PDA

View Full Version : Heroes

Andrew
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
(Don't no whether heroes would be the right word, maybe role model is better suited)

Who are you you heroes? and why?
Have they influenced you or inspired you to do something?

Here are some of mine:
*Martine Scorsese- Made some classic films and I really enjoy his films
*Thom Yorke- Part of one of my favourite bands and has made some great songs
*My best friend- has helped me alot over the years and incidently shares my name
*My Dad- generally my whole family but inparticular my Dad as he has also helped me out and is why I look upto him

I will list more later once I put my thinking cap on, I'll leave it to everyone to list theres now then.

EmotionSickness
06-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't really look up to anyone, per se, as I don't know many people that I feel are very much like me. It's hard to look up to someone who has completely different goals, aspirations, and achievements than you. There are, however, a heck of a lot of people (both famous and not) that I do admire, for whatever reason.

My mom -- stating the obvious here. My mom always has been and always will be my best friend. I love you, Ma!

John Lennon -- again with the obvious. A fucking brilliant songwriter and an overall kindred spirit, or so I'd like to think.

Vincent Van Gogh -- a beautiful man who made beautiful art; another kindred spirit.

Audrey Hepburn -- I just admire and adore everything about this woman. She is the epitome of grace, class, style, and elegance, all rolled into one breath-takingly beautiful package. Not to mention what a fantastic actress she was. I've always wanted to be Audrey.

Edwin Arlington Robinson and Robert Frost -- two legendary American poets who also happen to be my two all-time favorites. I had never seen myself or my life in a poem before I got into these guys.

My dad -- either my best friend or my worst enemy. He fucked me up in more ways than I can explain (yeah, we have an extremely tumultous relationship), but at the same time, I can't help but recognize (and admire) what a brilliant man he really is. He instilled in me a love and appreciation for things like classical music, poetry, and all things history. He's a genius.

Ranman
06-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Wow after reading that im embarsed to say Indiana Jones, but what the heck

deviljet88
06-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I've got no heroes, besides maybe my mum for influencing me enough to make me want to become a doctor or something that's helpful to other people.

Dionysus
06-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Dave Gilmour, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, George Harrison, Jimmy page, Pete Townsend, Keith Richard

my guitar mentors

hasselbrad
06-01-2005, 02:23 PM
My grandfather was the oldest of six children. My great-grandparents contracted tuberculosis and were hospitalized in North Carolina, so he was forced to support the family at the age of 15 or so. He spent the next few years traveling throughout the southeastern and southwestern United States building railroad stations and working in oil fields so that his younger siblings could continue school. I think that qualifies him for hero status.

frodo1511
06-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Napoleon Dynamite-brought the world of nerds into the mainstream.

Tiger Woods-made golf cool again.

Freedy Adu-again, made the MLS cool.

PhoeniX
06-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I would say the soldiers in WW1 and 2, visit one of the cemeteries in Europe and you'll probably see why

FooTM
06-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Freedy Adu-again, made the MLS cool.

Don't be silly. The MLS was never cool. ;)

Renegade
06-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Wow Frodo, with role models like that, it's no surprise you turned out to be the person you are today. :p

My mom. I was never close to her, but that was my fault. She always gave more than she took. God bless her. I guess they're right, you never know how much something means to you until it's gone.

My grandmother (mom's mom). She kicked breast cancer's ass. She's always concerned about my well-being and will do almost anything to help me succeed.

acting4ever
06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Er....my mum just cause she's a mum, mum's are always there and will probably(more than likely) do everything in the world to make you happy. Dad's as well but for girls you can talk to your mum more than you can to dads.

Nicole Kidman - She was the one that proved me that my obsession with movies and watching people cry in them was a good thing...and that the strane feeling I got after movies was a good thing. She is the one that inspired me enough to face the fact that I wanted to be an actress.

Johnny Depp - He can actually do no wrong...I mean seriously, this man is incredible. He's hot, he has a famly and he is an amazing actor.

Charlize Theron & Marilyn Monroe - They both have magnificent stories yet both made it to reach to their best and reach their goals...that is truly inspiring.

Jacoby
06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Mom & Dad
Steinbeck
R.P. McMurphy

The above four for various reasons. All of them apparent enough.

frodo1511
06-01-2005, 08:27 PM
Don't be silly. The MLS was never cool. ;)

Shoosh, it's cool in the states, seeing as how we don't have anything quite as big as socc... I mean football in England. Too many people change their minds in this country.

By Ren:"Wow Frodo, with role models like that, it's no surprise you turned out to be the person you are today."

