PDA

View Full Version : Tennis

Leonie
26-01-2005, 06:52 AM
There used to be a tennis thread on the old forums, and with the Australian Open and everything, I figured I'd restart it.

Do you play? Who are your favourite players? Have you met any? Who should be banned from playing tennis altogether? What's your favourite tournament?

Do I play? Yes. Well... no. Not right now, because I'm at uni. But I do when I'm at home, and I'm working on finding a place here.

Favourite players are Ferrero, Safin, and Goran Ivanisevic, although he retired now. Players who should be banned include but are not limited to Lleyton Hewitt for being a downright bastard, Andy Roddick for being a petulant child, and the Williams sisters for turning centre court into a fashion show. A bad one. As for Roddick, I think he'll be forced to leave soon enough. Look at people with big serves before him - they don't last. Ivanisevic *tear*. Krajicek *tear*.

On the note of Krajicek - him I met. And Max Mirnyi and Roger Federer. And I saw Siemerink (Dutch dude who's now retired) and Grosjean play/practice.

My favourite tournament would be Roland Garros. I think. Wimbledon's cool too, but due to the current lack of people who can play decent volleys, it's turned into baseline bashing. Bit boring. And then, there's the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam!!!11one. Where I met the players I mentioned before. Could have seen Ferrero too, had he not twisted his ankle the night before :/ I won this contest thing, where I got to go to the player's lounge, and serve on centre court. Niiiice :D I met the Dutch Davis Cup coach too. It was a lovely day :)

marine
26-01-2005, 07:04 AM
i luv tennis one of my fav sport, i used to play but i'm best at watching it, never met anyone. fav tournament Roland Garros
I actually like lleyton hewitt, he's fun to watch but I can understand why his opponents can't stand him. Nadal seems to be a really good player...and i like Noah I know not my generation, but who really cares ?
I like Clijsters, Sharapova... Don't think the Williams sister should be banned but somebody should show them how they look esp Serena.

deviljet88
26-01-2005, 07:05 AM
I got an Encouragement award in Tennis in year 7. Fave player used to be Sampras, but then he started getting owned by everyone. Met none. Safin to be banned. Fave tournament is Australian Open since it's held in my city.

Leonie
26-01-2005, 07:11 AM
:icon_surp Safin? Why?

Liam
26-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I've played tennis a grand total of once. Managed to slip and fall, and slice my leg open. Havent played since :p I'd be tempted to give it a go again, but my upper body strength is somewhat below-par and I'd look like a pussy serving.

My favourite players...hmm. Alicia Molik is one. She's been an incredible improver over the past 6 months, and it was a shame to see her go out today after losing serve in the first set due to dodgy line calls. She was on track to win it.
As for other favourite players, Andre Agassi is a champ. I like people with a sense of humour. I also like anyone who beats Roger Federer.
Never met any of them. Which is probably a good thing because as a group, I dont like them much. I do believe Hewitt and Roddick should be banned, or they should have their laces tied together or something. Just for laughs. Also think Ferrero should be banned not just from matches, but from TV as well. Bloody competition.

Favourite tournament for me is the Australian Open, cause its on telly at reasonable times and often co-incides with the cricket, so I can channel hop during ad breaks. Terrific.

Leonie
26-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Nadal seems to be a really good player...

This is going to be one of those 'the brother of my best friend's cousin twice removed' stories, but here we go.

My class went on exchange to Ibiza, and I met this girl there, who could have been a professional player, had she not got bored and quit. She was really good AND played against Nadal a couple of times :D She says it's really weird to see him on TV now. So yes, I suppose Nadal's nice too.

deviljet88
26-01-2005, 09:33 AM
:icon_surp Safin? Why?
Because he can't control his temper no matter how hard he tries. He's nearly as changed as Hewitt is.

Edit: I like Younes El Aynaoui as well for making Roddick play for 5 hours and thus making him easy prey in the next round. awesome match that was :D

Zavender
26-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I used to play tennis a lot outside of school, I was never one to play official games. But I don't really play many enduring sports anymore. A few years back I injured one of my knees while playing American Football. So, after that I took up swimming, and got pretty good without my legs, only to screw up my elbow. After that I stopped playing a lot of sports, and only recently have been feelling good to get back into them. Which is also why I waited an extra year to work at UPS. I could have gone in after hitting 18, but my body wasn't able until 19, and not wanting to risk it I waited one more year.
As of now, I only play both footballs, and basketball. I'm still not bad, but not nearly as good as I once was.
I don't watch tennis, I just can't get into it. It's like golf, fun to play, but not to watch.

