PDA

View Full Version : Question for broadband users

Liam
30-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Lo.

The time has come for me to discard my steroid pumped, east german swimmer of a 56k modem in favour of some altogther rather good broadband (1500/512).

What I need to know is, being a broadband virgin, do I need to buy a phone line filter for each landline phone in the house? Do I need to buy the bloody things at all? I'll be running the internet through a 4 port router.

Luff muchly.

deviljet88
30-11-2004, 08:39 AM
The wonders of broadband cable, where basically your phone lines aren't effected :P

Liam
30-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Yes they are.

Because ADSL operates on the same line as regular telephones, they must work at different frequencies. The ADSL frequency is much higher and without a filter on the regular phones, the sound quality will be terrible. Also, the ADSL connection may not work.

aspro
30-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Yes, anything you want to use on the 'normal' frequencies will need to have a filter. So basically yes, one for each phone :)

Vertical Vortex
30-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Here in holland we get from the company a modem, or gateway (whatever you wanna name it) witch is doing all the filtering for you. Dunno how they do it in your world though.

aspro
30-11-2004, 10:53 AM
In tasmania at least, we use the filters so the regular phones dont pick up all the garbage coming from the adsl modem on the high 'adsl' frequencies.

hasselbrad
30-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes you need to use the filters on each line.
Over here in the States, the phone company usually provides a gaggle of the filters when you sign up for the broadband service. At least BellSouth did.

Flightfreak
30-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Yeah, you need one on each phone,
but I have solved that by putting one splitter where the connection comes in the house.
So i only needed one splitter.

Mandy
30-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Cable Modem is awesome too.

ryan
30-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Lo.

The time has come for me to discard my steroid pumped, east german swimmer of a 56k modem in favour of some altogther rather good broadband (1500/512).

What I need to know is, being a broadband virgin, do I need to buy a phone line filter for each landline phone in the house? Do I need to buy the bloody things at all? I'll be running the internet through a 4 port router.

Luff muchly.

Yes, they'll usually come in the hardware kit from the ISP.
You need filters on all the lines because the voice and data operating at different frequencies within the same phone line...if a filters's bunk and can't filter out the data (much higher frequency), then you've problems with your voice.

Pete
30-11-2004, 05:55 PM
what i did wth mine is if you have a central point which the other phone lines are sourced from - you can fix a filter to that - then just run a filtered line straight to your pc, and the other socket to your phones....

when you link them up you have to be careful that you dont double filter your sockets otherwise it screws it up a bit...

if you use extensions to get phones in various rooms just do a bit of logical thinking first before you fit it... best thing to do when you first get your new adsl modem is unplug every other phone connected to the line and just plug the modem in, once thats up and running and you can connect to the internet start plugging in each phone one by one and if the internet cuts out - add a filter to that phone.

best of luck.. shouldnt take you 10 mins once the modems installed..