PDA

View Full Version : Omg ! Halo2!

MC117
09-11-2004, 06:27 AM
omg omg omg! it is here! i cant believe it go out and grab it!! its even on teh news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deviljet88
09-11-2004, 07:05 AM
omg. XBox somebody?

acliff
09-11-2004, 07:28 AM
By the fact that noone has replied about Halo 2 since it came out, I assume they're all already addicted to the thing.
But is it actually any good, or better than the first one?

Kriv
09-11-2004, 09:53 AM
This game is fucken awesome! Wow....

Glare
09-11-2004, 10:05 AM
well when so many people own an xbox and halo is the only decent game on it, why wouldn't there be hype? And to be honest Halo doesn't even compare to the latest computer games, thats one problem with consoles and why I refuse to buy them. Have fun playing on 2 year old graphics.

Narg
09-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Actually, moron, halo 2 has awesome graphics, and are quite up to date, I own a ps2, xbox and pc, the graphics are good depending on the game development and artic influence, not nessacarily the system, ofcourse the consoles have some restrictions, but the fact that they are only building the graphics for one set of system specs meens they can take more time and use the xbox to its full potential. That argument is pathetic anyway, the best games ive ever played are atleast 5+ years old, Graphics meen shit all. It's improved on every good thing in the first game, and pushed some first person shooter boundries on its own. The ability to throw ure oponents of any vechicle in many different ways is.. just.. freaking awesome. Weapons are more balanced and extremely varied, soooo many different game modes, online is awesome. Loved owning everybody, because i had already learnt the maps from having the game a couple of weeks early :P.

This game beats most Modern PC shooters, incl DOOM 3, UT2K4 ETC. Counter-Strike source and normal still shit on it, but they are different games, so its hard to compare. If you havent got an xbox, go out and get one for this game.

Glare
09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Everyone I talked to said it was slow and shit, get up with the times and don't lie.

IBO
09-11-2004, 09:28 PM
HALO 2 IS BOOOOOMB! Tooooo illllll, online is the best i feel sorry for anyone without xbox.

BUt now i have to go back and play.
________
Motorcycle tires (http://www.motorcycle-tech.com/tires/motorcycle-tires)

Jacoby
09-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Just got back from playing online. Pretty nice. I was doing well, ranking in the top 3 usually, until the last game I played. I met up with a man named "Crackers" who overused the word "nigga". Anyways, he said he was going to beat the shit out of everyone there, and I told him I'd own his bitch ass. Game began and he kicked the shit out of me. I killed him once to every three kills he had on me. It was my third actual game, so I lacked experience, but it didn't affect it too much. He destroyed me and then talked so much shit after. It was fun though, and somehow we ended up as friends. I only got to play at my friends house for an hour, but it was a mighty fun hour. My friend has really great stats, though. He's gotten first about 54/58 games or so. Check out his stats: SuckMyDong (http://bungie.net/stats/playergamelist.aspx?player=SuckMyDong&page=1)

Liam
09-11-2004, 10:52 PM
Played it for an hour yesterday. Didn't think it was anything special.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to playing Doom 3.

Narg
09-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Doom three was fairly shit dude. Finished it quickly, and it gets mighty repetitive. Im afraid to say it has nothing on halo 2.

Spire
10-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Just got back from a 20 hour Halo 2 play session with some friends. Most of the time we played multiplayer, because Campaign got boring. It's alright, and the graphics are pretty good. There are some issues however. During Campaign, I noticed some of the backgrounds are horrible, flat textures. One was just downright awful. The only other graphical problem I've noted (besides the fact that people look very ugly on HD 480p) is that sometimes a rocket explosion is pixelated. Not just pixelated, but downright orange blocks. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, you're agasp at how awful it looks. Real-time explosions in PS1 games look better than it. Otherwise, the gaem is solid visually, although not the prettiest game I've ever seen (Doom 3, Ninja Gaiden, etc. beat it).

Anyway, it appears that the first Halo was not a fluke and that Bungie really is bad at level design. Zanzibar, Waterworks, and Blood Gultch Coagulation (and maybe Headlong) are the only levels worth playing. Campaign modes level design failed to impress either.

Other issues with the game:

- After about two hours of multiplayer, I was successful in making vehicle boarding an act of suicide. It's quite simple, when you see the opposing character begin the boarding animation, press X to get out of the vehicle. You won't take any damage and as soon as you're out, just blast the vehicle with whatever weapons you might have. Unless it's a tank, it'll either blow up before they're finished boarding or as they're just driving away.

- Automatically dropping a weapon when you pistol whip while dual weilding is annoying.

- The A.I. seems to be about as dumb as it was in the first Halo.

- Grenade physics have been altered and now can't be throw as far. Plus they bounce oddly. Pistol whipping has also be limited, as now you have be extremely close to them for it to hit. Both have also been reduced in power.

