PDA

View Full Version : Music Gigs

Andrew
10-02-2005, 11:28 PM
What have been the best and worst gigs that you have been too?

and have you got any gigs that you are going too or planning on doing so?

My best is probably between The Libertines or Franz Ferdinand as both nights were excellent with the crowd being great on each time but if I had to choose it would probably be The Libertines as Pete Doherty was still in the band then and him and Carl were great together with a great stage presence and it looks increasingly like they won't be getting back together any time soon.

My worst would have to be The Vines as the lead singer just put in a terrible performance with it seeming like he wasn't bothered(its turned out since that he has Aspergers Syndrome) and the set they played was mainly from their second album which is nowhere near as good as their debut album.

And the gigs that I am going to are:
Oasis
Kaiser Chiefs
The Zutons
The Bravery
Athlete
Thirteen Senses

Jacoby
11-02-2005, 01:35 AM
I've only seen The Strokes live and it was amazing. The place was so small we were 10 feet from Julian (the lead singer.) I've told this story about seven times on the KKW so I will refrain from doing so again.

Once I'm in Portland I plan on seeing:

The Arcade Fire
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Decemberists
and many more...

Mags
11-02-2005, 02:23 AM
My first concert was The Indigo Girls in 6th grade, and that was awesome.

Best concert...was definitely seeing Jackopierce at Wolftrap the summer before last. I'm not sure there's a cooler venue ever than Vienna Wolftrap.

worst concert? Most definitely the Curiousa festival last year. I paid $60 for a ticket, got to the venue with some friends (it was an hour from home) got inside to find out that Muse had bloody cancelled. The bass player like..fell off stage the night before and hurt his hand so they went back to England. So I'm stuck at this concert for 7 hours listening to bands I couldn't give a shit about, though I know a lot of people liked them. Interpol wasn't too bad, but I couldn't care less about The Cure and The Rapture. Fucking awful.

Liam
11-02-2005, 02:25 AM
I have seen:

Metallica (x 2)
Anthrax (x 2)
Rammstein
Pantera
Slayer / Slipknot (Unholy Alliance tour)
Red Hot Chili Peppers

All rocked, although RHCP was a little disappointing. Rammstein and Slayer were especially good.

Going to see Muse in May, and Within Temptation as soon as I can.

FooTM
11-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Seen Fun Lovin' Criminals live. I want to go to this years Download/Ozzfest but its too expensive.

Scott
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
My favourite concert was when the Foo Fighters performed at Big Day out in 2003.
The worst concert I've been to was The Offspring last year. My friend one tickets on the radio, and he got me to tag along. Didn't enjoy it to much, never really been a fan.

I'm looking forward to the Motley Crue tour that might be happening soon, I'm just hoping it makes its way to Australia. The only thing that could make it sweeter would be to have Brides of Destruction as an opener.

hasselbrad
11-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Allman Brothers at the Oak Mountain Amphitheater in Birmingham, Alabama.
Grateful Dead at the old Omni in Atlanta.
Dave Matthews Band at the Ivory Tusk in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Blues Traveler at the Tusk.
Dash Rip Rock at several venues.
The Romantics at Solomon's in Tuscaloosa.

The worst was the Dave Matthews Band at the USF Sundome here in Tampa. The acoustics are awful and the crowd was more suited to a Linkin Park concert.

Narg
11-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Only been to one big concert.. went to see the offspring, back when americana came out, they visited newcastle, they were great, albiet a little short. Mostly i see local metal bands etc.

Ashley
06-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Last night I saw The Decemberists in downtown Lawrence. It was an amazing show! They're like piano rock... I guess. They kicked major ass.
I also just bought some tickets to a Dave Matthews Band concert, and I'm hoping to pick up some tickets to Jack Johnson.

What concerts are people going to this summer? Or whatever season you're in now... Bring up some local bands too, never know who could make it big, maybe you could tip us off to some big up and coming talent.

Jacoby
06-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Last night I saw The Decemberists in downtown Lawrence.

Awwwwwwwwwww. Lucky.

marine
06-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Last night I saw The Decemberists in downtown Lawrence. It was an amazing show! They're like piano rock... I guess. They kicked major ass.
I also just bought some tickets to a Dave Matthews Band concert, and I'm hoping to pick up some tickets to Jack Johnson.

Jack Johnson ?, I wish!

