PDA

View Full Version : The truth about "witches"

Nick
27-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Halloween is coming up so I figured I'd set some things straight. There are of course all sorts of crazy urban legends out there about children being abducted and sacrificed by "Satanist witches". This is so totally blown out of proportion. For one thing there is no such thing as a "Satanist witch", Satanism and witchcraft are two completely different religions.
The reason witchcraft is confused with Satanism goes back to the Middle Ages when the Catholic Church decided to burn people at the stake who were still practicing their old pagan religions. In order to get the cooperation of the general public they told people that the pagans were worshipping Satan, when in reality the pagans (Celts, Picts, Gauls, etc.) didn't even believe in Satan. They were simply performing their traditional ceremonies.
Alas the majority of the public believed what the Church told them and they labeled the pagans Satanists simply because the Church felt threatened. After all they couldn't allow people to practice whatever religion they wanted because that would mean the Church would lose its iron grip on Europe.
The religion of "Satanism" wasn't even created until the 1960's and it was only created by people who basically were just being rebellious and thought they'd really stick it to the "institution" if they labeled themsleves "Satanists".
Witchcraft however is different, it is practiced by people who call themselves Wicca's. They simply just take beliefs from some of the ancient European tribes such as Celts, Gauls, and even Norse mythology and combine them together.
So just remember when you here people talking about "witches" taking children away there is really very little threat. I've met a couple of people who claim to be witches and as strange as they may be, they are really pretty much harmless. Of course I'm sure there are a select few who might be totally insane but you have zealots in every religion, even Christianity. Hence the reason religion is absurd.

I'm sure some of the conservative fundamentalists in here will label me a Satanist now but oh well. :icon_twis Happy Halloween! :icon_eplu

deviljet88
27-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Ooo I'm scared. The bucktoothed witch is gonna kill me!!! *screams* Happy Halloween to you Americans.

PhoeniX
27-10-2004, 09:07 AM
I think one of my elder sisters is a witch, she goes to stonehenge and makes wands out of pieces of yew tree and cuts her wrist and burns it to make magic wands. But I think shes stopping that now

Nick
27-10-2004, 09:07 AM
You poor Australians are so deprived. Halloween is the greatest holiday ever. You get to play practical jokes on people and scare the shit out of little kids and steal their candy. Not to mention there's lots of partying :icon_guin . How much more fun can a holiday be?

I think one of my elder sisters is a witch, she goes to stonehenge and makes wands out of pieces of yew tree and cuts her wrist and burns it to make magic wands. But I think shes stopping that now

I heard they'd blocked stonehenge off so you can only view it from a distance because people kept vandalizing it, but I could be wrong considering I live about 10,000 miles away.
As for your sister being a witch I'm sure it's just a phase. I've never really gone through that phase myself but I know a lot of teenagers and young adults do go through that whole "gothic" phase.

Liam
27-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Deprived? I call it lucky.

PhoeniX
27-10-2004, 09:31 AM
As for your sister being a witch I'm sure it's just a phase. I've never really gone through that phase myself but I know a lot of teenagers and young adults do go through that whole "gothic" phase.

I hope so

LoveKeria
27-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Ok, just for your information, not all witches are "goths". In fact, hardly any of them are. I know this from having many friends and family that are witches. Once apon a time I went to wiccan meetings, i still go occationally, anyway, the people there are so nice, and only one or two of them you would call "goth". [Usually about 10-12 people there] Also, my aunty on my mothers side is a witch, and she is one of the nicest, most beautiful people i know. My aunty is in NO sence of the word a "goth", she is so far from it. She works in an environmentalist place, i can't remember exaclty what but she is very environment focused and not at all "goth". So you saying that witches are goths is completely false as a generalisation. Also, being a witch is not a phase. It can be for some people, but it's not like a desease you get over. And Bellum, as for your sister who was cutting herself a stonehenge. Ask any real wiccan, or witch wether or not they endorse this practice, and i assure you they will not. Wiccan, and witches alike, so not endorse harm of anything or anyone, this is a myth, feed to you by the church. I have been around witches majority of my life, they are caring people who would not hurt you.

Get your facts strait people.

If your going to generalise do it this way, we know theyre are always bad seeds, but saying that everyone is that way is just rediculus.

