PDA

View Full Version : Big Fish & Road To Perdition

Richard
19-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Being a semi-fan of Tim Burton films, I thought I'd take a gander at what some people often say is Burton's best work. But going into Big Fish I knew I was going to be vastly entertained by Burton's uncomparable extraordinary vision (come on guys, who can deny that). And I was.

Big Fish was a great movie. Everything about it was so fairy tale to me (that's probably because that's what's intended), and I was left with a great feeling of satisfaction by the end of the movie. I'd recommend it.

Road To Perdition however, was a minor let-down. Now that I think of it, I guess I really don't know what I was expecting, but whatever it was... I didn't get it. Normally in movies like this, the evil villains in the film are expected to die by the end of the movie. But I loved Jude Law's character so much, I didn't want him to die. If he had lived, I probably would have liked this movie a lot more because of that reason alone. Tom Hanks's character was also another character I didn't necessarily wanted to die either (though I saw it coming a mile away). But having that kid be the sole survivior by the end of the film was something I wasn't too pleased with. No doubt many of you will probably disagree, it's something I can hardly explain.

I'd also like to mention I wasn't too impressed by Hanks's performance. I actually talked to a close friend who said this was Tom Hanks best role... I'm sorry I just don't agree to that. But I enjoyed the movie, that's what matters.

Your thoughts?

Renegade
19-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Dude Richard, I just saw Big Fish yesterday. And my thoughts...hmm...I liked it from an entertainment point-of-view but I never really got emotionally attached with the characters. There wasn't much of a connection. Overall, I think it's a fun, entertaining, above-average movie. 3/4 stars.

Richard
19-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Dude Richard, I just saw Big Fish yesterday. And my thoughts...hmm...I liked it from an entertainment point-of-view but I never really got emotionally attached with the characters. There wasn't much of a connection. Overall, I think it's a fun, entertaining, above-average movie. 3/4 stars.

Whoa... I too watched Big Fish yesterday. I think I should dump Jake as my brother and choose you. Only kidding. I can't do that him, he has a weak heart afterall.

Well, I connected with... okay you have a point. :p

DragonRat
19-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Road to Perdition wasn't directed by Tim Burton, just to clarify. I haven't seen it, but it looked pretty good.

Big Fish actually got mixed reviews (mostly positive), but I enjoyed it. It still has that certain American gothic format to it, similarly in many Burton movies, but it still captured that certain charm inherent in the main characters and actors (Ewan MacGregor is one of the better actors of his generation, and Alison Lohman really does look like a yesteryear Jessica Lange). The Pearl Jam song at the end, though, really hits the spot.

Ashley
19-11-2004, 06:39 AM
Big Fish was amazing. The characters were larger than life and I did get attached to the characters as near the end I was doing the hide/cry in the theater only to hear other people behind me sniffing and weeping. The visuals are amazing. Tim Burton is an amazing director, one of the best out there. His vision is unlike any other I've seen.

Louie
19-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Yes, Big Fish was an amazing movie. The whole story was entertaining, and it never bored me. The ending was sad, but it left me in a happy mood. It is definently Tim Burton's best work.

Road To Perdition was also a great movie in my opinion. I didn't really like Jude Law's character, he was too creepy, and I wanted him to die. I was a little mad that Tom Hank's character died, but it was still a great movie.

Jacoby
19-11-2004, 10:29 PM
It is definently Tim Burton's best work.

Really? Even better than Sleepy Hollow? Or what about Nightmare Before Christmas? (He wrote NBC, someone else directed it, but it's still his work.)
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just asking...I haven't seen Big Fish yet.

Richard
19-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Really? Even better than Sleepy Hollow? Or what about Nightmare Before Christmas? (He wrote NBC, someone else directed it, but it's still his work.)
I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really just asking...I haven't seen Big Fish yet.

I just rented Sleepy Hollow, it should be here by tomorrow. Hey, that rhymed. :p But I've gotta say that I really enjoyed Edward Scissorhands.

Louie
19-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Sleepy Hollow is also a really good movie, but Big Fish had a better storyline and was just more entertaining.

The Black Rider
20-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Big Fish: I didn't adore it as much as most people did, but I did like it. Two factors brought it down for me, though: 1) It should've been shortened by at least ten minutes. 2) The main character's excessive cockiness detracted from the film's amiable nature a great deal. But a decent film nonetheless.

Road to Perdition: It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember thinking it was okay. I thought it had a lot of great elements in it, but the story was pretty bland IMHO.

By the way, Ed Wood is Burton's best film by far. He's overrated. Creative, but by no means a great filmmaker.