PDA

View Full Version : Golfers?

hasselbrad
24-01-2005, 01:24 PM
How many of you play golf?
If you play...how often, how well, and with what equipment?
What sort of courses do you like?
It can even be a picture thread if'n you like. I'll try and post a pic of clubs later.

Taylor Made R580 driver, stiff shaft, oversize Lamkin grip.
Callaway Steelhead 3 wood, stiff.
Ping ISI-K irons (3-PW) Silver dot (4 degrees upright, 1" longer) Stiff Cushin.
Cleveland 588 56 degree.
All have Winn oversize grips.
Ping Anser 4 putter, 34" w/Winn grip.

I have a Ping sand and lob wedge that I am going to have regripped and put back in the bag. I don't like the Cleveland wedge for full shots. I want to get a Winn grip on the driver because I like the way they feel. I have stopped wearing a glove now that I have the Winns. I use the oversize grips because I have switched to Natural Golf. Laugh it up...but I hit it pretty straight and haven't lost much in the way of distance.

I shot 94 on the RTJ Senator course at Capitol Hill in Montgomery last week. It's a links course and it was windy as hell. (Of course, it's an Americanized links course which meant any shot that landed short of the green, stayed short of the green.) Probably 30 or 40 mph, so I was pretty pleased. I burned a lot of shots around the greens because I haven't been practicing my short game, but I played really well tee to green.

barrington
24-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Ping Sand and Lob Wedge!
They sound like an unlikely Japanese thrash-jazz duet.

hasselbrad
24-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Ping Sand and Lob Wedge!
They sound like an unlikely Japanese thrash-jazz duet.

Funny...I always thought Ping ISI-K sounded like something Quentin Tarantino would be obsessed with.

Jasper
24-01-2005, 06:30 PM
I play about once a year... very poorly.

My gear? Rental clubs :).

Richard
24-01-2005, 09:04 PM
How many of you play golf?
If you play...how often, how well, and with what equipment?
What sort of courses do you like?

I used to play. I was the best player on my varsity golf team for 3 years. How well? Good, that's about it. I like to play 9-holes too. I get exhausted and start a shit-fit because my feet hurt if I play 18. And I don't feel like wasting $23 to rent a cart.

I play at these courses called Little Rec, Big Rec, and El Dorado (http://www.longbeach.gov/park/facilities/parks/el_dorado_golf_course.asp).

My best and only score for an 18-hole is 127 (par 72). For a 9-hole, it's a 39 (par 32). Yep, Yep.

Zavender
24-01-2005, 09:20 PM
I played only five times or so on a Par 3, 9 whole course (we'd play the wholes twice). I stopped when I realized it was the first sport I wasn't good at. Still, I got better my last two times and wound up with a +1 career there. I still play mini golf though, and that I rule at.

SimplyKnightley
24-01-2005, 11:57 PM
the only thing i love about golf is.......

the buggy. Whhhhheeeeeeeeee.....!!

Edit: oh yah, i bought a Tiger Woods Tag Heuer that cost a bomb. i dunno why i did that. i'm regretting it now :icon_frow

frodo1511
25-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Right here. Varisty number one for two years running. Shot the 8th best round of a 81 for 18 at a regional-wide competition last year. While not Tiger Woods good, it was better than 72 other people:)

I love the game. As much as I love soccer. It's rather fun, besides, if you're all alone, you can curse REALLY LOUD. Oh, doing powerslides on a dirt track is just great. Me and my friends try to go golfing a couple times in the summer, rent two carts, and just mess up the place. Fun as hell.

Right now I have a set of Ping irons(desperate need of replacing), a couple Tommy Armour fairway woods(5 and 3), and a monster of a 10-degree Taylor Made Burner driver. It's a beast.

Narg
25-01-2005, 02:07 AM
i only go to fuck around on the golf buggies with mates.. and basically just fuck shit up.. :P

Jacoby
25-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I golf once a summer with my father. Since I suck and he's good, I usually convince him to not keep score after the 5th hole, and we play "Who can par more holes?" I actually got my first par ev0r on a par 4 last summer. I was happy. Oh, and my father and I can't afford the carts, so we just do powerslides with our shoes. It's a lot less satisfying.

Richard
25-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I golf once a summer with my father. Since I suck and he's good, I usually convince him to not keep score after the 5th hole, and we play "Who can par more holes?" I actually got my first par ev0r on a par 4 last summer. I was happy. Oh, and my father and I can't afford the carts, so we just do powerslides with our shoes. It's a lot less satisfying.

I got a par 2 once, it was amazing. The highlight of the season.

apoggy
25-01-2005, 08:55 PM
how do you eagle a par two?

Richard
25-01-2005, 08:59 PM
how do you eagle a par two?

"I got a par 2 once"... that makes a hell of a lotta sense. What I mean't to say was it was a par 3 and I got a birdie (it took two shots).

apoggy
25-01-2005, 09:06 PM
and you say you play golf, i understand

to answer my question, you get a hole in one from the previous green, honest.

ryan
26-01-2005, 12:40 AM
i do

titleist DCI 981 irons, cleveland wedge (57 degree), odyessey putter, orlimar trimetal woods (1, 3, 5)

Liam
26-01-2005, 01:07 AM
I'd play a few of rounds a year. As such, most aspects of my play arent too crash hot, but my short approach game is fairly good, considering how many times I've played.

I have 3 courses within 20 minutes drive, but my favourite is the Mangrove Mountain Country Club - the course is small (the back 9 is basically a repeat of the front 9, only from different tees), but it has good facilities and a top notch restaurant. Buggy hire is cheap and the course is well maintained. Its quite a hilly, long course and it can be very hot during the summer, but the promise of a couple of pints in the clubhouse at the end of the 9 makes up for it.

My grandfather bought me a good set of clubs before he passed away, and I'm sort of ashamed I don't play more often. I'll get them out later on and fill everyone in on the details.

Flightfreak
26-01-2005, 11:33 AM
ive played once. :D
August 2004: Me and my mates were in France to work, we needed to clean up 6000m² of construction ground (cutting tree's etc). The construction ground was surrounded by a golf course and my mates who are golfers had the marvellous idea to go fishing for golf balls in the middle of the night in the pools at the golf course.
We fished 500 golf balls up on two nights. :p
Anyway, we sold the good ones when we got back home, and shot the bad ones in to the forest.
I ruined my mate his garden though, shot more grass in to the forest than balls. :)

Allanon
26-01-2005, 01:39 PM
I play about 3-4 times a week when it´s the right season. And damn I rule the fucking course.
And my equipment is of to many kinds so I don´t bother writing them all