Seeing as how most everyone would pick their parents, it was irrelevent for me to put them down. Plus, I only act like a jerk online, it's not like it means anything. People take things on the internet too goddamn seriously!

hasselbrad
06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Shoosh, it's cool in the states, seeing as how we don't have anything quite as big as socc... I mean football in England. Too many people change their minds in this country.

By Ren:"Wow Frodo, with role models like that, it's no surprise you turned out to be the person you are today."

Seeing as how most everyone would pick their parents, it was irrelevent for me to put them down. Plus, I only act like a jerk online, it's not like it means anything. People take things on the internet too goddamn seriously!

Just because only 3,000 people show up to watch, doesn't make it "cool".
You've obviously never been to a NFL or college football game.

frodo1511
06-01-2005, 09:05 PM
Just because only 3,000 people show up to watch, doesn't make it "cool".
You've obviously never been to a NFL or college football game.

I've been to a Denver Bronco an St Louis Ram football game, and two home college football games at the UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN. I know how big they can get.

What I was trying to say originally is that, unlike England, which has only one major sport(soccer), America has many (football, baseball, hockey, basketball...)

Richard
06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Tarantino - Eh... I don't know why.
Buddy Holly - Made me buy a guitar.
George Harrison - My favorite Beatle. No reason, he's just cool.

My parents will never be considered heroes. They bought me pots and pans to play with when I was a child.

The Black Rider
06-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Bono - For once, a celebrity who doesn't just shoot his mouth whilst preening himself.

Peter Greenaway - One of the only true geniuses in the history of film.

acliff
06-01-2005, 10:32 PM
My mother for putting up with me being an arrogant stubborn little twat for all these years. It takes inhuman patience and resolve, and I respect that.

Bruce Lee. Not only is his work and body inspiration, his work ethic and concentration is unparalleled. Also to be one of the most well known people in the history of this earth is no mean feat.

I'll think of some more later.

Narg
06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
My balls.

Kelsey
06-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I don't have heroes, but these are my role models:

Scarlett Johansson
Sandra Bullock
Alice C-
Melanie S-

duckula
06-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Batman - Super sleuth, defender of justice, lover of beautiful ladies and all round righteous dude.

Quentin Tarantino, Kevin Smith, Michael Mann and Ridley Scott - For making the kinds of films I would like to.

R J Mitchell - For making the kinds of planes I wish I could.

My Parents - For being such great people and raising such a masterwork of humanity such as myself.

JackYang
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Kobe Bryant - Always look for solutions even in tough times , One with unlimited confidence.

Jacoby
07-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Forgot to mention another one of my heroes. Charlie Kaufman. I love his work. All of it. Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, and Being John... are some of my favorite movies and the guy...

My balls.
:icon_lol:

...is just fucking amazing. His stories are so brilliant that it's almost scary. My hero on the music scene is probably Devendra, Ringo, or maybe Tweedy.

Scott
07-01-2005, 02:58 AM
My grand-dad. He may not of been very wealthy or educated, but he was one of the most genourous people I've ever known. He always took the time to help anyone, even complete strangers and did lots of charity work. He taught me all that I know about wood working, and would always take time to come to the garage and help even though his doctor said to stay in bed and take it easy.

Metallica. They're my favourite band, and got me interested in music.

Gary Lyon. He was an AFL player, who's retired now, but use to play for the Melbourne Demons (my favourite team). I've met him on several occassions, and he's an all round top bloke and he was a fantastic player.

Dionysus
07-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Tarantino - Eh... I don't know why.
Buddy Holly - Made me buy a guitar.
George Harrison - My favorite Beatle. No reason, he's just cool.

nice list

and George was my favourite beatle too :D

Liam
07-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Confound time zones. Frank beat me to the Mitchell worship.

R. J. Mitchell: What the duck said.
Erich Hartmann: For flying planes like I wish I could.
Tom Araya: For playing bass and screaming violent nonsense like I wish I could.

All war veterans, especially those who fought against overwhelming odds. Bravery, sacrifice, glory. My respect and thanks forever.

Jacoby
07-01-2005, 06:45 PM
All war veterans, especially those who fought against overwhelming odds. Bravery, sacrifice, glory. My respect and thanks forever.

Yes. Add my grandfather to the list. He joined the army when he was 15 (told them he was 18) to go fight the war. He was a great man.

Charlie
07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
off the top of my head, robin williams. really funny guy he's what you call a real comedian that can put a laugh on anyone.

EmotionSickness
07-01-2005, 08:29 PM
He's really hairy, too.

TimC
07-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Paul McCartney
George Martin
Brian Wilson

Any order - and i suppose i should mention Robbie Fowler as well

FooTM
07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Gary Neville never lets me down.