Anyway, I enjoy the game, but only for multiplayer. I expect lots of great times.

MC117
10-11-2004, 01:57 AM
i got it at midnight at the mall, there must;ve been around 150 people in line.

Jacoby
10-11-2004, 02:00 AM
i got it at midnight at the mall, there must;ve been around 150 people in line.

Heh, cool...Same thing at our Electronics Boutique.

How about everyone tells their tag so if we bump into eachother?

I, when I get my live thing set up in a month or two, will be either "I Got Died" or "DongPiece".

MC117, is your live tag "HALO117"? I saw someone with that tag today.

Narg
10-11-2004, 04:36 AM
I play on xbox connect with the tag Narg. -its free and can be played on modded and non modded xbox's.

frodo1511
10-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Ok, got the game at midnight last night, haven't stopped playing since right now-yes, I brought my Xbox to school.

Good: amazing use of bump-and-normal mapping, AI spot on for enemies, weapons are relativly balanced, Multiplayer is more addictive than crack(especially online), boarding completly craps all over GTA,story is immensive(I wasn't bummed with the ending at all)

Bad: Texture pop-up in cutscenes(pain in the ass), your AI buddies aren't that good of drivers, campaign is a little short, the game ends.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who has an Xbox, loves FPS, and has many friends. It also wouldn't hurt to buy the Official Guide from Piggyback, the art in it is absolutley phenominal, as well as the Official Soundtrack(IMO, the best game score ever. Yes, even over Final Fantasy).

Spire
11-11-2004, 12:19 AM
as well as the Official Soundtrack(IMO, the best game score ever. Yes, even over Final Fantasy).

Good job, quoting OXM and all. Try coming up with something original next time, k? And first off, Final Fantasy doesn't have the best soundtracks, although they're good. Secondly, while Halo 2's soundtrack is very good, it's nowhere near anything from Yasunori Mitsuda, Motoi Sakuraba, Michiru Yamane, Hirokazu Tanaka, and even Kumi Tanioka.

Scott
11-11-2004, 12:49 AM
I bought it on Tuesday afternoon, the campaign sucks but playing online is fucking sweet!

The missions are so long and repetitive that the campaign feels more like an endurance test, but online it is a whole new ball game. My fav. multiplayer mode is definately Team Slayer, first to 100 frags.

Pygmalion
11-11-2004, 01:48 AM
,the best games ive ever played are atleast 5+ years old, Graphics meen shit all.

Right on! My favourite game is nearly 8 years old!

ryan
11-11-2004, 05:13 AM
No console game can touch the graphics of a PC game with high AA/AF and a good ol' 1600x1200 resolution, but Halo 2 definitely looks nice for an Xbox game.

It's loads of fun to play, too. Playing on Xbox Live is always fun, too.
I'm enjoying it so far.
The campaign is a bit boring, yes, but it keeps me entertained when there's nothing else to do.

Spire
11-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Is it just me or does Halo 2's story keep getting worse and worse?

Liam
11-11-2004, 07:14 AM
No console game can touch the graphics of a PC game with high AA/AF and a good ol' 1600x1200 resolution, but Halo 2 definitely looks nice for an Xbox game.

Quake 3 or Lock On:Modern Air Combat at 1600x1200 is the reason 21 inch monitors were invented.

Scott
11-11-2004, 09:33 AM

It's a shooting game though, when were they meant to have solid story lines? And why would you bother watching the movies anyway?

Narg
11-11-2004, 12:32 PM

Havent finished it, or even got that far into it, but it seems good so far :/. Scott, you are what we like to call a "dumb" player. Go play Dues Ex, its a shooter, with an amazing story.

bob
11-11-2004, 12:56 PM
does it at least have interesting looking levels? halo 1 sucked ass in the sense that you play the on the similar looking levels over and over again.

Narg
11-11-2004, 02:19 PM
I think they are interesting, but then again, i thought halo 1's levels were aswell. Im a quake player, i dont get all hyped over level design. Been playing h2 every night after work with some mates online, damn im having some fun.

CFC
11-11-2004, 07:32 PM
Atleast multiplayer is good.

ryan
11-11-2004, 07:35 PM
i fucking suck at deathmatch lately. pissin me off.

kicking ass at everything else team-based (team slayer, ctf, territories, team oddball, etc), but i just don't have the touch in 1v1 matches yet.

ryan
11-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Quake 3 or Lock On:Modern Air Combat at 1600x1200 is the reason 21 inch monitors were invented.

You mean Doom 3 and the soon-to-be-released HL2 :p

Scott
11-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Havent finished it, or even got that far into it, but it seems good so far :/. Scott, you are what we like to call a "dumb" player. Go play Dues Ex, its a shooter, with an amazing story.

I've got it, but it's not my cup of tea. I prefer racing games though.