As for what Nick was saying - hes right...Satanism and Witchcraft or Wiccancraft, are two COMPLETELY different things.

hasselbrad
27-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...hadn't really seen anything about witches and satanists abducting kids. Mostly it's scummy 50 year old men with stringy ponytails driving white, two door Cadillacs. (Actually taken from today's news on the radio)
Witches aren't scary. They're kind of funny.

LoveKeria
27-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Hmmm...hadn't really seen anything about witches and satanists abducting kids. Mostly it's scummy 50 year old men with stringy ponytails driving white, two door Cadillacs. (Actually taken from today's news on the radio)
Witches aren't scary. They're kind of funny.

Scummy 50 year old men? I dont know any 50 year old men that are witches, you must be thinking of the mormans.

hasselbrad
27-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Scummy 50 year old men? I dont know any 50 year old men that are witches, you must be thinking of the mormans.

Umm, yeah...my point was that witches aren't blamed for abductions...or at least that I haven't heard the urban legends of which Nick speaks.
Waking up in a tub of ice missing kidneys...yes.
Satanic witches abducting kids for sacrifice...not so much.

Ardnax
27-10-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm a witch myself and there is nothing scary about me. I'm not a satanist and I don't sacrifise children. Basicly I'm a child myself.

LoveKeria
27-10-2004, 09:19 PM
hasselbrad: Then i missunderstood you, sorry. But, Witches dont do the bath of ice wake up without your kindneys stunt ether. Sorry.

Ardnax: What kinda of witch are you? I mean like, Alexandrian, garenderian, eclectic, summeric, you all all of those...

hasselbrad
27-10-2004, 09:29 PM
hasselbrad: Then i missunderstood you, sorry. But, Witches dont do the bath of ice wake up without your kindneys stunt ether. Sorry.

Ardnax: What kinda of witch are you? I mean like, Alexandrian, garenderian, eclectic, summeric, you all all of those...

Yeah...I can be rather unclear at times. I've been hit in the head. A lot.
I was just saying how I hadn't heard of the "witches nabbing kids" urban legend.
How dare you read what I write and not what I think. :p

Bait
27-10-2004, 10:54 PM
2 years ago i went bag stealing before we left for a party, well...i got caught and they called the cops the cop picked me and my friend up and made us give his candy back and laughed...such bullshit :\

frodo1511
27-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Well, I've read the Crucible/We Aren't Superstisious, does that count?

Elijahfan
28-10-2004, 03:51 AM
yeah i hate the whole crap of how most of the population is not educated about halloween or any holiday for that matter. but halloween is the best, i try not to think about the whole christian & pagan element behind it, and more as a FREE CANDY day where every child can join in!

going as God this year, got me my name tag that says "hello my name is" fill in the blank! super excited.

deviljet88
28-10-2004, 08:31 AM
I'm a witch myself and there is nothing scary about me. I'm not a satanist and I don't sacrifise children. Basicly I'm a child myself.
Woah, 14 year old witches? *wonders if he's a warlock by any chance*

Liam
28-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Looks like Jet has developed a crush.

deviljet88
28-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Pfft. No. I just find it strange to find someone young to believe they're a witch at such an early stage. Seems like a childhood fantasy to me, but hey, might not be.

Nick
28-10-2004, 10:21 AM
Ok, just for your information, not all witches are "goths". In fact, hardly any of them are. I know this from having many friends and family that are witches. Once apon a time I went to wiccan meetings, i still go occationally, anyway, the people there are so nice, and only one or two of them you would call "goth". [Usually about 10-12 people there] Also, my aunty on my mothers side is a witch, and she is one of the nicest, most beautiful people i know. My aunty is in NO sence of the word a "goth", she is so far from it. She works in an environmentalist place, i can't remember exaclty what but she is very environment focused and not at all "goth". So you saying that witches are goths is completely false as a generalisation. Also, being a witch is not a phase. It can be for some people, but it's not like a desease you get over. And Bellum, as for your sister who was cutting herself a stonehenge. Ask any real wiccan, or witch wether or not they endorse this practice, and i assure you they will not. Wiccan, and witches alike, so not endorse harm of anything or anyone, this is a myth, feed to you by the church. I have been around witches majority of my life, they are caring people who would not hurt you.