Leonie
26-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Because he can't control his temper no matter how hard he tries. He's nearly as changed as Hewitt is.

Edit: I like Younes El Aynaoui as well for making Roddick play for 5 hours and thus making him easy prey in the next round. awesome match that was :D

I disagree, Safin's improved a lot. I liked what he did during last year's Aussie Open - making it to the final after he hadn't played for about a year. It's a shame all the 5 set matches had exhausted him :( I think he's one of the few guys capable of beating Federer at this stage. That is, if he keeps his act together.

As for El Aynaoui - I like him for what he did to Hewitt last year, or the year before that. At one point he was winning, so he looks Hewitt in the eye and shouts "Come on!!" I had such a laugh :D

Flightfreak
26-01-2005, 10:59 AM
I played tennis once, not for long though, till al the balls were disappeared :D
Yes indeed my fault, i think they ended up somewhere on the moon :p
A shame though; living in the country of THE Kim Clysters and THE Justin Henin!

hasselbrad
26-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I used to play. Played in high school, though not very well. My coach when I was in junior high school was a guy named Paul Rainey. He used to be John Newcombe's doubles partner in the 1970s. I don't really pay attention to tennis, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Sharapova...because I am a dirty old man.

IBO
26-01-2005, 05:46 PM
I've played tennis now for about 7 years. I played on my school teams throughout highschool. I also played in the OTA and was ranked as high as 64 under 18 boys. I use a Wilson Prostaff 6.1 and i forget what strings but they were damn expensive.

I've met many pros from both the Mens and Womens side. I was a volunteer at the Tennis Masters Canada for the last two years. I met Roddick, Federer, Safin, Henman, Agassi, moya, Hewitt, henin, hantechova, maresmo, sharapova, maskina and many more. I got plenty of autographs and free tennis gear.

I know i spelt somes names wrong.

It was really cool to volunteer at the Masters because I got to watch all the matches. The best was the final between Federer and Roddick. Unfortunately roddick lost. thats cool though Federer is very talented.
________
YAMAHA LIBERO (G5) HISTORY (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_Libero_(G5))

SimplyKnightley
27-01-2005, 01:10 AM
the last time i played (or attempted to) was in junior college during physical education. the tennis court was just next to the road so quite a few of my servings flew over the high fence and got lost amidst the traffic. i didn't cause any accidents though, i think. imagine driving happily along when a tennis ball comes spinning towards the windscreen :D i used to take lessons when i was younger but somehow i couldn't get the hang of it. maybe not enuff practice. maybe i have weak upper body. hope to pick it up again given the opportunity :)

Renegade
27-01-2005, 01:10 AM
Roddick is a dick with an insanely fast serve. I used to like Sampras but then his skills started to deteriorate. He always chose backhand over forehead which I found unique, stupid, but somewhat effective.

I like Sharapova. Young, talented, beautiful, and promising. And she doesn't choose the celebrity life over tennis like Kournikova. Plus, Anna was never that hot anyway.

IBO
27-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Roddick is a great talent, he will be dominant in a few years when he can fully control his power. He aslo has to work on his return game.

Renegade:
"He always chose backhand over forehead which I found unique, stupid, but somewhat effective."

Actually the backhand is the most natural shot and is under used by most players. I prefer my backhand it is deadly accurate and powerful.

As for Sampres, he was not much of a rallier. He relied a lot on his quick one two punch to win his serve. A bullet serve followed by a precisely placed volley. As for his return game he would push players deep in the court than quickly charge the net anticipating a weak return then pouncing on it.

The only style of play that I would call unique is using a two-handed forehand and two-handed backhand. A ffriend of mine does that and you would be amazed with the shots he produces.

Favorite mens player: Andy Roddick. Strong serve, Great movement

Favorite Womens PLayer: Lindsey Davenport. Perfect serve motion, effortless forehand
________
New Mexico Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

deviljet88
27-01-2005, 03:40 AM
Roddick is a dick with an insanely fast serve. I used to like Sampras but then his skills started to deteriorate. He always chose backhand over forehead which I found unique, stupid, but somewhat effective.