IBO
12-11-2004, 08:28 PM
To anyone.

If you don???t like Halo 2 it really doesn???t matter, because the few million people that bought it love the game, those who are less critical on perfection that is. Nothing is perfect, but halo 2 comes as close as it gets.

Halo is incredible online and the campaign is simply, phenomenal.
________
Recall paxil (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)

Spire
12-11-2004, 08:34 PM
Halo 2's Campaign sucks, I finished it yesterday. Multiplayer is where this game is at. And Halo 2 is far from perfection, the game that comes closest to being flawless is Super Mario Bros. 3.

Jacoby
12-11-2004, 09:02 PM
Halo 2's Campaign sucks, I finished it yesterday. Multiplayer is where this game is at. And Halo 2 is far from perfection, the game that comes closest to being flawless is Super Mario Bros. 3.

Damn Straight. I heard Halo 2's Campaign was very similar to Halo's. Which makes it like a chore. I'll still play through it, though. And yes, SMB3 is nearly flawless. Mmm.

Liam
12-11-2004, 11:21 PM
You mean Doom 3 and the soon-to-be-released HL2 :p

Christ, if you can run Doom 3 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed out *and* with 4x AA, I envy you.

Well not really, but you know what I mean.

ryan
12-11-2004, 11:27 PM
Christ, if you can run Doom 3 at 1600x1200 with everything maxed out *and* with 4x AA, I envy you.

Well not really, but you know what I mean.

1600x1200 with full AF and 4x AA at a very respectable frame rate, given the quality. It's somewhere around 45 or 50.
If I don't use any AA, my frame rate's in the 70's typically.

This isn't with Ultra texture quality, btw..just high. Need a 512MB card to really handle Ultra quality. Only difference is completely uncompressed textures.

Liam
12-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Heh, I play everything on low detail at 800x600, with 2x AA and get around 30fps. The game still looks incredible though, and still succeeds in scaring the living shit out of me a couple of times each time I play it.

That leaked Half Life 2 beta thing ran a whole lot better on my little old PC than Doom 3 does, so I'm looking forward to that.

Narg
13-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Future predicament: Half Life 2 > * for singleplayer
Counter-Strike Source > * for mulitplayer.

frodo1511
13-11-2004, 04:48 AM

Actually, I thought it was preety damn good-superior to the original(which, many think is the best storyline in a game.) I have to agree, though, that multiplayer is the best reason to get Xbox Live(LAN party tommorow:) Definiatly the best game on the Xbox hands down-awesome graphics, incredible sound(still the best score in a game, don't listen to spire:P), addictive multiplayer, and a great storyline for SP.
BTW, Ekkoes got a lower score than Prime by IGN:(

Narg
13-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Halo 1's storyline was shit :S ? how can people think it is one of the best storys ever, it had close to no twists, and was fkn boring as.

CFC
13-11-2004, 01:54 PM
I finished the single player last night. All I can say is it was average at best. Then again I did not buy the game for single player.

I'll get to test multiplay tonight, some friends and I are gonna set up a LAN.

Spire
13-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Actually, I thought it was preety damn good-superior to the original(which, many think is the best storyline in a game.) I have to agree, though, that multiplayer is the best reason to get Xbox Live(LAN party tommorow:) Definiatly the best game on the Xbox hands down-awesome graphics, incredible sound(still the best score in a game, don't listen to spire:P), addictive multiplayer, and a great storyline for SP.
BTW, Ekkoes got a lower score than Prime by IGN:(

Two very stupid comments. First off, Halo 1's story was generic sci-fi garbage. I don't think anyone believes it's the best story in a game, if they do, they're mainstream idiots who've never played anything outside of Halo and Madden.

And don't argue with me about the soundtrack thing, I import soundtracks all the time, and know my stuff. Halo 2's is good, but nothing compared other soundtracks.

IGN gave Echoes a 9.5, how is that bad?

MC117
13-11-2004, 11:34 PM
halo has the best damn storyline a game has had... (and yes i've played other games) you think marios got a better one?
getting better graphics than xbox on a pc will easily waste more money than most people can afford.
also, i dont have live yet, i'm getting it very soon (this week) i'll put my tag up here when i do.

EDIT: not to mention how awesome the soundtrack is.

frodo1511
13-11-2004, 11:49 PM
IGN gave Echoes a 9.5, how is that bad?

Because Xbox and PS2 fanboys are going to use it as fuel, saying how GTA and Halo 2 is better than Ekkoes, which pisses me off. MP2 has a better Single player story, but nothing when it comes to Multiplayer against Halo 2.
IGN thought that the game was more of the same(they were hoping for some more brand-new stuff than beams and visors aparantly) and thought that the game didn't need Multiplayer. Oh well, what do they know.