Digital_Ice
06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
best gig i ever went to: the bluetones at the liverpool barfly

next gig i'm going to: the bluetones at the wolverhampton wulfrun.

the bluetones are ace... enough said....

Keyser_so_so
06-04-2005, 10:46 PM
The best gig I've ever been to was Muse at The Brighton Centre, on 4th Dec 2003. Truely astounding.

The worst? Metallica- excellent band live, and good gig, but I was bloody freezing for some reason and was coming down with the nastiest shit ever- hence the fact I couldn't enjoy it much. I felt like my head was melting the whole time!.. But fuck it, it was 'tallica!

Mags
06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I went to another Indigo Girls concert on March 20, my last day of spring break, and it was awesome. They were at a fantastic venue; the 9:30 Club in DC, which is evidently where everyone awesome plays (Wilco was there a month ago).

Muse is coming to Texas, but I doubt I'll be able to go as it's right before finals and I don't have anyway to get to Houston or to the campus up here where they're playing.

I'm going to try and see as many concerts as I can this summer. It'd be awesome if Jackopierce came to Houston, or really anyone I like.

Ashley
06-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Muse is coming to Kasnas City soon. I'd love to go but my funds are lacking.

The Shins are coming to Lawrence, so is Iron and Wine. Bright Eyes and The Faint are coming to KC... all good shows... I'm definately going to The Shins. Wilco is coming for Wakarusa Music Festival which is about 20 minutes from my apartment, 3 days of music and camping... I'm tempted. www.wakarusa.com check out the line ups.

Jake... The Decemberists show was amazing. If you get a chance, go see them!

Andrew
07-04-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm going to see The Others, Kaiser Chiefs, The Futureheads, Kings Of Leon and Bloc Party.

Vertigo
07-04-2005, 01:37 AM
I just got my tickets to the Carling Reading Festival and im going to see the others on friday.

Fancyman
07-04-2005, 04:36 AM
I've been wicked lucky with concerts; never seen a bad one. Here are mine in order of attendence
Wierd Al (many years ago)
Extreme Steel Tour (Pantera, Slayer, Static X)
God Hates Us All Tour (Slayer)
Pearl Jam
Jagermeister Tour (Slayer Hatebreed Archenemy)
Muse (Rhode Island Saw Gracie)
Reign in Blood (Slayer)
Ozzfest (Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Black Label Society, Slipknot, Lacuna Coil and more)
Muse (avalon Boston)
Jessica Simpson (Springfield MA hey it was at a fair she wasnt the real reason we were there...hey I got laid after so screw you)

Hopeful upcoming concerts
in 2 weeks Muse (hoping for the hat trick)
June Judas Priest (Halford is a God)

Jasper
07-04-2005, 06:35 AM
Bright Eyes and The Faint are coming to KC...

Yeah, they're coming to Orlando in June... definately seeing that (The faint are just plain awesome). I'm also planning on seeing Alkaline Trio whenever they decide to come to Orlando again.

The best show I've ever been to has got to be Cursive, with Reggie and the Full Effect, and an awesome Japanese band called Eastern Youth.

simdimidy
07-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Best gig so far....

Maroon 5, although the lead is the dictionary example of arrogant....

Worst....Rooster (i didnt buy tix, mate did...) we didnt even wait to see them, worst atmosphere in the world...full of little girls....and we didnt much wanna see them, and the supporting band topped it off (think Placebo mix with Weezer...oh god....terrible isnt it?!)

simdimidy
07-04-2005, 09:48 AM
OO...and V2005 i am hoping overal will beat maroon 5 (jem, maroon 5 again, oasis...franz ferdinand...joss stone (woo!) and wait for it... scissor sisters! yayyyy :D

Liam
07-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Fast forward to June 18, 2005. I'll be getting my arse on the train to Nijmegen for a heavy day in the park: Clicky (http://www.fieldsofrock.nl/).

- After Forever
- Alter Bridge
- Audioslave
- Black Sabbath
- Bullet for my Valentine
- Chimaira
- Dreadlock Pussy
- Flogging Molly
- Helmet
- Machine Head
- Mastodon
- Motörhead
- Papa Roach
- Rammstein
- Slayer
- Velvet Revolver

Hows that for a line up? Slayer and Rammstein on the same day as Ozzy and Lemmy? Rah.

hasselbrad
07-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Fast forward to June 18, 2005. I'll be getting my arse on the train to Nijmegen for a heavy day in the park: Clicky (http://www.fieldsofrock.nl/).

