PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hitchcock

Richard
15-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Inspired by my recent viewing of Vertigo, I thought we should form some kind of discussion about this man's films. Simply put; any fans?

Well up until I saw Vertigo, I had seen Psycho, Rear Window, and The Birds. Despite that Vertigo had a horrible ending, I thought it was great movie. It wasn't necessarily a suspenseful thriller like I thought, but more as a mystery. For a moment (before the movie actually begun) I had every reason to believe this was going to be about a phobia... and it was only mentioned a few times through-out the movie. That was weird.

Some people may say Psycho is overrated, and I don't know if I should agree with them, but there's no denial I didn't enjoy it. I loved Norman Bates. I thought Anthony Perkins did the highlight of his career. But I haven't seen enough of his films to make what could be a false assumption. The sequels are indeed shit, but don't take my word for it. Not even Anthony Perkins (though he reprised his role as Norman in all of them) is a good enough reason. Great movie. Quite possibly the first Hitchcock film you should see.

Rear Window is genius. Everything about it is. The set, the characters, the dialogue, the wonderful James Stewart, and the beautiful Grace Kelly. It's one of the best thrillers I've ever seen.

The Birds is hilarious. There's a good chance I'll be in the minority saying that, but it is. No doubt the birds themselves are frightening, but the kids, every one of them, were annoying. But that's a horrible compliant. The Birds is one of Hitchcock's most memorable films, I guess, but I don't think this will be on my top five. It's still a good movie.

Soon, I'll be checking out Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 11:55 PM
The Birds is hilarious. There's a good chance I'll be in the minority saying that, but it is.

Yes, I'll agree with you Richard. I saw this movie a couple years ago, and I too thought it funny. Maby if I was alive when it was made/7 or 8 when I first saw it, I would have a changed opinion.

I've only seen the Birds and Psycho, which are masterpieces in my book. Anyone who hasen't seen either, do so soon.

Spire
16-11-2004, 01:34 AM
Rear Window is a masterpiece. My favorite Hitchcock movie by far. I love that film to death, it's very interesting, and downright creepy at times. I still get goosebumps thinking about certain moments in that film.

Jacoby
16-11-2004, 01:37 AM
Alfred Hitchcock had no vision. His movies are jumbled messes. Birds made my mom afraid of anything that flaps it's wings. If you make a flapping noise, she flips out.

Edit: Calm down, Richard. I was kidding. Alfred's a good man. Well made movies.

MeggieHoops
16-11-2004, 01:44 AM
Soon, I'll be checking out Rope, Dial M for Murder, North by Northwest, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Ok I LOOOVE Dial M for Murder. Seriously, it's one of my most favorite movies of all time. I just think it's so genius. And I loved the remake, The Perfect Murder, with Gwyneth Paltrow and Michael Douglas. So if you're going to rent one, rent the other and compare.

guinie22
16-11-2004, 06:53 PM
I love Alfred Hitchcock movies! I grew up watching as many as possible. I still get freaked out taking a shower after seeing Psycho- although it doesn't help that my stupid brother would reinact it for me every so often!

I was never a huge fan of the birds- most of the movies I watch over and over, but I have only seen it once. I remember that I didn't like how it ended- but I guess there really just wasn't an explanation. I also wasn't a big fan of Marnie, Strangers on a Train, or Frenzy- one of his last movies that goes a little too much into his sexual obsessions.

My favs would definitely have to be: Rear Window, To Catch a Thief, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Vertigo, Psycho, and Dial M for Murder.

Others worth watching (or at least that I have seen over the years) are: Spellbound, Rebecca, The Lady Vanishes, Rope, North by Northwest, Suspicion, Notorious, Torn Curtain, and The Trouble With Harry- which is actually more of a comedy and quite fun!

Wow, that sounds like a lot- most of these movies I haven't watched in YEARS- so I'm not sure if I would still like them- but it is Alfred Hitchcock!

marry rich people
16-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Did you know he didn't have a belly button due to an operation he got?

Richard
16-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Did you know he didn't have a belly button due to an operation he got?

I didn't know that. Now that's just weird. :icon_eek:

The Black Rider
16-11-2004, 10:52 PM
If you like Hitchcock's work, I strongly recommend you check out his earlier films (Rebecca, The 39 Steps, Spellbound, Notorious, etc.) Of his later period, I'd say North by Northwest is his best, followed closely by Vertigo. That and Rear Window are probably the only two watchable Jimmy Stewart performances ever recorded, but that's another story.

guinie22
17-11-2004, 06:20 AM
Oh- I love Jimmy Stewart!
But I do agree with you on the earlier ones. They are all pretty good- though once he got out from under David O' Selznick- the movies started reflecting his own views and style. The ones you mentioned are good, though!