PDA

View Full Version : The Jacket

Pages : 1 [2]

JackYang
06-03-2005, 12:38 AM
lol she's only human. If she was perfect then that'd be awkward.

EmotionSickness
06-03-2005, 03:35 AM
K, I saw this last night. I wasn't too terribly impressed. I mean, I was entertained ... don't get me wrong ... but I guess I just expected a little more. Her accent wasn't all that great and neither was her acting, now that I think about it. Her voice was soo deep and unnatural sounding, like she was trying to mask her British accent by talking lower, rather than really doing a proper American accent (but it's difficult, I know).

The movie was very confusing (my little brother was completely lost) and it left something to be desired. Okay acting from everyone ... nothing great or spectacular, nothing out-right awful, either. I take back the "bad acting from Keira" part. She was decent. I just know she could do better. I've seen her do better.

Ohh, and as I said in another thread: don't get your hopes up about the "nudity", fellas. There are two quick side boob shots (one in the bathtub, one in a sex scene). Typical Keira Knightley nudity ... blink and you'll miss it.

Overall, I'd give this movie ** out of ****.

frodo1511
06-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, I thought it was a rather good movie, saw it last night. Adrien was amazing(go figure), Kris Kristofferson(sp) was really good, Jennifer Jason Leigh also did a good job. It took me a while to like Keira's accent(that, and It was a midnight showing I went to :icon_popc I thought she did a great job, seeing as this was her first "serious" role(soccer player, damsel in distress, queen, etc. those are all summer movie occupation). The f/x in Brody's eyes when he was time traveling were nice, as well as the "hospital" itself(the times you saw it at night reminded me a little bit of Resident Evil). Overall I enjoyed this movie, but I think I'm going to have to see it again at an earlier time. 4 out of 5.

Kelsey
06-03-2005, 05:07 PM
This is probably the best acting I've ever seen her do, which doesn't say a whole lot. I thought everything about this movie was average. I was disappointed with the end, and felt like I had just sat through the two hours for absolutely nothing.

ryan
06-03-2005, 05:08 PM
K, I saw this last night. I wasn't too terribly impressed. I mean, I was entertained ... don't get me wrong ... but I guess I just expected a little more. Her accent wasn't all that great and neither was her acting, now that I think about it. Her voice was soo deep and unnatural sounding, like she was trying to mask her British accent by talking lower, rather than really doing a proper American accent (but it's difficult, I know).

The movie was very confusing (my little brother was completely lost) and it left something to be desired. Okay acting from everyone ... nothing great or spectacular, nothing out-right awful, either. I take back the "bad acting from Keira" part. She was decent. I just know she could do better. I've seen her do better.

Ohh, and as I said in another thread: don't get your hopes up about the "nudity", fellas. There are two quick side boob shots (one in the bathtub, one in a sex scene). Typical Keira Knightley nudity ... blink and you'll miss it.

Overall, I'd give this movie ** out of ****.

i agree with some of the points you made. i, however, would give it 2 and a half stars out of 4.

Dyce_Blue
06-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I thought that I had fallen out of love with Keira...

...but then I happened to glance at the Jacket premiere photos on yahoo.

It made me wanna finish my movie right then and there...

she is looking beautiful, and remember, I wasn't a fan of the short hair

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/thejacket.html

Jamie
06-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah she'll always be good looking no matter what style her hair is in but i must say i don't like her hair style, but i can't speak for Keira Knightley.

KnightleyNews
06-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Estimates put The Jacket at No.10 in its opening week, taking $2.7m across 1,331 screens. Exact figures out Monday.

Paul

frodo1511
06-03-2005, 10:59 PM
^No suprise their, it was only in 1300 screens or so, and it went up against money makers like the Pacifier and Be Cool. Nothing can stop John Travolta.

