PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Relationships

Princess
04-07-2004, 10:25 PM
delete

Sarah
04-07-2004, 10:28 PM
You can't hug and kiss cyber people. Pity, really.

My sister certainly has some experiences, the stupid little girl. She went to meet some 'boy' from the internet. She didn't even tell me, or any of the family. It turns out that he was a boy, but 3 years older than what he had said. The whole thing could have turned out very different indeed. What a silly girl.

Hazzle
04-07-2004, 10:49 PM
In my view there is no reason why the internet should be anything other than another communication tool which can be used to "meet" people.

My best mate married a guy who was mates with a guy she wrote to from personals...she did it as a laugh at first but it got deep. They slowly fell in love.

All that before they met. They've been married for two years now and have a baby together (and she's beautiful btw). Incidentally...the song they danced to at their wedding (first dance) was "I knew I loved you" by Savage Garden (first line of the chorus being "I knew I loved you before I met you"). Soppy but sort of appropriate. Their wedding was a beautiful occasion and I could see in their eyes they love each other.

Anyway...the point is...if they can do it in personals, using pen and paper, why not text on a screen?

I fell in love with someone I met online...and I know others who have (shan't say as it's for them to "out" themselves :p)...sadly in my case things never worked out, and have no hope of working out...it kills me a little every day but c'est la vie, eh?

I'm glad for the experience...well...I'm not really but I can see one day how it may well aid me in the long term.

Jacoby
04-07-2004, 10:58 PM
I completely agree with Hazzle. Sometimes it can be better because you can get to know the person really well. You just have to make sure you can completely trust the person before you run out and meet them.

Hazzle
04-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I completely agree with Hazzle. Sometimes it can be better because you can get to know the person really well. You just have to make sure you can completely trust the person before you run out and meet them.

<nods> EXACTLY :) You get to know the PERSON rather than what they look like, rather than getting caugh up in the lust that must accompany any physical meeting :)

Kyle_West
04-07-2004, 11:47 PM
I think me and Hazzle talked about this yesterday.

Jacoby
04-07-2004, 11:59 PM
I think me and Hazzle talked about this yesterday.
Ok.....Since we're all not Hazzle (though we strive to be) , what are your thoughts on this subject?

ryan
05-07-2004, 12:32 AM
i think that trust and (obviously) intimacy are bigger problems with net relationships than regular relationships.
but if you can make it work, go for it.

Kelsey
05-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Heh. Do I dare respond to this thread? ...

I've become really good friends with a few people I've met through KKW (we've been talking for what...about a year now?) and it's funny how a part of your life they become. Some more than others. It's funny how strong your feelings can get for someone you've never seen in person, but when you talk nearly every day, you almost forget about that. I have feelings for someone I met and have gotten to know *really* well, who I met on KKW. I am sure we will get the opportunity to meet in person one day, but it's nice knowing that we already know each other well. Will things work out? Who knows, but at least I've gained a good friend from all of it. And if things do work out, it'll be a story that's a little more unique when people ask how we met.

Pygmalion
05-07-2004, 09:45 AM
There's a girl I used to be friends with who'd meet people on the net, then give them OUR (her school friends) email addreses. This one guy who added me to his MSN whom I talked to once was convinced he was gonna marry her and thought she was a skinny attractive blonde, when really, she's a dumpy redhead. We aren't friends anymore. So yes it's better to be honest about who you are.

On the other hand I have two really good friends whom I've never MET met (one from KKW-you know who you are) and the other one helped me through a tough time when i was....harming myself. Another friend o'mine is going out with a girl she met on the net, she's at her house at the mo...

DragonRat
05-07-2004, 10:02 AM
It all comes down to trust. If you can trust someone, without looking at their face, without hearing their voice, and simply take it in faith that the person you are talking to, is the person you are talking to, then there is no reason why a cyber relationship cannot work. At times, it is easier than talking face-to-face, because it's harder to talk while discerning another person's facial or bodily expressions. (That's what emoticons and smilies are for, I suppose.)

Sarah
05-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Talking of meeting people from t'internet, I want to meet all the KKwavers one day. :D I love everyone here.

ryan
05-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Haz keeps saying he wants a relationship with me when I visit London in two months.
I keep telling him I don't swing that way, but he's as stubborn as an ox.
Haz, I said no!

Kyle_West
05-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Ok.....Since we're all not Hazzle (though we strive to be) , what are your thoughts on this subject?

I said it can't be done. If I can't see the person, or touch the person, or do anything with that person then it can't happen. But if you agree to meet and it all works out well then whatever. I myself would rather stick to how it is now, with people I see everyday.

acliff
05-07-2004, 06:05 PM
Haz keeps saying he wants a relationship with me when I visit London in two months.
I keep telling him I don't swing that way, but he's as stubborn as an ox.
Haz, I said no!

