PDA

View Full Version : The Benevolent Dictator Thread

hasselbrad
02-11-2004, 09:19 PM
In approximately 30 minutes, I will be leaving work to cast my vote in our election. Sadly, in virtually every race from President to County Commissioner, I feel as if I am voting for the lesser of two evils. In several of the races, I fear I am going to be forced to hold my nose as I cast my vote. This is what our two party system has done to the political process.

Therefore, rather than create another political thread revolving around the pig sty that is American politics, I thought I'd allow everyone (how benevolent of me) to be appointed "Benevolent Dictator" of their own country for a year. Within that year you are able to make changes to policy without the approval of others.

Be serious. Be silly. Whatever. I just thought it might be interesting.

I'll start by repealing the 16th Amendment (Income Tax) to the Constitution. I would institute a 23% national sales tax across the board. Harvard economists estimate that the abolition of the income tax would cause consumer prices to drop approximately 21%. The sales tax would only apply to new goods purchased and I would reserve the right to add a luxury sur-tax to items above a certain threshold.
Next, I'd decriminalize drug use. Prohibition didn't work in the 1920s, and it sure as hell isn't working now.
Then, I'd overhaul the military. Top shelf technology and more spooks.
Finally, I'd have representatives from every single government agency appear before me to explain what it is they do. Then, I'd decide what needs to remain federalized, and what duties should be left to the states.
Oh...and Topless Tuesdays. It's the law! :icon_bigg

Narg
02-11-2004, 10:42 PM
No Pants!

Liam
02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Don't they do that in Maitland already? Or did I just happen to chance upon a pub at closing time?

Narg
02-11-2004, 10:51 PM
We do that in Maitland, though I'm not sure what pub you were visiting.. .they all do it.

May have been the homosexual fantasy D&D sex party I was at.

Mags
02-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Do it for real (http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/65888/logout=1)

Or as real as you'll get on the internet anyway.

Hazzle
03-11-2004, 01:06 AM
Yeah...and join our group of nations...The Realm of the Knighted...it's fading fast...Ducky, Baz etc were all too fucking lazy to keep up their duties.

I don't do being "benevolent":

1) I would make sure that someone in government employ wearing strange and funky clothes would REGULARLY climb up on some major monument in the capital city and denounce me and rally the masses to rebellion. That way the citizens will be jaded in case the real thing ever comes along.

2) I would build myself a giant fortress. But I would fit it with standard-sized doors. Whilst elaborate 60-foot high double-doors definitely impress the masses they are hard to close quickly in an emergency.

3) I would of course attract attention from the most beautiful women in the world (they already want me and I have no power...imagine if I was in charge of my own country?). However should I find my beautiful consort with access to my fortress has been associating with my political opponents I'll have her executed. It's regrettable but new consorts are much easier to get than new fortresses and maybe the next one will listen at the orientation meeting.

4) I would of course lock up all my political opponents. I will instruct my guards when checking a cell that appears empty to look for the chamber pot. If the chamber pot is still there, then the prisoner has escaped and they may enter and search for clues. If the chamber pot is not there, then either the prisoner is perched above the lintel waiting to strike them with it or else he decided to take it as a souvenir (in which case he is obviously deeply disturbed and poses no threat). Either way, there's no point in entering.

5) I will not make alliances with those more powerful than myself. Such a person would only double-cross me in my moment of glory. I will make alliances with those less powerful than myself. I will then double-cross them in their moment of glory.

deviljet88
03-11-2004, 07:09 AM
WTF is with that game... I'm shocked that they placed the default flag as the Australian Indegionous flag. What do they want, the Aborigines to revolt against the Australians to form their own nation or something??? Topless Tuesdays seems good... if I had a better looking chest.

Edit: Joined your region.

bob
03-11-2004, 02:08 PM
i would take an economic rationalist approach, tinged with my personal touches of prejudice and bias.

i remember planning this (world domination) with my friend... i think i said something along the lines of killing off everyone who was a burden on society. basically those who returned less than they took. ie - people with certain disabilities, terminally ill, dole bludgers, hardcore unemployed, etc. there was also something pertaining to idiots and how to get rid of them, but we came up with it so long ago that i seriously can't remember any more.

- i can't play strategy/logic games like that. when i played 'simcity' the population was always unhappy about something, with 'theme park' customer satisfaction would be down, in 'simtower' there were problems i couldn't even fathom, with 'theme hospital' people kept dieing (it was scary and depressing) and with 'civilisation' there'd be starvation and invasions.

lesson learnt? i really shouldn't be placed in charge :icon_err:

hasselbrad
03-11-2004, 02:19 PM
i would take an economic rationalist approach, tinged with my personal touches of prejudice and bias.

i remember planning this (world domination) with my friend... i think i said something along the lines of killing off everyone who was a burden on society. basically those who returned less than they took. ie - people with certain disabilities, terminally ill, dole bludgers, hardcore unemployed, etc. there was also something pertaining to idiots and how to get rid of them, but we came up with it so long ago that i seriously can't remember any more.