- After Forever
- Alter Bridge
- Audioslave
- Black Sabbath
- Bullet for my Valentine
- Chimaira
- Dreadlock Pussy
- Flogging Molly
- Helmet
- Machine Head
- Mastodon
- Motörhead
- Papa Roach
- Rammstein
- Slayer
- Velvet Revolver

Hows that for a line up? Slayer and Rammstein on the same day as Ozzy and Lemmy? Rah.

How the fuck does Alter Bridge fit into this equation? That is pussy rock to nth degree. I thought Creed couldn't get any worse without that pretentious cockmonkey lead singer...
...I was wrong.
Am I the only one who thinks the beginning of Papa Roach's song Getting Away With Murder sounds like they ripped off Muse?
Shoot Velvet Revolver for me...please?
Have fun.

Liam
07-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Never heard them, but thanks for the tip :D

Papa Roach is nu- bullshit, so I won't be watching them play. I'm basically there to see the bands in bold, although I wouldnt mind seeing Mastodon and Chimaira either. For 65 euro, I can see a bunch of my favourite bands in one place. Better than the 170 I paid last October for Slayer/Slipknot (admittedly this included a return flight from Dublin to Manchester, but who is counting).

hasselbrad
07-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Never heard them, but thanks for the tip :D

Papa Roach is nu- bullshit, so I won't be watching them play. I'm basically there to see the bands in bold, although I wouldnt mind seeing Mastodon and Chimaira either. For 65 euro, I can see a bunch of my favourite bands in one place. Better than the 170 I paid last October for Slayer/Slipknot (admittedly this included a return flight from Dublin to Manchester, but who is counting).

Aw...come on now...you don't want to see Dreadlock Pussy? I'd watch them just so I could say I saw Dreadlock Pussy. ;)
You've never heard of Creed? You are a lucky, lucky man.

Liam
07-04-2005, 03:00 PM
I've heard Creed, unfortunately. 'Heavy metal for the masses'...I call it softcock earhole raping. I don't know much about them though, so I had no idea that Alter Bridge had anything to do with them.

I'd pay the entry fee just to see Rammstein again. I've never seen any band put on a performance that comes close to Rammstein in intensity or entertainment value.

But yes, dreadlock pussy. Its almost as good a name for a band as Anal Cunt.

Fancyman
07-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Liam, so jealous. I saw Chimaira with slayer when they were just starting out, they werent too bad then so i would hope they are better now. I wouldn't mind seeing Mastadon. I like that song march or the fire ants or something like that. Motorhead...sigh if only.

Leonie
07-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Hmmm... as a short break from all the metal - I'll be seeing Coldplay in July :)

Liam
07-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Holy shit, really? Thats weird, so am I!!!1one.

Maybe we could meet up or something.

Fancyman
08-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Well cross muse off my hopeful shows list. Its at umass amherst and they wont acceptt umass lowell IDs so i cant get in. Judas Priest isn't looking too promising either...$50. Damn.

marry rich people
08-04-2005, 10:37 PM
I'm hoping to go see British Sea Power and take hundreds of pictures to make Jake extremely jealous.

FooTM
09-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Sigur Ros plays at Manchester and Glasgow soon. I wish it was nearer to home :(

marine
09-04-2005, 12:54 PM
I've never been to a gig, and that's a shame.
But I have a good excuse where I grew up there was really few gig and moreover it was music I wasn't into "dance all" ect, Wyclef jean (spell?) and things like that and other local groups/singers, such a shame I don't like caribbean music (that's what one of my mate tells me everytime there's a show)

Jacoby
10-04-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm hoping to go see British Sea Power and take hundreds of pictures to make Jake extremely jealous.

It would work.

Sigur Ros plays at Manchester and Glasgow soon. I wish it was nearer to home...

I would love to see them live. I would hope it would be a sit down theatre, though, Sigur has a tendency to make me feel comfortable and almost fall asleep.

hasselbrad
11-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Coming soon to Huntsville, Alabama...

...Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers Band. Together.

I predict that you could drain Loch Ness, fill it with the amount of beer that will be consumed that weekend and flood most of Scotland. Also, all of the pot will be smoked. Yes, all of it.
I've seen The Allman Bros. several times, but I've never seen Skynyrd live. There is a music festival going on in northern Florida soon, but I'm not sure I'll be able to go.