To keep this post on topic, I was at a 6 hour LAN party, with 11 of my best friends from school, who also love Halo to death. It was great, plus the fact that each TV was hooked to 5.1 surround sound, and the volume was turned up to the max:)

Elijahfan
14-11-2004, 12:32 AM
okay only i think about half way through, camgpian (spelling completely shot) seems much recycled but then again it's called halo 2. havent gotten a chance to play against anyone. sad really cuz everyone at school have been having massive halo 2 parties....damn i need more to know more people who play games instead of being involved in stupid horse riding, swimming, theater stuff.

Jacoby
14-11-2004, 12:43 AM
halo has the best damn storyline a game has had... (and yes i've played other games) you think marios got a better one?

Generic spaceguy fighting hordes of lack-luster aliens! What's this?! They're going to blow up the Earth?! Say it ain't so! Halo/Halo 2's story is laughable. It seriously make my friends and I chuckle at it's stupidity. I mean, come on? A robot with a British accent? The story is both retarded and embarrassing. I was talking with Spire earlier today. It's ironic that you said, "you think marios got a better one?" because Spire said, and I quote, "No one plays Mario for the storyline!"

Games like FFVII, Xenogears, etc have way better story lines. You can't compare Halo and any other game for storyline. Game X will win everytime. Halo's story and characters names are so uninspired. I mean, "Master Chief"? That's the dumbest name ever. Might as well call him "Winner Hero" or something.

That said, Halo/Halo 2 is my 2nd favorite game of all time. The multiplayer is just too much fun to deny that. #1 is the Zelda series (read: Oot) because of the story. In games with well written stories you feel for the characters. I never once felt pathos for Master Chief.

//Oh, by the way, about the British robot. There's this ridonkulous little flying sphere that glows when it talks and it's so annoying. And it had the most random accent. Wasn't making a dig at the British. British people are luffly.

frodo1511
14-11-2004, 04:07 AM
Fuck 343 Guilty Spark: Tantarus(the Brute) is the man. Anyone else think his white mohawk was totally ripped from Gremlins?

Narg
14-11-2004, 04:24 AM
Halo and Halo2's stories are shit. Go play Fallout, KOTOR, NWN, Dues Ex, Half-Life. Christ most games have better story lines than Halo. About the name "Master Cheif" i think it has somthing to do with the Navy Seals, correct me if im wrong. frodo, ure starting to sound less and less like a gamer, and more like a "person who plays halo".

Spire
14-11-2004, 04:36 AM
halo has the best damn storyline a game has had... (and yes i've played other games)

The most hilarious thing I've read all day, thank you. First off, Halo's plot can't touch the likes of Xenogears (hell, the end boss is God) or most other games. Games like Mario aren't there for the story, they're main draw is the gameplay. If you seriously believe that Halo has the best plot in a game ever, you need serious, serious help. Go play an RPG.

frodo1511
14-11-2004, 04:51 AM
correct me if im wrong. frodo, ure starting to sound less and less like a gamer, and more like a "person who plays halo".

Well, I've been playing Halo/2 for the past month now, so I guess I can be called a "person who plays halo:)

Seriously, I can't wait to play Ekkoes, Half-Life is already the best FPS ever created. EVER. And KOTOR II looks to have that same winning formula. But no game can touch Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Spire
14-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Well, I've been playing Halo/2 for the past month now, so I guess I can be called a "person who plays halo:)

Seriously, I can't wait to play Ekkoes, Half-Life is already the best FPS ever created. EVER. And KOTOR II looks to have that same winning formula. But no game can touch Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

If you're talking about Metroid Prime 2, then it's spelled "Echoes". That misspelling is super gay.

frodo1511
14-11-2004, 01:59 PM
If you're talking about Metroid Prime 2, then it's spelled "Echoes". That misspelling is super gay.

I guess you haven't been around the Metroid boards @ IGN, have you Spire?

Narg
14-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

sands of time was shit, and have u played warrior within ?, if not how the fuck can u say its gonna be awesome, christ man, make some sense please.

Spire
14-11-2004, 04:39 PM
I guess you haven't been around the Metroid boards @ IGN, have you Spire?

No, I only post at the EGM boards, where queer misspellings and slang are not present.

MC117
14-11-2004, 06:52 PM
MasterChief is a Navy rank... and its better to be calling someone by thier rank then by calling them with some goofy hero name...

frodo1511
14-11-2004, 10:46 PM
sands of time was shit, and have u played warrior within ?, if not how the fuck can u say its gonna be awesome, christ man, make some sense please.