I was not saying that all witches are goths. All I was trying to say is that a lot of teenagers and young adults these days do go through the whole gothic phase and many of them dabble in witchcraft a little and for those people it is just a phase, but you're right not all witches are gothic. I've been to one wiccan meeting before and many of them were pretty much just ordinary people and they considered Wicca a way of life not just a phase. So I'm sorry, I didn't mean insult you or your family.

LoveKeria
28-10-2004, 10:37 AM
Thank you for appologising. What you said came across wrong.

Jet: The word warlock actually means oathbreaker, not male witch. A male witch is just a witch.

EDIT: It really annoys me how ignorant some people are.

deviljet88
28-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey hey, I'm not ignorant, I just get meanings confused :P I would've thought male witch is a wizard, but hey, warlock sounds more sophisticated, and plus its been in enough games as a male magic caster.

Ardnax
28-10-2004, 06:27 PM
, Ardnax: What kinda of witch are you? I mean like, Alexandrian, garenderian, eclectic, summeric, you all all of those...
I'm a Wiccan.

Jet: You know that I'm a girl right? And no, it isn't a childhood fantasy. I'm really a witch, not one of the fairytale ones.

Ardnax
28-10-2004, 07:19 PM
Satan is bogus. Something people maid up to scare little children. Wicca have total diffrent belives and it is the first religion that I agree to a 100% with.

deviljet88
29-10-2004, 06:18 AM
Satan is as bogus as God. That works either way.

Bait
29-10-2004, 08:38 PM
well... do you witches do magic? (waits for someone to tell me im ignorant)
i dunno i just think its funny...anyways halloween is ok because its an excuse to mess with people and go to parties :)

Ardnax
30-10-2004, 03:55 PM
well... do you witches do magic? (waits for someone to tell me im ignorant)
i dunno i just think its funny...anyways halloween is ok because its an excuse to mess with people and go to parties :)
it depends on what you mean with magic. people have diffrent opinions in what magic is.

PhoeniX
30-10-2004, 06:27 PM
it depends on what you mean with magic. people have diffrent opinions in what magic is.

What do you mean by magic?

Ardnax
30-10-2004, 08:31 PM
magic is inside everyone of us. magic is to be one with the natur. I can't tell you more than that. some things just have to be secrets.

Jacoby
30-10-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm a magician.

Hazzle
30-10-2004, 10:20 PM
I'm a magician.

With a tiny wand ;)

Jacoby
30-10-2004, 10:21 PM
With a tiny wand ;)

It still works.

But let's stay on topic. Witches...

Hazzle
30-10-2004, 10:32 PM
But let's stay on topic. Witches...

Don't talk about your mum like that!

frodo1511
31-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Speaking of witches, do we have any warlocks in the house?!
Count me out of this.

LoveKeria
04-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Frodo: As i said before a male witch IS NOT a warlock...warlock means oath breaker...but if your actually asking if we have any oath breakers here then consider me 'shutting up'.

Jet: Never said you were ignorant, just correcting a mistake. Anyway, yeah i think Wizards are more medieval, we don't tend to have them nowadays...its just all witches. Arnarx [oops probably spelt it wrong] is right...its not a childhood fantasy.

Ardnarx: Um...no i mean't what kind of wiccan...there are many different branches.

Fox: Actually witchcraft does not = wicca. They are two very different things. Witchcraft is more power driven, or can be used to describe the act of a witch. It's not a religion, unless your talking about the power driven people like you see in the craft. Yes, im saying that people do try to be like the people on TV.
Wiccan is much more nature based, and not about having power, but harnesing it to use for the good.

Bait: Magic is not something that can be described. Everyone has to come to an individual understanding of it.

deviljet88
04-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Let's get to the point, can anyone here do magic as in magic from Harry Potter kind? :) Greenies harness nature well enough as it is.

Ardnax
04-11-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm just a beginner so I don't have a "branche". Harry Potter magic, that is childhood fantasies. And yes LoveKeria, you spelt my name wrong, twice.

PhoeniX
04-11-2004, 05:19 PM
How old do you have to be when you 'branche'

Ardnax
04-11-2004, 05:37 PM
It's not a matter of age, it's a matter of skills.

LoveKeria
04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm just a beginner so I don't have a "branche". Harry Potter magic, that is childhood fantasies. And yes LoveKeria, you spelt my name wrong, twice.

Oh right. Sorry:| Sorry about your name too.
Yes, Harry Potter magic is, unfortuantly, a childhood fantasy.