I like Sharapova. Young, talented, beautiful, and promising. And she doesn't choose the celebrity life over tennis like Kournikova. Plus, Anna was never that hot anyway.
She wasn't exactly good at tennis either. However, without her exploits, the sudden rise of Russian tennis players may have not been possible.

Leonie
27-01-2005, 05:31 AM
Roddick is a great talent, he will be dominant in a few years when he can fully control his power. He aslo has to work on his return game.

Renegade:
"He always chose backhand over forehead which I found unique, stupid, but somewhat effective."

Actually the backhand is the most natural shot and is under used by most players.

'When he can fully control his power', is that before or after the second time he needs shoulder surgery? :icon_razz Big serves generally don't last long.

As for backhands - evil things. It's probably my worst shot. The weird thing is, when I'm concentrating on it, it won't work. If I'm in the middle of a rally, and I'll just be playing, it will go just fine. :icon_conf I suppose that means you are right about it being the most 'natural' shot.

acliff
27-01-2005, 06:41 AM
My forehand slice seems to be my most natural shot. That and my backhand. Probably because I know that in the heat of a rally, my forehand will be too powerful, and overshoot the court.

Leonie
27-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Muahahaha. You were saying? :icon_razz

Gooooo Safin :)

deviljet88
27-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Muahahaha. You were saying? :icon_razz

Gooooo Safin :)
I didn't say he was a crap player :P Good on him.

Edit: And if noone's figured it, Safin beat Federer in the Semi-finals (or something) thus ending Federer's 20+ game winning streak.

And onto more happier news...

"Australian Alicia Molik has won her first grand slam title, teaming with Svetlana Kuznetsova to down Lindsay Davenport and Corina Morariu in the Australian Open women's doubles final today.

Molik served out the first and second sets to clinch the match
6-3 6-4 in 56 minutes."

WHOOOHOOOO SHE WON!!! :D

ryan
28-01-2005, 10:49 AM
i want to have sex with maria.

Scott
28-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Why would you want Hewitt banned? He's one of the most entertaining players at the moment. He likes to stir his opponents, and it's great watching their reactions when they're changing ends.

deviljet88
28-01-2005, 12:10 PM
Why would you want Hewitt banned? He's one of the most entertaining players at the moment. He likes to stir his opponents, and it's great watching their reactions when they're changing ends.
And he just beat Roddick, take that you fucking big server who can't do jack shit cos you suck tadatadatadadataadadada. And hopefully he beats Safin. The weeks of endless tributes to Hewitt being so cool will be like a wind of dust on a hot summer's day.

Leonie
28-01-2005, 01:05 PM
And he just beat Roddick, take that you fucking big server who can't do jack shit cos you suck tadatadatadadataadadada. And hopefully he beats Safin. The weeks of endless tributes to Hewitt being so cool will be like a wind of dust on a hot summer's day.

I disagree again. What a surprise :p I'm hoping Safin will beat that twatbucket of a Hewitt. I'm supporting anyone who's up against Hewitt, Safin in particular. Vamos Safin! (In Spanish class atm, and Safin speaks Spanish too, despite being Russian :D)

Why do I dislike Hewitt? Because he's the worst sport tennis has ever seen, that's why.

hasselbrad
28-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Worse than Ilie Nastase?

Dionysus
28-01-2005, 02:12 PM
i dont mind tennis
ive only just started to get into it
if its on at the same time as the cricket (as it has been a bit lately) i gotta go with cricket
but ive been watching a bit of it lately and i am enjoying
maria sharapova is fucking gorgeous and a good tennis player too

and i hope hewitt wins... im aussie :D

deviljet88
30-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Well Hewitt lost... Which I don't care much for since he's a pimply analhole, but hey, Scott Draper and Stosur, both Australians took out the Mixed Doubles, so THERE! :D

marine
30-01-2005, 10:51 AM
Well Hewitt lost... Which I don't care much for since he's a pimply analhole, but hey, Scott Draper and Stosur, both Australians took out the Mixed Doubles, so THERE! :D

in fact i was for hewitt, the guy wanted this title for so long and he started the match so well, It's sad. And i'm not sure the mixed double will be a real consolation (ps: i'm not saying it's not great for them)

Leonie
30-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Go Marat Safin :D

I was swearing at Hewitt so loudly that it woke my sister up. Oops :D It worked though :icon_razz Whiney little prick of a Hewitt. He can be Aussie all he wants, doesn't change the fact that I think he's a twatbucket.

