PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger outage blamed on 'data center' issue

barrington
08-02-2005, 09:46 PM
This has been affecting a lot of people I know, myself included. A lot of my building can't connect either. Just so you know you're not alone:

Microsoft on Tuesday confirmed that a "significant" number of its MSN Messenger users have been experiencing intermittent outages for about a day.

The company remained vague on the nature of the outage, blaming it on an "isolated issue that we've located in the data center," according to a company spokeswoman. She would not elaborate on when service would be restored.

The spokeswoman also said the outage is affecting consumers across many countries around the world, but the number of people affected remains undisclosed.

The latest outage comes days after security monitors discovered the Bropia worm was using MSN Messenger to spread. The Microsoft spokeswoman denied the outage was caused by the worm.

Last October, a glitch crippled many MSN Messenger users around the world. In March of last year, MSN suffered a couple of outages over a weeklong period. Some speculated that one of the blackouts was caused by sign-in problems from its Passport service. Microsoft denied Passport experienced any problems during the down period.

Instant messaging has become one of the most popular services among Internet users, and it's gaining more traction among businesses. Popularized by America Online's AOL Instant Messenger, millions of Internet users now have an IM client loaded on their PC desktop.

While AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo account for most of these users, the three networks remain proprietary. Many consumers have more than one IM client running on their screen to chat with various contacts on different services. All three companies have stated their intention one day to interoperate, but results have yet to be seen.

From ZDNet (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5568012.html)

apoggy
08-02-2005, 10:14 PM
does the web messenger work from different servers?

duckula
08-02-2005, 11:34 PM
The Lord giveth...

JackYang
09-02-2005, 03:40 AM
does the web messenger work from different servers?

I don't think so. The whole messenger thing was down for like 7 hours yesturday.

deviljet88
09-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Hm... wonder if I can use MSN Messenger after school at school or I have to use web msn...

Liam
09-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Didn't they blame the outage a fortnight ago on this as well?

Flightfreak
09-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Yes, they have some problems with hardware in the data centre and are trying to repair it.

JackYang
09-02-2005, 10:40 PM
Hm... wonder if I can use MSN Messenger after school at school or I have to use web msn...

MSN works right now. Just every once in awhile, we see msn messenger crashing and not responding.

This affects messenger.msn.com, web msn, windows msn, and normal msn.

deviljet88
10-02-2005, 12:22 AM
Nup never had that problem, but was wondering if it was possible to get past the school network after class to get on msn. Seems you can't.