Sands of Time was amazing. I mean, excellent graphics, nice storyline, and a cool hero. Only grip about it was that the combat was way too repetitive. As a matter of fact, I have played a demo of Warrior Within, and it fixed all the problems the original had. Free-Form-Fighting is the new shit in adventure games, where you do combat YOUR way, not the game's way. Also, WW has bosses in it. SoT had one boss(if you count the last guy a boss), and they are no pushover.
Perhaps it's biggest storyline is it's tagline: YOU WILL DIE. I mean, most of the people I know play a video game, and think of themselves as invincible, and don't even give a thought about dying. In WW, that's all on your mind, partly because of Fate, in the form of an unstoppable monster called the Dahaka. As I've said before(and OXM), this is Mature done ABSOLUTLEY RIGHT. It better get more respect than the original.

Narg
14-11-2004, 11:36 PM
^ sounds shit. POP 1 for life.

ryan
14-11-2004, 11:47 PM
on a note other than all of the bitching, i participated in a 40-something person Halo 2 singles tournament on Saturday and ended up winning in the finals, which turned out to be the best 16 people playing an FFA on Collosus (or however it's spelled..i forget :p).
cash, prizes, coupons, and pictures taken, woohoo. :p

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 12:28 AM
on a note other than all of the bitching, i participated in a 40-something person Halo 2 singles tournament on Saturday and ended up winning in the finals, which turned out to be the best 16 people playing an FFA on Collosus (or however it's spelled..i forget :p).
cash, prizes, coupons, and pictures taken, woohoo. :p

Well, my tourney had 16 in it(but only 3 copies of the game. My team ended up winning Assault on Coagulation, Team Slayer on Hangout and Waterworks, and I came in first on FFA with only Swords n' Nades on Acension. Only negative outcome was getting bitch-slaped on Team CTF Offense/Defense on Zanzibar.

Jacoby
15-11-2004, 02:00 AM
Well, my tourney had 16 in it(but only 3 copies of the game. My team ended up winning Assault on Coagulation, Team Slayer on Hangout and Waterworks, and I came in first on FFA with only Swords n' Nades on Acension. Only negative outcome was getting bitch-slaped on Team CTF Offense/Defense on Zanzibar.

Swords and Grenades on Ascention? That's retarded.

Spire
15-11-2004, 04:30 AM
Swords and Grenades on Ascention? That's retarded.

That really is. Where did you play this tourny? The adult day care?

Kriv
15-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Wait just one second, Halo 2? whats that? Is this some sort of religious fanatics who are out to take over the world, like the loveable mice from the cartoon "Pinky and the Brain." Which was created by a guy named Steven Speilberg who made that movie E.T. Which stared the actress Drew Barrymore who was known to be romantically involed with that werid Canadian Tom Green, who at one point was in a feud with Eminem. Eminem now being in a feud with Mikeal Jackson who had much contravesy surrounding him and McCauley Calkin in the mid-ninties. Who was in home alone with Joe Pesi who also stared in the movie Leathel Weapon 2 with Mel Gibson. So that proves it Mel Gibson is trying to take over the world!

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 08:27 PM
That really is. Where did you play this tourny? The adult day care?

At our community center. I have no idea what's wrong with you guys. I mean: small map, a weapon made only for close-range fighting, and speed to rack up 50 kills in 5 minutes. Something is wrong with the both of you.

Jacoby
15-11-2004, 09:00 PM
At our community center. I have no idea what's wrong with you guys. I mean: small map, a weapon made only for close-range fighting, and speed to rack up 50 kills in 5 minutes. Something is wrong with the both of you.

Small map? Ascention? They wouldn't have a sniper on that level if it was a small map. It even has Banshees. Geez.

Swords and Grenades at Lockout or Midship, k?

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 09:12 PM
Small map? Ascention? They wouldn't have a sniper on that level if it was a small map. It even has Banshees. Geez.

Hmmm... lets compare, shall we?
Ascension<Waterworks, Coagulation, Collosus
Small by map comparison

Swords and Grenades at Lockout or Midship, k?
Actually, we did do Swords n Nades on all maps, but as a whole perferred the spinning middle to be a great place to "mingle":P

Spire
15-11-2004, 09:16 PM
All maps. Now you're just really gay.

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 09:25 PM
All maps. Now you're just really gay.

Ok, I guess I'm gay for trying to see what map is the best for what gametype. Whoever played Counter-Strike did the exact same thing to see what maps were good for assault, slayer, etc. Just because you haven't dosent mean it's not good.

Spire
15-11-2004, 10:37 PM
I didn't write this, but I agree with it. It makes perfect sense when you think about Microsoft needing a Halo game to launch with the Xbox 2. Cut Halo 2 in half and release the second half as a launch title.

Make of this what you will, but maybe I said something a little too close to the truth and someone nervous. My original post on the bungie forums got 42 replies within 50 minutes and then the topic was locked. Shortly after that I was blacklisted (banned) from the forums. Keep in mind the bungie forums are automatically censored, so curse words appear as "-blam-", so I know I wasn't banned for language. I'll try to restate this word for word as best as possible, but I can't reference my original post because it has since been removed.