- i can't play strategy/logic games like that. when i played 'simcity' the population was always unhappy about something, with 'theme park' customer satisfaction would be down, in 'simtower' there were problems i couldn't even fathom, with 'theme hospital' people kept dieing (it was scary and depressing) and with 'civilisation' there'd be starvation and invasions.

lesson learnt? i really shouldn't be placed in charge :icon_err:

Bah...you can't please everyone all of the time.
I would test radical medical treatments on the disabled and terminal.
Kill the rest. :icon_eplu

PhoeniX
03-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Do it for real (http://www.nationstates.net/cgi-bin/index.cgi/65888/logout=1)

Or as real as you'll get on the internet anyway.

I'm quite enjoying that site. So far

Hazzle
04-11-2004, 12:55 AM
I'm liking Bob's ideas. You really should come play Nationstates...the beauty of it is you really can't fuck up the country you take charge of...it may not progress as quickly or have a few set backs...but there's always room for change...

I actually always said we should kill off useless people...except for me of course...since I'd be in charge...and therefore "useful" by proxy. Or something. I mean we can't go killing Teh Haz.

bob
04-11-2004, 01:09 AM
ah! now i remember. we had a points system not dissimiliar from australia's immigration system. people at the bottom had to meet certain criteria which would determine if they were still useful or not. something like that. and i think idiots had to go through literacy tests and exams and whatnot. hahaha.... so discriminatory.

the problem is, it'd be impossible to maintain power. everyone would revolt and try to kill me (and probably succeed) ah well....

Hazzle
04-11-2004, 02:26 AM
the problem is, it'd be impossible to maintain power. everyone would revolt and try to kill me (and probably succeed) ah well....

And that's where the first part of MY plan works well :D

bob
04-11-2004, 04:03 AM
it's an interesting approach... but somehow i think a large enough portion of the public would be able to see through it and start their own revolution regardless.

in order for me to stay in power i would have to have the support of the majority of the population, including the lower working classes. problem presented is humanitarian values. everyone would have to agree with my sadistic approach to government, something which i don't think is possible.

Hazzle
04-11-2004, 11:59 PM
it's an interesting approach... but somehow i think a large enough portion of the public would be able to see through it and start their own revolution regardless.

But y'see...if the people you're trying to weed out are the useless ones most of them are bound to either be too stupid to spot it or too senile...the intelligent ones have no reason to rebel :)

in order for me to stay in power i would have to have the support of the majority of the population, including the lower working classes.

True, but again...those who're intelligent have no reason to rebel, do they? Propoganda also comes in handy...arrrr.

problem presented is humanitarian values. everyone would have to agree with my sadistic approach to government, something which i don't think is possible.

Pffft...propoganda. I mean ffs, the Nazis managed to convince a populace to accept their policies (sure, they faced opposition but they overcame it regularly).

Oh...and yet another thread is hijacked by Bob and Haz...arrr :p

bob
05-11-2004, 12:30 PM
but it's usually the intelligent ones who believe in man kind and equality. the intelligent ones are the ones who will question the propoganda. and i don't want to get rid of them since they're the ones who should be enjoying society.

and you see... i'm asian. and female. feminism has already been going backwards this past decade or so, so i don't see how i'd maintain control. unless i chuck a big brother and create some random facade by which i'll hide behind to control society.... much like the wizard of oz really.

Hazzle
05-11-2004, 07:48 PM
but it's usually the intelligent ones who believe in man kind and equality. the intelligent ones are the ones who will question the propoganda. and i don't want to get rid of them since they're the ones who should be enjoying society.

and you see... i'm asian. and female. feminism has already been going backwards this past decade or so, so i don't see how i'd maintain control. unless i chuck a big brother and create some random facade by which i'll hide behind to control society.... much like the wizard of oz really.

I'm liking the way you're thinking. I love the facade idea...awesomeness...I think I'll steal it.

Hey...I'm intelligent and I don't believe in any of that mankind equality bollocks. Cynicism is the true mark of intelligence...true story.

DragonRat
05-11-2004, 07:52 PM
Cynicism is the true mark of intelligence...true story.

Cynicism or skepticism?

Hazzle
05-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Cynicism or skepticism?

In this particular context, I meant what I said. Cynics believe people are motivated by self-interest. Thus they are likely to be so motivated themselves. And thus likely to not care about human rights etc.

Skepticism, however, is also a good trait for an intelligent person to have. I'd say a healthy dose of BOTH is necessary.