BTW, did anyone else think Keira's line, "Come back to me Jack" was completly ripped from Somewhere in Time?

mufiman
07-03-2005, 12:48 AM
i thought the movie was pretty decent. Keira wasnt so bad, just sounded different with the low americanized voice.

did anyone see the butterfly effect? the jacket is quite similar to that movie.

EmotionSickness
07-03-2005, 03:06 AM
did anyone see the butterfly effect? the jacket is quite similar to that movie.

My thoughts as I was leaving the theater ... exactly.

ryan
07-03-2005, 02:53 PM
My thoughts as I was leaving the theater ... exactly.

perhaps, but brody > kutcher and keira > amy smart.

EmotionSickness
07-03-2005, 05:04 PM
But of course. I liked the Jacket much more than I enjoyed the Butterfly Effect.

The Black Rider
07-03-2005, 09:16 PM
This probably won't surprise any of you, but I really didn't like The Jacket, though not for the reasons that the critics focused on. I didn't think it was confusing at all, and if you expect any film to be entirely realistic, then you should stop going to the movies altogether.

I had two major problems with this film. Firstly, in one way or another, we've seen this kind of film before. Specifically, this film played out as a cross between 12 Monkeys and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but critics have also pointed out similarities to Vanilla Sky and The Butterfly Effect. This, in my view, can be best attributed to the slavish dependence on traditional linear narrative, that most films are confined by these days. Had The Jacket rejected this formula, I think the film would've been more interesting.

My second problem was simply that it had no point. This would be fine, except that the audience is lead to believe that there's a point. I was expecting a kind of "self-actualization" film, much like the TV series The Singing Detective, in which the main character (played by Michael Gambon) has to let go of his resentments and his other various problems in order to cure himself of his illness. But all I got out of The Jacket was that he could somehow travel through time. So what?

Having said that, Keira was excellent, giving a better performance than I had expected. All of the other actors were very good (except Kris Kristofferson, an even worse version of the overrated Morgan Freeman), Maybury's direction was impressive (reminiscent slightly of his mentor Derek Jarman) and I also really liked Brian Eno's score.

ryan
07-03-2005, 11:21 PM
But of course. I liked the Jacket much more than I enjoyed the Butterfly Effect.

naturally.

Ranman
09-03-2005, 11:56 PM
I just saw it and I liked it. The first 30 minutes was slowing going,
But it picked up and was very interesting. Defiantly thumbs up.

frodo1511
10-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I liked it when Adrien Brody got shot by the kid, but survived. Kinda reminded me of Black Hawk Down(where the kid shoots his dad on accident)

JackYang
10-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Movie's great, just watched it. It was a bit odd in the beginning but all is great!

Juliamariskamadadh
16-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Film News: Here's a Jacket review from The Sun's Johnny Vaughan (Capitol fm) At the Movies
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003080003-2005220170,,00.html (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003080003-2005220170,,00.html)
Reminder- Star Wars: The Return Of The Sith (Which Keira appeared in the 1st prequel) is opening tonight!
(5:00pm Atl.)
Julie

Dionysus
17-05-2005, 12:58 AM
does anyone know if this will be released in australia?

KnightleyNews
17-05-2005, 01:12 PM
does anyone know if this will be released in australia?

June 2nd if this page is correct:
http://www.readingcinemas.com.au/t_moviedetail.asp?Mov_Id=780

Paul

Dionysus
17-05-2005, 01:45 PM
ah goodo
cheers paul
:icon_beer

KnightleyNews
18-05-2005, 11:21 AM
The Jacket debuted at No.8 in the UK, taking only £176,000 - although it was only across 100 screens instead of the 340 for a 'wide release'.

Paul

Titooy
29-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I've added some pictures to the galleries... posters (http://www.kkwavefront.org/media/thumbnails.php?album=149) and stills (http://www.kkwavefront.org/media/thumbnails.php?album=142)

frodo1511
19-06-2005, 02:55 PM
The DVD comes out tuesday in the states.
I'll probably pick this one up, or maybe wait until after my birthday.