The game of Halo 2 as it exists now is not what bungie initially intended for it to be, nor is this close to the final product they worked three years on to complete. Lets start with the Halo 2 cinematic trailer (released in september of 2002). MC is on a ship and you can hear random chatter over his comm as he walks down a corridor: notice you'll hear things like "that's not enough to stop an assault carrier" and "its like the god damn apocolypse". They have called for reinforcements and the reinforcements are MC alone -- one man, exciting enough that it still gives me goosebumps. So then master chief ejects from the ships air lock and makes his dive towards earth. What do you see? A whole continent saturated with fire and nuclear explosions. That does seem pretty apocolyptic.

Now lets move on to the E3 demo (released in may 2003). MC flies into New Mombasa on a pelican with the sarge and a few ODSTs. When he exits the pelican, yes, it would appear to be a full-scale invasion of earth. Wounded soldiers all around, huge covenant artillery blasting buildings, etc... exciting! He makes his run through the city and then mans the gun on the back of the gauss hog. He rolls through New Mombasa with a couple marines, you see a few other hogs rolling around, streets intersecting in and out of one another, passages that lead to other areas... its a battle on a pretty large scale. A convenant invasion of earth.

Compare these situations to the actual game of Halo 2. Where is the "god damn apocolypse"? Earth isnt even being invaded. A few small covenant platoons go to earth for one reason or another and thats it. There isnt even a hint of earth being invaded in halo 2 until the very end, then the game ends. You can see earth from space station cairo and its untouched. When it comes to all this missing storyline, what went wrong? What changed? Who intervened?

The -single- level that does take place on earth is -OBVIOUSLY- a last minute change. Notice some similarities between this earth level and the new mombasa level from the E3 demo. MC still flies in on a pelican with the sarge and some marines, not ODSTs this time. If you really pay attention you can see the marines in the pelican doing the exact same movements as the ODSTs in the E3 demo -EXACTLY-. one marine shoves a clip into his rifle while another puts on his helmet, the same as the ODSTs in the E3 demo. Sarge even says the same stuff except this time he has a little monologue about 'regret'. Also notice at the start of this level, there is no text on screen telling you where you are headed. No mention of the city name, date or location. How odd is that? When the game starts and you see the opening cinematic, you get a date and you are told exactly what you are seeing; the covenant high charity. Even in the new mombasa level on the E3 demo, you are given the same information. Strangely enough this information is missing in the actual game. Minor inconsistencies like this can only mean a handful of things. This level was added at the last minute to replace the new mombasa level because the direction of the game had taken a serious change in direction because of something or someone. Load up the outskirts level and point your view to the rooftops and tell me what you see. You might not be looking for them but you'll see power lines. You have got to be kidding me. Its the year 2552... Power lines?! Things like this, the inconsistencies and missing -important- cinematic information just do not happen when you spend three years developing a game. It simply does not happen. You do not "hype" a game up to be an awesome showdown on earth between the humans and covenant and then make the -single- earth level in the game complete garbage. My god is that level ever so linear and boring. From point A to point B. Its not the "god damn apocolypse" its a god damn conspiracy.

Simply put, Microsoft is greedy. Microsoft made bungie change the direction of the game and gave it that awful cliffhanger ending. They ran out of time because they had to take out a lot of the content that was already in the game and replace it with whatever they could. Propbably why you end up playing as the arbiter so much. Its all filler for the missing content. Watch the limited edition DVD and check out the segment on the mongoose (the human atv). They say it was buggy and didnt handle properly, watch the video and decide for yourself, it was perfectly fine. There are a few misleading statements from bungie employees in this dvd. Its not their fault, they are just covering for microsoft. Like when they say that the new mombasa E3 level was the first thing they worked on. That is utter BS. All the vehicles had their physics and mass properties already. The character models and animations were finished. There were cinematics and scripted dialogue from all the real voice actors. There was an entire level designed. Don't tell me they spent the next year and a half to design the 6 other awful levels we got. Even with all the bug testing and all that, is not reasonable. 60+ people were working on the campaign mode while 4 people worked on the multiplayer. Too many things just dont add up. Nothing about it makes any sense at all. If there is truth in the fact that the E3 new mombasa level was the first thing they worked on... which already had so many features already implemented, what in the **** did they do with all that time in between may 2003 and november 9th?

Read any publication online or in real life dealing with halo 2 before its release. Whenever someone from bungie spoke about the game, the focus was earth. The cinematic trailer, focus: earth. The E3 demo, focus: earth. It was all supposed to be about earth. Would bungie intentionally mislead us to think that is was going to be all about earth and then smack us in the face with an awful game like this? I dont think so. You cant say that what i expected halo 2 to be was just what i had in my head. It is what we were -lead- to believe and what we were told it would be. This isnt me being disappointed because I believed too much hype -- this is me being disappointed because for one reason or another, "we" didnt the the game of halo 2 that was "promised" to us.

