up, Richard...

Overrated:
Heath Ledger
Brad Pitt
Orlando Bloom
Ben Affleck

They all bring in the ladies, but not much else...

Underrated:
Jason Statham
Woody Harrelson
Hugh Jackman

The occasional shitty roles have really not helped these gentlemen...

The Black Rider
20-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Overrated:

Russell Crow
Denzel Washington
Jude Law (only Cold Mountain was truly appalling though)
Sean Penn

None of the above are bad actors, per se, they're just not that great.

Underrated:

Vincent Cassel (a French Sean Penn but amplified)
Richard E. Grant (best drunk ever)
Brendan Gleeson (Oscar-worthy for 28 Days Later)
Paul Bettany (see Gangster No. 1)

Richard
21-09-2004, 12:36 AM
Jude Law (only Cold Mountain was truly appalling though)

Really? After I saw Gattaca I couldn't get enough of him.