Right, and i would have to disagree with Ardnax :P about being brached as she called it, or whatever. To have a branche you just have to do some major heavy research about it, and get lots of information, really it has nothing to do with skill, but just as equally it has nothing to do with age. Really, its just you making a choice to follow a select path of wicca instead of the generalised wicca.

AureaMediocritas
04-11-2004, 10:50 PM
How to detect witches :
Common physical characteristics that indicate a person is a witch :
Red hair , warts , blemishes , pock scars and "strange" eye and hair colour (most people had dark eyes and a brownish skin in the Middle Ages ,
therefore, blue-eyed blondes were the favourite candidates).

How to make them confess :
Torture , of course , what did you think ?

Interesting historical , random facts :
In England , witch-burnings stopped first : 1684.
In Poland , last : 1792.
Last modern european process concerning witchcraft : 1944 , London. (The lady was condemned)
Last (official) modern process : 1979 , Nairobi (Kenya)
Victims (approximately) : Europe : around 100.000
Germany : around 20.000 (blue eyes , blonde hair)
The statement of a man counted more than the ones of multiple women ;
all women were regarded as potential witches .
Eventually , the Roman-Catholic "Inquisitio" officially ended in 1834. :icon_mad:

Hazzle
05-11-2004, 01:23 AM
We should bring back witch burnings.

Nick
05-11-2004, 07:52 AM
We should bring back witch burnings.
What do you think black listing was all about in the 1950's? It was basically a witch hunt and it didn't do much good except to cause mass hysteria.

Liam
05-11-2004, 10:06 AM
I quite like the idea of an inquisition with me as chief inquisitor.

Anyone with an IQ below 130 would be burned. I desire a smarter world.

deviljet88
05-11-2004, 10:08 AM
That wouldn't be much of a witch-hunt. Finding people with an IQ below 130 isn't hard.

AureaMediocritas
05-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Witch burnings were very useful to settle personal scores.
So was collaboration with the Nazis in occupied regions of Europe , if I dare
advance this example.
Mentalities never change completely :) .

Hazzle
05-11-2004, 07:52 PM
I quite like the idea of an inquisition with me as chief inquisitor.

Anyone with an IQ below 130 would be burned. I desire a smarter world.

Slight problem; you'd have to burn yourself to a crisp.

LoveKeria
07-11-2004, 03:06 AM
How to detect witches :
Common physical characteristics that indicate a person is a witch :
Red hair , warts , blemishes , pock scars and "strange" eye and hair colour (most people had dark eyes and a brownish skin in the Middle Ages ,
therefore, blue-eyed blondes were the favourite candidates).

How to make them confess :
Torture , of course , what did you think ?

Interesting historical , random facts :
In England , witch-burnings stopped first : 1684.
In Poland , last : 1792.
Last modern european process concerning witchcraft : 1944 , London. (The lady was condemned)
Last (official) modern process : 1979 , Nairobi (Kenya)
Victims (approximately) : Europe : around 100.000
Germany : around 20.000 (blue eyes , blonde hair)
The statement of a man counted more than the ones of multiple women ;
all women were regarded as potential witches .
Eventually , the Roman-Catholic "Inquisitio" officially ended in 1834. :icon_mad:

I hope to dear god you are kidding.

deviljet88
07-11-2004, 03:09 AM
I think he's demonstrating how stupid witch-hunts are... Or he could be some maniac.

bob
07-11-2004, 03:10 AM
note to self - religion is evil.

deviljet88
07-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Note to self - Making your own religion and worshipping yourself is great. eg, Hazzle.

AureaMediocritas
07-11-2004, 05:16 PM
I think he's demonstrating how stupid witch-hunts are... Or he could be some maniac.

When I was little , I used to be a fire-maniac ; I always liked to stare at burning material such as lighted up, cut-off branches of a tree , burning wood in my grandmother´s oven or , for instance , our German neighbours´ home.
Witch burnings are not stupid ; they helped to prevent female overpopulation
in the Middle Age ; men died in wars (either in internal european fights or the
Crusades) , women got burnt.
I really cannot understand why people tend to regard witch burnings as
despicable nowadays. They are obviously stupid and overly sentimental. ;)

bob
08-11-2004, 01:41 AM
yes, pyromania tends to be quite fun. til you get caught out by a couple of random parents asking where the basketball courts are, all the while giving you strange looks as a few of you try to put out the bonfire in the middle of the carpark.