Ryan you should go for it, its not like you have any other options.

On a more serious note, internet is a communication tool. Like voice, body language, writing. The only problem is the anonymity.
I have become good friends with people online. I mean I met Liam and Hazzle, and will soon meet more people from here. One thing I've found is that getting on really well online doesn't necessarily mean you'll get on well offline. Luckily Liam is safe, and Hazzle is just about tolerable.

I am intensely wary of internet relationships, as to me it gives you all of the negatives of the normal relationship with very little positives. Closeness, trust are just not the same, I can imagine you feel the burn of upsets, which are greater in magnitude in any good feelings.

Ardnax
05-07-2004, 06:10 PM
I have a fling on msn. I'm going to meet him at saturday. I'm so exhited!

Liam
05-07-2004, 06:41 PM
Talking of meeting people from t'internet, I want to meet all the KKwavers one day. :D I love everyone here.

KKWOMGWTFBBQ - Sometime between August 7 and 13. You are invited :D

When we know more about where (ie. if we can hijack duckula's place or if we need to bring weapons and hijack a park) we will post more details. Basically in London somewhere.

Jacoby
05-07-2004, 08:55 PM
I have a fling on msn. I'm going to meet him at saturday. I'm so exhited!

I hope you really trust him and it all goes well. :)

Basically in London somewhere.
Wouldn't it be easier to hold it in Rochester, N.Y.?

All relationships are built on trust. It's indeed a bit harder to trust someone while talking online. But if you can trust that person, and they can trust you, go for it. :)

acliff
05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to hold it in Rochester, N.Y.?

Pfff Rochester, N.Y? Does Rochester, N.Y have Acliff and Duckula? No?
I guess its London then. Not being self centred, but we are where its at.

duckula
06-07-2004, 12:09 AM
Meeting people on the net is risky. If it the prelude to romance then I would essentially be worried that the person was ugly. Its not shallow, its true, I couldn't sustain a romantic relationship unless I was very physically attracted to my partner.
On the purely friend level it works well and I have had a good experience with everyone I have met in real life from the net (shout out to those who have had the distinct experience of meeting me too early in the morning).

Hazzle
06-07-2004, 01:48 AM
Meeting people on the net is risky. If it the prelude to romance then I would essentially be worried that the person was ugly. Its not shallow, its true, I couldn't sustain a romantic relationship unless I was very physically attracted to my partner.

And the Duckmeister is BACK! Brutally honest as always. Now I disagree, as I'm very much a personality guy...looks means squat to me, largely as I look like a warthog's behind...so I figure if I expect a girl to look beyond the repulsive exterior...beyond the repulsive personality to the tiny shreds of decency I still hang on to (yes, I think there's still a tiny fragment of my warped brain that's still human)...the least I can do is look beyond their looks :)

On the purely friend level it works well and I have had a good experience with everyone I have met in real life from the net (shout out to those who have had the distinct experience of meeting me too early in the morning).

To me that's where all relationships begin...I've never been in love with someone who wasn't a friend (well, sort of friend) first...

Oh...and thanks for the shoutout...but please don't remind us of the experience...and I thought I looked hideous in the mornings!

Pygmalion
06-07-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I'm a personality person, generally, if a person's ugly and I hate them, its not BECAUSE they're ugly, its because they're a twat.

I think there should be a reunion for KKW members on every continent-for the pople who live there! Like one here in Aus, not sure where it'd be...Syd perhaps?

acliff
06-07-2004, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I'm a personality person, generally, if a person's ugly and I hate them, its not BECAUSE they're ugly, its because they're a twat.

I think there should be a reunion for KKW members on every continent-for the pople who live there! Like one here in Aus, not sure where it'd be...Syd perhaps?

Don't you mean union?
Besides, 're'unions require trust. I threw Liam a line, and he didn't arrive and chop me into piece with a cunningly hidden cleaver. You might not be so lucky... *cue dramatic music*

Hazzle
06-07-2004, 03:39 AM
I threw Liam a line, and he didn't arrive and chop me into piece with a cunningly hidden cleaver.

Yet...there's always time...I don't trust him...shifty eyes...you can never trust a man with shifty eyes :eek:

Sephiroth v2.0
06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
yes, I think there's still a tiny fragment of my warped brain that's still human

We must harvest this...
For the sake of humanity

Ardnax
06-07-2004, 01:50 PM
I hope you really trust him and it all goes well. :)
He's a friend to my friend but I've never met him in person before. I hope everything goes well. He's very nice and goergeus to! ;)

keira loves lipgloss
06-07-2004, 03:10 PM
woooooooooooooooooooooooo a fling very nice!