Think about it... the E3 gameplay demo was released in may of 2003, almost a full year a half before the release of the game. The new mombasa level was brilliant. They didnt have to keep the scripting for the level, just the level itself. Why take it out? Why not put as much as you can into halo 2 including that level, because it definitely had a place in the game. Oh, im sorry. It had a place in the game as it was originally conceived, but not the greedy stripped down micro$oft half-assed version that we got.

In conclusion... what do you think went wrong? You're a fool if you think they just couldnt fit one more level into the game, they could have put the game on two discs and added 20 (we wish) more levels very easily, and microsoft has the money for that. Don't tell me it was because of hardware issues, because its only a map. And dont tell me that you cant include a rocket hog or a personnel transport hog in the game because of hardware issues either, if you can support one vehicle, you can support another. You're being mislead in a number of ways to hide the fact that you've been shafted out of $55 for a game that is shorter than the original and far less enjoyable (aside form the multiplayer which is spectacular). Bungie wanted to give us everything we had hoped for, its just a shame we'll never get to see the godliness of what they had in store for us.

Go to www.bungie.net and look at the title for the halo 2 forums. They are called new mombasa. A level that doesnt even exist in the game (now). What kind of reasoning is there for that? Should that be reserved for halo 3 *cough* when you -might- actually get a chance to catch a glimpse of the city. Rubbish. Bungie said many times halo 2 would bringe closure and there would be no halo 3. Bungie also said they would "never specify a release date for halo 2 until we are certain we could release a finished product." That statement was on their main website the day that the release date was accounced. So why would they set a date for themselves where they knew they wouldnt finish in time and be forced to take out all kinds of content? They wouldn't.

Narg
15-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Ok, I guess I'm gay for trying to see what map is the best for what gametype. Whoever played Counter-Strike did the exact same thing to see what maps were good for assault, slayer, etc. Just because you haven't dosent mean it's not good.

No, there is no slayer "etc" in cs. as_ , cs_ , and the more popular de_. None of which have anything to do with halo game varients in any way. Also jacoby, the new battle creek, whatever its called, is a hell small map, and it has a sniper rifle :S. so does the first one, in the snow.

Jacoby
15-11-2004, 11:49 PM
No, there is no slayer "etc" in cs. as_ , cs_ , and the more popular de_. None of which have anything to do with halo game varients in any way. Also jacoby, the new battle creek, whatever its called, is a hell small map, and it has a sniper rifle :S. so does the first one, in the snow.

Lockout, the one in the snow, has a sniper, yes, but it's not wise to use it too much. Beaver Creek is alright for sniping. My point is that Ascention is really a huge level, where there's a lot of sniper places...

frodo1511
15-11-2004, 11:51 PM
Lockout, the one in the snow, has a sniper, yes, but it's not wise to use it too much. Beaver Creek is alright for sniping. My point is that Ascention is really a huge level, where there's a lot of sniper places...

I've used three primary, all the others are out in the open, where I prefer to use something a little more automatic.

Spire
16-11-2004, 01:28 AM
In honor of November 16th, I propose that everyone have a Half-Life 2 icon. If you need one, just let me know and I'll hook you up with a custom made one.

Kriv
16-11-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by: Spire
In honor of November 16th, I propose that everyone have a Half-Life 2 icon.

How about....No!

Narg
16-11-2004, 08:49 AM
it comes out on the 17th here, 12hrs time.. or there abouts :). Frodo, why bother with the icon, when u already said u dont have a pc capable of running it, and are waiting for it to come out on the xbox.

Jacoby
16-11-2004, 06:55 PM
it comes out on the 17th here, 12hrs time.. or there abouts :). Frodo, why bother with the icon, when u already said u dont have a pc capable of running it, and are waiting for it to come out on the xbox.

No he's just a whore.

MP2 today. *ejaculates*

Spire
16-11-2004, 10:06 PM
I have Half-Life 2 and Metroid Prime 2. And I can already tell you that both of their single playermodes kick Halo 2 in the face.

frodo1511
16-11-2004, 11:21 PM
Frodo, why bother with the icon, when u already said u dont have a pc capable of running it, and are waiting for it to come out on the xbox.

I told you already, I have an Alienware, I just prefer my FPS on the console's. I hate mouse-look.

Jake: How's MP2? I'm going with my friend tonight at 7 to pick up his copy, but I want to know how it is. I heard the SP is more of the same, but still great, while the MP is preety good.

Spire
17-11-2004, 03:36 AM
Metroid Prime 2 is great as well. Nothing vastly imporved over the first one, but still a fantastic game. I've only played about an hour (been playing Half-Life 2) but I can't wait to get some time to play it. And tomorrow I get Baten Kaitos. And Thursday I get MGS3. And Sunday I get a DS and Mario 64...