Witch burnings are not stupid ; they helped to prevent female overpopulation. they helped to prevent female overpopulation in the Middle Age ; men died in wars
but if a lot of men were dieing, wouldn't you want to build up the population to replace them? hence you'd want to keep the women.

Liam
08-11-2004, 01:59 AM
Slight problem; you'd have to burn yourself to a crisp.

Oh, harr.
You'd have to watch out for yourself.

Hazzle
08-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Oh, harr.
You'd have to watch out for yourself.

True enough.

AureaMediocritas
08-11-2004, 05:58 PM
but if a lot of men were dieing, wouldn't you want to build up the population to replace them? hence you'd want to keep the women.

Of course you are right here.
Nevertheless I am confident that God in person punished women in the way
they deserved it, and , as we all know, God shall not be questionned although
he seems quite sexistic. :)

bob
08-11-2004, 08:44 PM
indeed. and while i think you mean 'sexist', you make it sound like god is sexy... which i wouldn't doubt he is :p

Nick
09-11-2004, 06:11 AM
God shall not be questionned

To be honest with you, if there really is a God than I've got a shit load of questions for that fucker.

AureaMediocritas
09-11-2004, 07:35 PM
indeed. and while i think you mean 'sexist', you make it sound like god is sexy... which i wouldn't doubt he is :p

I apologiSe for the wrong use of the English language here ; I would in addition exhort you to write God in capital letters , seeing that we owe him so much and that He is sexy , if you don´t mind.
As for you , Nick , please avoid referring to God as to a "fucker" , just imagine He reads these utterly deliciously divine boards , which would certainly tempt him to plan his personal revenge on you already.
On top of that , the evidence of God being a "fucker" is there , but merely in one single case , if at all ; the intercourse I am speaking about as a good Catholic is confusing ; something about the Holy Spirit getting into Mary or whatever. We tend to believe that he was not personally involved in that act, so the poor old chap never really experienced the pleasures of sexuality...And you dare call him a "fucker" still ?
What about his very Son then ? I am sure that He , still amidst us , as you
know , will not be amused by the offense he will take from your imprudent
statement.
Paradise is lost for you , I am afraid. My sincere condolences.

Nick
10-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Aurea, how can a "God" that doesn't exist be offended by something I say? I don't believe in God. Well I guess I shouldn't say I don't believe in God, it's just that so far I have seen no conclusive evidence that any God or supreme being exists.
So I won't rule out the possibility that there is a God, but I won't believe in God either until someone gives me some hard evidence to prove God's existence. And the Bible does not count as hard evidence.
I've had Bible scriptures thrown at me my whole life. Believe it or not I was actually raised in a very conservative and religious home and I used to be just like you, I thought all nonChristians were hell bound. But one day I opened my eyes and realised that no one, not my preacher nor my parents, had actually ever given me a good reason as to why I should believe in God. They just opened a Bible and said "there's your evidence," but the Bible IS NOT conclusive evidence because there's no way to prove that what the Bible says is true. Infact there's less evidence supporting the stories of the Bible than there is supporting evolution. So until you give me some evidence I choose to remain an agnostic Darwinist.

AureaMediocritas
10-11-2004, 02:15 PM
Omniscient God will punish you for this blasphematory propaganda.
:)
No, really, he will.

Nick
11-11-2004, 04:53 AM
You know a question I've long had is if you need to be a Christian to go to Heaven, doesn't that mean you have to be a Satanist to go to Hell? And if that's the case than what happens to people like me who are atheist or agnostic? Do we just get to wander the universe for all eternity or what? That actually sounds like more fun than Heaven, I mean Heaven really sounds boring. There's no bad language, no drinking, and no bar room brawls. Being of Irish descent that doesn't sound fun at all, they've taken away all my favorite activities. I'd rather just aimlessly wander the universe because the universe is infinite so I'd never run out of things to go and see.

LoveKeria
11-11-2004, 06:02 AM
For a start God is NOT and i repeat NOT male. How could God be? If God is male wouldn't God have fucked up absolutly everything. Yup. God was most definitly FEMALE...and remains FEMALE. Anyway...God is not God as christians represent him...i've always had a problem with that. Oh and about the male/female thing...God is an entity...technically not Male Or Female...but you know.