Ashley
12-04-2005, 03:53 AM
Hassel... the amount of jealousy I feel is not normal.

hasselbrad
12-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Hassel... the amount of jealousy I feel is not normal.

Allman Brothers fan? Or, just a heavy beer drinker/pot smoker? ;)

Ashley
13-04-2005, 02:03 AM
Allman Brothers fan? Or, just a heavy beer drinker/pot smoker? ;)

Do you need an answer?

Allman Brothers came a while ago to KC... I wish I would have gone.

hasselbrad
13-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Get off your ass and go see them! Preferably, at an outdoor venue, and stand as close to the guys who are taping the show (if it's an outdoor venue with lawn seating)as you can. They've usually staked out the best sounding spots.
The Allman Brothers put on a hell of a show. No pyrotechnics, no stage dives and no other bullshit to distract from the incredibly talented musicians...actually playing music. What a concept!

Ashley
26-07-2005, 06:10 AM
BUMP... because I have music to talk about. No use starting another thread eh?

Anyway, at the moment the stuff I've been listening to are Gavin DeGraw (check out scroll to the bottom and look for Gavin DeGraw (http://www.strippedmusic.com) ) listen to well everything, but Follow Through is my favorite. He's amazing live as well.

In addition to Gavin, Sublime, Scissor Sisters, Hot Hot Heat, The Decemberists that sort.

I'll be going to Coldplay in September, God willing... The Decemberists the day before in September, Dave Matthews in Sept. Ben Folds, Rufus Wainwright and Ben Lee all at the same time in August.

Jethro Tull is coming at some point... but I don't think I'll have the money after all the above.

bruman
26-07-2005, 07:38 AM
been to:
Hooverphonic
Gorki
Krezip
Kt Tunstall*
Greenday*
Within Temptation*
Simple Plan*
Garbage*

(*) at a festival :p

going to see:
Kt Tunstall (i hope i can still get the ticket)
Anouk
Hooverphonic

Liam
26-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Since this has been bumped, I may as well add that Leonie and I saw Coldplay (supported by Vertigo and Richard Ashcroft) on July 7.

Fantastic concert, up there with the best I have seen - but the organisation was by far the worst. There was a gap of an hour between each support act, then another hour before Coldplay came on. I don't know if this is normal, but all the metal concerts I have seen have had a maximum of a 20 minute wait between acts.

Still - awesome set list and the band were great.

duckula
26-07-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm going to see Bob Dylan in november, I'm not usually a gig goer but its Bob fucking Dylan so what the hell.

Jacoby
26-07-2005, 03:38 PM
I'll be going to Coldplay in September, God willing... The Decemberists the day before in September, Dave Matthews in Sept. Ben Folds, Rufus Wainwright and Ben Lee all at the same time in August.

Fucking. About 12 days before I get to my school, there's going to be a Decemberists, Death Cab, Built to Spill, and Pedro the Lion concert. And then the day classes start is the day of the Ben Folds, Ben Lee, and Rufus show. I think tickets already sold out for that.

But... I am going to see Arcade Fire on Sept. 20th. And then hopefully I can get the Iron & Wine tickets for October 21st. There are a bunch of shows I'd like to go to, but won't have money for. In September and October there'll be a Dinosaur, Jr. reuinion and a Sigur Ros show, both would be pretty cool.

frodo1511
26-07-2005, 06:36 PM
So far, the only concert I have been to was the Beach Boys back in 1997. They were alright, but I didn't pay that much attention to them.

I may see Crossfade in August, I just have to work the details out.

I'm seeing Coldplay on September 21st, so that should be good.

Ashlyn
28-07-2005, 11:52 AM
i think the best live act i've ever seen is the hives, who i saw at the big day out in january.. theyre amazing, even if you arent into their music they're just awesome to watch. there was an excellent atmosphere when the beastie boys played, so that made it really fun, and the chemical brothers were crazy with this awwwwesome light show.. theyd be equal to the hives i reckon..
im seeing oasis and the hives again later this year...very exciting :D if anyone ever gets a chance to see faker or end of fashion live DOOOOO IT

bruman
28-07-2005, 12:05 PM
i'm willing to go to see Coldplay here in belgium if i can buy tickets

bruman
12-08-2005, 08:11 AM
and yep, just got the Coldplay ticket :)

Keyser_so_so
12-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Off to see the Foo Fighters in December, it might just save my life, seeing as I'll be in year 11 and working hard for my GCSEs.