Sarah
06-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I think everyone here should meet each other. I'd be scared of meeting you all, though. You'd probably all want to murder me, he he he.

acliff
06-07-2004, 04:24 PM
I think everyone here should meet each other. I'd be scared of meeting you all, though. You'd probably all want to murder me, he he he.

Murder? Hardly. I just want to invite you to dinner... *twitches* *sharpens gutting knife* *chills Chianti*

Sarah
06-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Ok, thats scary. Actually, you should all eat me and cook me. Ummm, delightful.

Back on topic, though, internet relationships...don't think I'd marry anyone from the internet, But you never know.

apoggy
06-07-2004, 04:33 PM
My dad met his current partner through internet dating, they have been seeing each other for 3 years and are very happy

keira loves lipgloss
06-07-2004, 04:45 PM
nah sarah we wouldnt chop you!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Liam
06-07-2004, 06:58 PM
I found these two portions especially interesting. The transition from online to offline was amazingly smooth for some of the meetings I’ve attended---almost like a family reunion. There was not one disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Everyone was "better" than expected.

Well, when I met Cliff and duckula, things were slow to start until the mention of Cliff's fall-leap from his 2nd floor window (the funniest thing I have seen in my life). After that it was almost like we had known each other years.

Sarah, we wont chop you. We have Haz to chop.

duckula
07-07-2004, 01:54 AM
He dropped, the big girl.

Ashlyn
07-07-2004, 06:27 AM
I've made a few close friends through the internet and it's surprising how similar internet relationships are to those in real life. I wouldn't have any problem meeting up with the friends I've made - I trust them and feel I know enough about them to be safe if I ever met them. There's so much fuss about meeting strangers on the internet who are stalkers or psychos or whatever, but to me it seems pretty straight foward - all the people I've met who have lied to me about age or whatever have been really strange people anyway.. I don't really know how to explain it - the strange ones are just strange from the beginning and you can tell they're not being honest, and they're really pushy and stuff.. (doesn't really make sense sorry)
EDIT: Second thoughts... The Centre and such....

Pygmalion
07-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Well said Mentee

Ashlyn
07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Well I learn from the master!

Ardnax
07-07-2004, 04:52 PM
I want to meet one here, and some of you may call me nuts but I want to meet keira loves lipgloss!

keira loves lipgloss
07-07-2004, 04:59 PM
ye id love to meet ardnax and aim it would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooo kool!

Ardnax
07-07-2004, 05:00 PM
We would take about Keira for hours! And about Harry Potter.

keira loves lipgloss
07-07-2004, 05:13 PM
yeah me and ardnax have so much in common!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :)

Ardnax
07-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Yes, we have! But I don't post as much as Ellie.

keira loves lipgloss
07-07-2004, 05:28 PM
nah im keira krazy totally krazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ardnax
07-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Yes, I agree with that but I think we're kind of off topic now. Sorry everyone!

acliff
07-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Yes, I agree with that but I think we're kind of off topic now. Sorry everyone!

Kinda off topic?
Chat each other up in private messages, or MSN. Don't pollute this perfectly good thread with your filth.

amishka
07-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Pfff Rochester, N.Y? Does Rochester, N.Y have Acliff and Duckula? No?
I guess its London then. Not being self centred, but we are where its at.
NY would be cool... who said we need acliff and duckula ? ;)

Ardnax
07-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Kinda off topic?
Chat each other up in private messages, or MSN. Don't pollute this perfectly good thread with your filth.
Yeah, sorry! It wont happen again. *Me kissing your feet* Sorry sorry sorry!!!

Hazzle
08-07-2004, 02:29 AM
Well, when I met Cliff and duckula, things were slow to start until the mention of Cliff's fall-leap from his 2nd floor window (the funniest thing I have seen in my life). After that it was almost like we had known each other years.

Sarah, we wont chop you. We have Haz to chop.

Sorry...can't do that...my body is dedicated to medical science so they can investigate this enigma :)

Yeah...was cool meeting the chaps...and it was totally like being with old friends not new ones...suppose you can really get to know someone online (if they're open and honest) so meeting them just completes it.

acliff
08-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Shame Haz had to stink up the event with his all pervasive retch-worthy odour.

Hazzle
08-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Shame Haz had to stink up the event with his all pervasive retch-worthy odour.

Ooooh...original...haven't heard that one before Cliff...

Is your material drying up? You all burnt up in the comedy stakes? What a shame...maybe you bumped your head when you dropped? :D

acliff
08-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Ooooh...original...haven't heard that one before Cliff...

Is your material drying up? You all burnt up in the comedy stakes? What a shame...maybe you bumped your head when you dropped? :D

Even if my material was drier than a cocaine addict's nostrils, I'd always stay funnier than you :)
Now i'm going to be a complete hypocrite, and tell everyone to fucking stay on topic. (that includes you haz) Thank you.