Narg
17-11-2004, 04:40 AM
I just prefer my FPS on the console's. I hate mouse-look.

Your a fucking moron.

ryan
17-11-2004, 04:46 AM
mouse aiming >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gamepad aiming

p.s.-i fucking love my logitech mx510.

Narg
17-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Yes, about 100 times over.

frodo1511
20-11-2004, 04:41 AM
Your a fucking moron.

Thanks for your consideration. I was nursed on Nintendo gamepads, which are the most responsive, form-fitting, and overall best pads to play a game with. I'd take the Wavebird over mouse-look any day.

ryan
20-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Thanks for your consideration. I was nursed on Nintendo gamepads, which are the most responsive, form-fitting, and overall best pads to play a game with. I'd take the Wavebird over mouse-look any day.

nothing beats mouse aiming.

nothing.

Jacoby
20-11-2004, 05:47 AM
nothing beats mouse aiming.

nothing.

Not even ice-cream sandwiches?

Woot. I get my X-a-box tonight. Luuufffflly. And a headset. And a blah.

Narg
20-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Yeah, you do that, half ure response time, control, speed. If only there was a way to play ANY first person shooter vs you, you using the controller, me using the mouse and keyboard, christ, a cripple with no arms using the mouse and keyboard would hand your ass to you on a plate. You got no fucking idea, m/k > * now stfu, u got no idea what you are talking about.

Jacoby
20-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, you do that, half ure response time, control, speed. If only there was a way to play ANY first person shooter vs you, you using the controller, me using the mouse and keyboard, christ, a cripple with no arms using the mouse and keyboard would hand your ass to you on a plate. You got no fucking idea, m/k > * now stfu, u got no idea what you are talking about.

It's just his opinion. Christ.

And I decided to get a DS instead of an Xbox. Yay.

frodo1511
20-11-2004, 09:51 PM

Well, if you were to play Unreal 2K4 or CS, I'd take a gamepad. Every gun mapped to a SINGLE BUTTON, so you don't have to worry about hitting the wrong key, dual-analog joysticks, plus, if your using mouse-look, the sensitivity could be off the charts. Picture it: Having a sniper rifle and mouse-look on to 11 sensitivity, head in your sights. Just the slightest twitch of movement fucks up your aiming, resulting in you missing. With a gamepad, you don't have to worry about that. I do have an idea about what I am talking about: IT'S A GODDAMN OPINION.

Narg
20-11-2004, 11:06 PM
No, you have no idea, you are a fucking moron. Now hush poindexta.

ryan
21-11-2004, 06:11 AM
Well, if you were to play Unreal 2K4 or CS, I'd take a gamepad. Every gun mapped to a SINGLE BUTTON, so you don't have to worry about hitting the wrong key, dual-analog joysticks, plus, if your using mouse-look, the sensitivity could be off the charts. Picture it: Having a sniper rifle and mouse-look on to 11 sensitivity, head in your sights. Just the slightest twitch of movement fucks up your aiming, resulting in you missing. With a gamepad, you don't have to worry about that. I do have an idea about what I am talking about: IT'S A GODDAMN OPINION.

while it is your opinion, using a keyboard and mouse is much, much, much more accurate than a gamepad...i'm fairly decent with aiming in Halo/Halo 2, but good god would I be a sniping fiend if I could use my keyboard and mouse with an Xbox and get a true PC-like feel out of it. it's just totally different.
i'd take on any person with a gamepad any day and not even sweat it.

Scott
21-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Well I'll take the controller. I don't play too many games on my PC, so I just feel more at home with a controller in my hands.

aspro
21-11-2004, 01:18 PM
I grew up on the mouse/keyboard combo, ,I always feel as if i cant control the controllers fast enough, I think i also like the feeling on moving my hand around, habit i guess :)

frodo1511
21-11-2004, 02:55 PM
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/954/SmartJoy-FRAG-Review/p1/

The SmartJoy FRAG adapter will let you play with a mouse and keyboard instead of an Xbox/PS2 controller. Preety cool if you think about it.

ryan
21-11-2004, 04:23 PM
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/954/SmartJoy-FRAG-Review/p1/

The SmartJoy FRAG adapter will let you play with a mouse and keyboard instead of an Xbox/PS2 controller. Preety cool if you think about it.

I'm aware of it, but it's not like the true keyboard/mouse experience. It's not as accurate or as smooth, since the movements of the mouse have to be translated into the 256 different ways/directions the joystick thing can move. Plus, the sensitivity cannot be turned up as high, etc.
It's something I might consider getting though. I'm not sure if it'll be worth it for the few extra kills in Halo 2 that I'll get for switching. I'd like to be able to try it out before I buy it, but that won't happen. :p

Narg
21-11-2004, 11:45 PM
It feels like shit, ive tried it :/.