I also thought the speeches were quite amusing. Marat thanking Lleyton's girlfriend etc. Heh.

Did anyone else think Olivia Newton John's singing wasn't the best ever heard from her? Ah well...

http://www.australianopen.com/images/pics/large/b_0130_lhewitt_msafin_01.jpg
Marat tall? Nah, not at all :P

marine
30-01-2005, 05:45 PM
^Lmao

deviljet88
31-01-2005, 04:51 AM
kinda floating off topic here, but Hewitt is now engaged to Bec Cartwright (aka the girlfriend). How fun, now no more attention on his loss but now his engagement will dominate the news.

Leonie
31-01-2005, 05:41 AM
I can only imagine what that conversation was like :icon_razz "I'm the biggest loser on the planet, and I just proved it. Wanna marry me?"

Liam
31-01-2005, 05:49 AM
Is it wrong to want to have Lleyton hair?

deviljet88
31-01-2005, 06:06 AM
OMFG INCREDIBLY. But that's not saying much since I've got some ugly variation of a bowl cut apparently.

marine
31-01-2005, 07:17 AM
kinda floating off topic here, but Hewitt is now engaged to Bec Cartwright (aka the girlfriend). How fun, now no more attention on his loss but now his engagement will dominate the news.

they guy was still engaged to kim clijsters less than a few months ago, you're kiddin' right ?

He's moving fast!

Scott
31-01-2005, 07:41 AM
Bec Cartright is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine! Only reason to watch Home and Away.

Leonie
01-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Bec Cartright is fiiiiiiiiiiiiine! Only reason to watch Home and Away.

Dutch commentator: "I doubt she's better at tennis than his last girlfriend." Heh.

marine
01-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Dutch commentator: "I doubt she's better at tennis than his last girlfriend." Heh.

she's not a tennis player !
the commentator was trying to be ironic, or was that humour ?, anyways knowing what happened to his last relationship that's not bad. still I have a hard time believing that this realtionship will go through, i hope though, calling an engagemnt off mustn't be nice.

Leonie
01-02-2005, 06:46 PM
I know she's not a tennis player. It was supposed to be a joke. He'll have a hard time finding a girlfriend that's a better tennis player than his last girlfriend Kim Clijsters. Unless he's willing to date Serena Williams :icon_razz

marine
01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
I know she's not a tennis player. It was supposed to be a joke. He'll have a hard time finding a girlfriend that's a better tennis player than his last girlfriend Kim Clijsters. Unless he's willing to date Serena Williams :icon_razz

Serena Williams? lmao, I would like to see that! :)

Dionysus
02-02-2005, 12:57 AM
i wouldnt
shes nasty
shes got more muscles than arnie :D

SimplyKnightley
02-02-2005, 04:43 AM
careful she doesn't clobber u with that baby

Scott
02-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Pic of Bec Cartwright

http://www.spockman.com/images/CartwrightBec1a.jpg

deviljet88
02-02-2005, 08:51 AM
http://www.tennisfreunde-much.de/images/impressionen/Lleyton_Hewitt_Kim_Clijsters_01.jpg

Lleyton and Kimmy. PUBLICITY!

Renegade
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Kim Clijsters (sp?) is a man. I don't like her. The same goes for Mauresmo. *shivers*

Leonie
03-02-2005, 05:43 AM
Amelie Mauresmo always reminds me of Andy Roddick. There's a bit of resemblance. It isn't striking, but they do have similarly shaped faces.

deviljet88
03-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Amelie Mauresmo always reminds me of Andy Roddick. There's a bit of resemblance. It isn't striking, but they do have similarly shaped faces.
They're both men as well. *hears groans of dismay from around the forum*

Leonie
03-02-2005, 08:04 AM
They're both men as well. *hears groans of dismay from around the forum*

Funny that. I was going to say she looks like Roddick's secret twin brother, but decided not to :icon_razz